Wino

Sprag or roller clutches in freehubs?

Has this ever been explored or utilized in bikes? The ratcheting of freehubs and freewheels has always kind of annoyed me and working on or around cars for most of my life, it's always seemed to me that a roller clutch in a freehub would be much smoother and efficient than transferring torque through a few pawls in a ratchet.
    Me. The chosen one. They chose me. And I didn't even graduate from fu**ing high school.

mtbr member
    Shimano made one a while back, but I don't think the the freehub body is compatable with "normal" shimano hubs.

Try searching for:

shimano silent clutch

Wino
    Nevermind, I found this article while searching Silent Clutch.

http://pardo.net/bike/pic/mobi/d.winners-hub/index.html
    Me. The chosen one. They chose me. And I didn't even graduate from fu**ing high school.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by Gofannon
    Nevermind, I found this article while searching Silent Clutch.

http://pardo.net/bike/pic/mobi/d.winners-hub/index.html
    So you have no interest in one still on the market?
    OK
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

Wino
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy
    So you have no interest in one still on the market?
    OK
    I mean the article has the information I'm seeking.

taking in the scenery
    May 2010
    I have a Shimano LX Silent clutch hub from about a decade ago and I love it. It is a little heavy compared to LX cassette hub of the 1990s, but so what. It works flawlessly and doesn't drag in winter either. Good stuff.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Yeah, Shimano made one. The guys that ride trials love them because of their instant engagement.

But, Oh My, they are heavy. About a pound.

mtbr member

True Precision

A while ago Dropmachine reviewed a bunch of high end hubs including the True Precision Stealth. They liked them.

Reviews :: Dropmachine.com - HUB SHOWDOWN :: Chris King, Hadley, Industry Nine, DT, Stealth, and Hope

According to their website they seem to offer all of the current axle styles you might want, are made in California and have a 5 year warranty, they just cost the earth.

Stealth MTB Hubs | True Precision Components

Also Shimano seems to sill make the Silent Clutch for police bikes, but I cannot find them for sale any where.

Former Bike Wrench
    Cane Creek had a silent clutch hub in the mid-90's...I remember seeing one but they never really made production.

BTW-Shimano Alfine internal gear hubs are silent clutch

Wino
    The Stealth hubs look like just what I'm talking about if I had the coin to drop on them.

taking in the scenery
    May 2010
    Here's a Shimano Nexave NOS silent clutch hub, $60 & free shipping.
    New Shimano FH-T400 NEXAVE Freehub (Silent Clutch) | eBay

mtbr member
    I was ratcheting around on rocks earlier today with my 48pt hub and I realized just how instant the engagement is. You move a hair and you're moving, the play is difficult to notice at all.

While 48pt is distributed across 360 degrees, that means you have 0 to 7.5 degrees of free play. Worst case, meaning if you engage your crank at the exact instant your wheel is at the very furthest point in the hub, you have 7.5 degrees until it clicks. In reality, you're probably in the middle there somewhere.

The instant and super high engagement hubs are conceptually neat, but once you're on something with pretty good engagement... it starts to not really make a lot of sense, especially considering the cost (and how fragile some of those hubs were).

mtbr member
    I have a shimano IGH with roller clutch. It has an infinite number of points of engagement but engagement is not instantaneous. Over time I think a little dirt has got inside and slowed the rollers from moving into place a bit. I'd guess it engages in the 15-20 degree range right now. Its time for its annual service anyway, which should clear that up. I think the engagement time was about half of what it is now when it was new.