Fox Shox

Spray-painted bike rims?

Hi guys. I was thinking about spray-painting my bike rims and was wondering what you guys thought. Will it look awesome or just stuff it up? Is there any special way I should do it? Any comments and advice are appreciated.
    If i go to hell i'm taking my mountain bike.

Currently in Exile
    Go for it. I don't see how you could go wrong.

Spray-painted bike rims?-orange_spray_painted_bike_tire.jpg
    "There are those who would say there's something pathological about the need to ride, and they're probably on to something. I'd wager though that most of the society-approved compulsions leave deeper scars in the psyche than a need to go and ride a bicycle on a mountain." Cam McRea

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by thredbo View Post
    Hi guys. I was thinking about spray-painting my bike rims and was wondering what you guys thought. Will it look awesome or just stuff it up? Is there any special way I should do it? Any comments and advice are appreciated.
    If your dead set on paint then yes the prep work is vital to a decent finish. Stripping the current finish via a liquid of some sort or perhaps having them blasted would be best as it etches the surface to start anew. Also consider powder coating them as it is far more durable than any paint will ever be.

29er and 26er
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by nvphatty View Post
    If your dead set on paint then yes the prep work is vital to a decent finish. Stripping the current finish via a liquid of some sort or perhaps having them blasted would be best as it etches the surface to start anew. Also consider powder coating them as it is far more durable than any paint will ever be.
    ^^^^

This is the answer. I would powder coat myself, but that would require you to strip your wheels down to the bare parts. Rim, Hub, Spokes. Have them re-laced when you are done. I've considered this at times..... My next project just poped into my head!

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    I would take the rim apart, Sand it lightly about 300-400 grit and then use Rustoleums Hammered brand of spray paint. I've done several rims and this brand of paint just really holds up well. If it gets hit or scrapped by something hard it will chip off but under normal circumstances normal wear it holds up really good. Sad part is this paint gives you a orange peel effect. Me personally I like the way it looks. As long as you can get the spokes back in and true the wheel you should be good. You can also tape it up and spray the hub spokes and rim but I would recommend against it. it'll look good but screw you up if you need to true it later. Paint on the threads of the spokes will lock it up.
    1993 Trek Multitrack 700
    2011 Trek Hifi Plus
    2013 WalGoose

Big Mac

Spray-painted bike rims?

I would leave 'em alone. But that's just me.