mtbr member

Squeaky creaky M770 pedals....

...drive me crazy! They are relatively new and undamaged, as are the OEM cleats, both regular and quick release. I've used anti-seize where the cleats contact the pedal fore and aft and it eliminates it for an hour or two, only to return next ride if I don't re-lube them. I can wiggle my foot while still pedaling and it goes away as long as I keep wiggling, I can unclip and flip to the other side and it goes away for a while. The only thing that reliably and consistently stops the squeak is when I sweat enough for that to run out of the bottom of my shoes, and with winter coming that ain't likely to happen anytime soon.
    I'm sure that someone will chime in about how their CB's don't do this, but I really want to stick with SPD pedal. Considering maybe a Xpedo XMF08TT? Other suggestions? Are there any manufacturers of brass SPD cleats??
    Last edited by Noclutch; 11-02-2012 at 11:31 AM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    How long have you had them? The squeak may go away as they wear in. It could also be the cleats. Do you have another pair of shoes with the same cleats or a buddy with the same cleats that could ride your bike a bit and see if the noise is still there? The m770 is a good pedal I normally and I wouldn't expect noise from it.

mtbr member
    I have two pair of 770', one with 1000 miles, the other with probably twice that. Both pair do it and on different bikes. At first I figured that it was the cleats so I switched them out for new, and went from quick release to regular, as well as using them on different shoes (Giro and Lake). I've been playing with this for a year now. It seems that every time I mix up the cleat/shoe/pedal/bike combination the noise goes away for a while, only to return as the parts mate together. Then grease or sweat will work- grease for the first few hours, sweat for the end of a hosed in sweat ride (if I get there). Another commonality is that I run my pedals set quite loose- like 4-6 clicks from full soft release. Maybe I'll start adding clicks and note the effect...

mtbr member
    are you sure its the way the cleat interfaces with the pedal and not the sole of the shoes rubbing on the pedal?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by FLMike View Post
    are you sure its the way the cleat interfaces with the pedal and not the sole of the shoes rubbing on the pedal?
    If that were the case then definitely sweat would lube what is needed. And I guess the grease that I smear on the pedal only where the cleat could be migrating to the sole. and I'm using two different pairs of shoes and getting the same sound.
    But the creak definitely has a metallic sound about i and I can feel the reverberation through my foot. I can unclip and step in moist soil or pour water on the pedal and the sound will go away for a little while also. Last night I greased the pedal as usual( just under where the clip locks in) both fore and aft and had a silent ride. I'm finding that antiseize works better than bearing grease, too

mtbr member
    Update and complication-
    So I decided a different tack- I got some Eustar brass cleats.
    The squeak has gone away BUT, and this is a big troublesome but (that nearly ruined my race- grrrr), the cleats are harder to clip into and too easy to unclip from. Loosening the tension to help the first problem worsens the second. It does seem that I have a lot of shoe (Giro Privater) lug contact and tension making clipping in more difficult and possibly easier to unclip. The cleats are 1.7mm recessed into/below the lug surface and these brass cleats are thinner overall @ 6.7 mm (vs 7.3 for the shimano 51s)

So I was thinking of trying to shim the cleat away from the sole.....but with what?? The idea of whittling shoe lug away is something I'd like to avoid :/
    Last edited by Noclutch; 12-10-2012 at 04:21 PM.