Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Do you think Squirt will protect the chain from rusting?

Other wax lubes cannot do that from what I read here.

If so, I will buy some later on tonight. They seem to have a online store.

Also the ProGold seems to have many MTBR medals under its belt. My choice on buying one of these lubes is dependant on your Squirt review to come. ,

If you are changing to a wax lube, does this mean ProGold was gunking up your drivetrain like my Finish line lube does?

thx Rman

Reviewer/Tester
    The ProGold lube works very well, especially with full immersion of the chain in the lube like I used it.
    However, the Squirt offers several advantages over the ProGold.

1: It keeps the chain cleaner because it doesn't attract dust and dirt.
    2: It is a 'dry' lube.
    3: You never have to degrease the chain again, just add more Squirt.
    4: There is very little buildup of wax, unlike other wax based lubes.
    5: The lube lasts a long time on the chain.
    6: It doesn't seem to be affected too much by water and mud.

I don't want to sound like a commercial for Squirt, i'm just reporting what i've found so far with this lube. I have no affiliations with the company who manufacturer it and nothing to gain from testing the lube.

As far as rusting chains, my chains don't rust. I use Shimano chains most of the time, but have also run SRAM and Rohloff chains.
    Give the lube a try for yourself. I'm sure that you will be impressed.

Rainman.
    It is inevitable ...

mtbr member
    Hey THX Rainman for answering all my questions.

I read these reviews and they were really helpfull.

http://www.fixedgeargallery.com/reviews/squirt/

http://reviews.mtbr.com/blog/squirt-...r-lubrication/

I am now purchasing Squirt as of ....now. The online purchase went pretty well for thase who are interested in purchasing from their site.

I will only get to try it out in a few months HAHA.

Thx
    Last edited by gdl357; 12-16-2008 at 10:56 PM.

Reviewer/Tester

Good job! Squirt Lube...2 weeks ...

Well, the Squirt lube has been great so far, no complaints from me at all.
    I ride every day, and put a lot of miles on the bike so I can test components out quite fast because of that.
    The chain is still very clean in appearance, there is minimal wax and crud buildup on the chain rings, rear cassette and derailleur jockey wheels.The drivetrain shifts smoothly and quietly, the chain itself is showing no signs of gathering dirt or mud.
    The greatest advantage of this Squirt lube is that it doesn't require a removal of the chain or degreasing to work well. I have applied several light coats of the lube to the links and just needed to wait 10 minutes for it to dry, then go ride, it's very easy and straight forward to use.
    I can't yet comment on the wear properties of the chain and lube long-term, but will keep an eye on this over the next six months as I continue to test. If the product maintains it's qualities as tested so far, then I am probably going to change over to using it full-time in my workshop as well as on my own bikes.
    Squirt works very well in the dry, and also works quite well in the wet, although my wet testing hasn't been as thorough as I would like it to be so far, nevertheless I hope to change that over the next few weeks/months.

Overall, I like this lube. It's easy to apply, convenient to use, lasts a long time, and certainly does the job of keeping your chain healthy and quiet.
    I've no complaints, the Squirt does everything the manufacturer says it does, and does it easily. You don't need to use much, so a small bottle lasts a long time. It is reasonably priced, user friendly, and bio-degradable.

If it has a 'downside', it is a little fiddly to drip one drop onto each link of the chain, and if it is raining and you apply it onto a wet chain it doesn't dry out properly so the effect isn't as good as applying it to a dry chain. However, a little forethought about when to apply the lube will cure the latter, and a steady hand and ten minutes of your time the former.

If you can be impressed with a chain lube, then I can say that ... yes, I am impressed. This is good stuff. It works, and works well.

Rainman.
    Last edited by Rainman; 12-21-2008 at 04:00 PM.
    It is inevitable ...

Reviewer/Tester
    I'm just about done on this initial testing of the Squirt chain lube. Another week should see a final decision from me on this product.
    No complaints so far, the lube functions well. The chain remains clean-looking. There is some wax buildup around the edges of the links, but this flakes away as you ride leaving a clean chain.
    I've tried the lube in the wet a few times now with good results. So far I really can't fault the lube, it does do exactly what the manufacturers claim. My chain is smooth shifting, quiet and clean.
    After a new application, I notice some flaking off of old black waxy crud from the links, this lessens as you ride and soon disappears as it drops away, leaving the new coating intact and working in the links. Application can be a little messy if you are in a rush to get it onto the chain and squeeze the applicator bottle too hard. The Squirt lube just drips through the links onto the floor. However, if done correctly and with care, hardly a drop is wasted.
    Wax buildup on the chain rings, jockey wheels and chain is still minimal, and as the old lube dries out it flakes off.
    Most of my riding has been in dry dusty conditions here in Australia, hardpack covered with a thick layer of loose dirt and some leaves. I have noticed that the Squirt lube lasts quite a long time between applications in these conditions, which makes it an economical proposition as well as an efficient lube system.
    One more week of testing and then I will write up a conclusion to this test/review.
    I will continue to use the Squirt on a long-term test after that, but won't write it up again until six months have passed under my wheels.

Rainman.
    It is inevitable ...

banned
    I'd be interested in trying this stuff out. I never thought conditions would be this tough on lubes here, but they are. Ice Wax still works fine, and I've tried the lube from a European manufacturer with poor results, so I'm probably looking to stick with something I trust, as in the Ice Wax.

mtbr member
    Rainman, post some pics of your cassette later on.

Reviewer/Tester

Squirt Lube ... 4 weeks.

Here are a few pics of my chain, rear cassette and chainwheel after 4 weeks of Squirt lube use.
    The drivetrain has not been cleaned at all from the original application of lube, and I have applied the lube only a few times. I ride every day if possible, and in all weather, wet and dry.

As you can see from the pics, the chain is very clean looking. It functions faultlessly, is quiet, shifts well, and does not attract dirt. The older applications of lube tend to dry out gradually and just flake off, leaving a clean chain. I usually apply the Squirt with the chain on the smallest cassette cog, and this looks the "dirtiest" because of this. The bike has been used in both wet and dry dusty dirty conditions over the past four weeks, and as I said, the drivetrain has not been touched or cleaned.

One of the major advantages of this lube is that you don't need to ever degrease your chain again, it just seems to be self-cleaning, as is the rest of the drivetrain. Even after a good sloppy wet ride, the chain has remained clean like you see it in the pics, which is pretty amazing...imo.
    I'm impressed. Very impressed.
    The lube is enviroment friendly, a big factor in my opinion with the amount of pollution already in the wilderness.
    To put it simply, this product works very well. It does what it's supposed to do, and it does it well. I am happy with it, and can recommend it as far as short term testing goes. I will continue this testing over the next six months to see if it has any downside on chain long-term wear rates or not.
    For now, I give it 10/10.
    Try it for yourselves, i'm sure that you will be impressed too.

As always, I have no connections with the manufacturer and no financial interests in the company.

Thanks,

Rainman.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    It is inevitable ...

mtbr member
    Thx man.

Did you happen to check the chain for wear/stretch to see if the lube is really doing its job?

BTW I know your testing the lube out, but how do you resist not cleaning those hanging buggers on the chainrings...

Reviewer/Tester

Good job!

What happens is that the old lube flakes off the chain and chainring by itself as you ride, and as the lube seems to be self-cleaning, there is no need to wipe or clean the drivetrain manually.... at least, that's what i've found so far.
    Overall, it works very well...

Rainman.
    It is inevitable ...

Reviewer/Tester

Good job! Squirt Chainlube Update...

Nothing bad to report on the Squirt lube so far. The chain lube continues to function very well and the chain is quiet and has no shifting problems. Dirt buildup is almost non-existant with just a very light cover of fine dust on the outside of the links after every ride.
    I have not cleaned or brushed anything off the chain since starting this testing of Squirt lube. The chain looks clean and bright, no rusting or sign of wear. There is a slight buildup of wax around the chain rings, the derailleur pulleys and on the inside of the chain links but it flakes off as it dries out and new lube is applied to the links.
    The test chain [Shimano] has not needed to be "degreased" or cleaned since the start of the testing. The Squirt lube runs very clean ... there is no oil to splatter over the bike and collect dust and dirt because the lube is a "dry" lube. The rear cluster is clean with just a few black marks from the lube/dust.

I'm very pleased with this Squirt lube so far.

Pics to follow....

Rainman.
    It is inevitable ...

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I also use Squirt and can only back up everything Rainman has said my whole drivetrain has remained clean while at the same time experiencing very smooth shifting not too mention really quite now. It's one of those lubes that gets no mention or publicity but once you stumble upon it you throw out all your other lubes and just use Squirt.

Reviewer/Tester

Pics..Squirt.

Here are the promised pics, taken straight after a 10k ride in mostly dry conditions. The chain, chain rings, rear derailleur have not been touched since the start of the testing of this lube. No cleaning whatsoever, just the addition of some new lube.
    As you can see, there is very little buildup and the chain remains clean and shiny.

Rainman.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    It is inevitable ...

mtbr member
    Have you tried Dupont Teflon Multi-Purpose lube? I'm curious to see how it compares to Squirt lube. I've been using the Dupont lube, but my chain isn't as clean as yours. Also, I reapply every 2-3 rides.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rainman
    I went to order some, but unfortunately the website is not secure (unencrypted). Any US distributers?

Reviewer/Tester
    No, I haven't ... although I use teflon lube on other parts of my bikes.
    The Squirt is long-lasting lube and I re-apply it only when I think it is drying out a bit, which is probably around once every couple of weeks. [I ride every day] ... I always re-apply a new lot to the chain after a wet ride.

Rainman.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeDee
    Have you tried Dupont Teflon Multi-Purpose lube? I'm curious to see how it compares to Squirt lube. I've been using the Dupont lube, but my chain isn't as clean as yours. Also, I reapply every 2-3 rides.
    It is inevitable ...

Reviewer/Tester
    As far as I know ... Giant bicycle dealers stock Squirt in the USA.

Giant are listed as distributors on the Squirt home page under dealer distro's.

R.

I went to order some, but unfortunately the website is not secure (unencrypted). Any US distributers?
    It is inevitable ...

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I used too use it and still do on one of my bikes but for the bike that sees the most dust I use squirt on it. I never had an issue with build up of crud using dupont just make sure that you clean and total degrease your chain free from oil. I still use dupont on all the pivot points on the F/R Derailleur Parts as that stops all muck building up.

Having said that squirt is in a league of it's own and in my opinion walks all over dupont if placing on the chain as a lube. Squirt is much quieter and when shifting allot more smoother and is extremely noticeable between the two bikes.

Since you have used and tried dupont just go and buy squirt and test it and you won't be going back too dupont in a hurry.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by }SkOrPn--7
    I used too use it and still do on one of my bikes but for the bike that sees the most dust I use squirt on it. I never had an issue with build up of crud using dupont just make sure that you clean and total degrease your chain free from oil. I still use dupont on all the pivot points on the F/R Derailleur Parts as that stops all muck building up.

Having said that squirt is in a league of it's own and in my opinion walks all over dupont if placing on the chain as a lube. Squirt is much quieter and when shifting allot more smoother and is extremely noticeable between the two bikes.

Since you have used and tried dupont just go and buy squirt and test it and you won't be going back too dupont in a hurry.
    Just got some Squirt in the mail today (from Likin' Bikin'). Will it work well on my road bike too, or should I stick to ProLink? I tried the Dupont lube on my road bike, but it made the chain stiff and I thought I'd be losing some power due to that.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Just got some Squirt in the mail today (from Likin' Bikin'). Will it work well on my road bike too, or should I stick to ProLink? I tried the Dupont lube on my road bike, but it made the chain stiff and I thought I'd be losing some power due to that.
    You must degrease all drivetrain components so they are squeaky clean from any oil and then apply squirt. Your not going to see any drag on a roadie so go use it your going to be amazed. Once cleaned apply and leave for an hour before use is what I have found to get best results and use your dupont too lube up all the pivots.

Just be aware that squirt was more designed for MTB but I use it on my old roadie.

Reviewer/Tester

Good job! All Bikes ...

Squirt can be used on all your bicycles, on road and off road. It has the same results... = Good...

I'm so impressed by the lube, i've switched all my bikes over to using it.

Rainman.
    It is inevitable ...

Reviewer/Tester

Caution;  Merge;  Workers Ahead! Final Results on Squirt Chain Lube.

After about 5 months of using this Squirt chain lube on my bike in conditions ranging from dry and dusty to soaking wet and muddy my conclusion is that this is a very good lube.
    Squirt is a wax based product that doesn't attract dust and dirt mainly because it is a 'dry' style lube. Squirt continues to function well even in wet muddy conditions, although I found that you must re-apply a new lot after a wet riding session to get the full benefit of the lube.
    No more degreasing!

This is a real blessing. For people who ride often and find that cleaning [degreasing] their chain a pita this Squirt lube is for you. Just re-apply a new coating of the lube, let it dry for ten minutes and then go ride... You can save time, money and prevent pollution to the enviroment by not using a degreaser any more.

I have'nt degreased the chains on any of my bikes since I started using the Squirt lube.
    The chains remain clean and bright looking, there are no noises or rust, the chains are quiet and shift smoothly. This is a very good lube and I have no hesitation in recommending it to anyone. It has performed superbly for me over five months of riding, almost every day, in all conditions.

Try it out for yourself. The small applicator bottle lasts a long time, is fairly cheap to buy, and does a fantastic job of keeping the chain clean and lubed.
    This is now my favourite lube for all my bikes. It has replaced the Rock'nRoll and Progold and every other lube I have ever used before.

10 out of 10 and very highly recommended...

Rainman.
    It is inevitable ...

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    I've switched and will see what it's like.

Old chain was cleaned in multiple lots of petrol, then soaked (I VERY rarely do this), then degreased.

Then heat dried and fitted the next day.
    Wax was applied as the directions state and went "into" the chain as it pulled out some of the finer blank particles.

On a near new X9 system it's far nosier than Triflow and seems to shift a bit slower (but not bad). Only a few rides so far so I will keep running it. I am after a winter lube so this might be it but it is absolutely not as quiet as Triflow. Noise = wear so we will see how long things last running it BUT in the trade off between wet grinding paste and wax over a winter period I bet it's going to be better. Plus IF I don't need to clean that will be a good thing.

I may well run this on cheaper chains and switch them out. Much easier to clean gears properly than getting a chain really clean. This would be a good way to bypass any (IF) additional wear. As a winter lube this could be a great thing for me.

I had given up on waxes before as I found them not to last through a whole ride and hated that "I'm grinding metal to metal" noise. If this can last a few rides than I would be happy.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005

Another positive vote

I also use Squirt since a few months now and can only confirm the above statements.
    I am a daily bike commuter in Belgium so my chain sees a lot of rain as well as a lot of road-dust. Which arguably is what I consider as the worse environment, yes even worse than mud from our beloved woods.
    As have others, I have tried a few wax based lubes in the past but always have had to switch back to concentional lubes rather quickly due to the wax not being durable enough, notably after an encounter with rain.
    So up to now I have learned to live with the main inconvenience of normal chain lubes, namely that they pick up a lot of dirt and therefore need to be cleaned with a degreaser regularly.
    It was actually this thread that lead me to try yet another wax based lube, Squirt.
    But soon this lube turned out not to be just "another" wax lube since to my surprise, it does indeed hold up way better than the others. Although it is difficult to compare, I even have the impression it holds just as long as a dedicated conventional wet lube such as the Finish Line I have used up till now. But of course without any of the problematic dirt buildup. Since using Squirt, I have not had to degrease my chain once and it does not look like this will be needed soon or even ever. Which spares me a big mess as well as a not so environmental friendly activity.
    I do tend to use a bit more Squirt though than I used to use conventional grease. Although I am not sure this is necessary, I do this because I like to be sure my chain is greased well enough. In the past, I tried to limit my use of chainlube to limit the buildup over time of dirty lube on my chain and bicycle. But since the excess wax can be wiped of the chain and bike (and garagefloor) cleanly, I now use more just to be sure I use enough at all times.
    I have also not noticed any increase in noise compared to traditional lubes as described above, but maybe this is because I ride in traffic almost all the time. But if the noise is higher, I am certain this will be minimal as I otherwise would have noticed it. Which is why I am a bit surprised by the previous tester's statement that it's far noiser.
    And I also can not tell any difference in shifting speed, but it may well be that there is some.
    All in all I am very positive about this lube and I am now using it both on my commuter as well as my MTB.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by SurfHenk
    But if the noise is higher, I am certain this will be minimal as I otherwise would have noticed it. Which is why I am a bit surprised by the previous tester's statement that it's far noiser.
    And I also can not tell any difference in shifting speed, but it may well be that there is some.
    All in all I am very positive about this lube and I am now using it both on my commuter as well as my MTB.
    It was simple. I went from a properly adjusted system. Took the chain off, cleaned as I said and then applied this. Noise went up a fair bit. Not minimal.

I would REALLY like to see some wear testing done on this. If I remember I will email them and ask if they have had any done and if not, why not. If the product is that good and was mine I would have it done and use the results to push the product.
    I'm also tempted to see if I can get some done or a chain tested. Maybe sectioned and checked. If I was bothered enough I could also try to get a db rating of the noise. This would be a good indication of friction but that would be a bit of work. Start with a new chain, run it, clean and oil, short test then clean and retest with this product.

At this stage I feel this product is good for those conditions where you can't run a wet lube or if you are not overly concerned about drive chain wear. Out of the waxes I have used this is the best one.

I do not feel it replaces a web lube or reduces wear over a decent wet lube on a looked after drive chain. Since most guys just want to run gear and not clean this is probably idea for them.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast