View Poll Results: Which ride has to go?

Voters
11. You may not vote on this poll
  • Casseroll

3 27.27%
  • Pugsley

0 0%
  • Conundrum

8 72.73%
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

Spouse can't do bike math(n+1), so which steed has to go?

I have wanted a Big Dummy for the L O N G E S T time and have just put a down payment on a 2013 that drops next week at my LBS. But hubby says one has to go since we have limited garage space and I already have 2 bikes an a unicycle(I really don't see a problem here, I ride them all frequently)
    So which one?

2011 Salsa Casseroll do it all road/light cross/race bike
    2012 Surly Pugsley Necromancer fat bike with cushy suspension goodness
    2010 Surly Conundrum mountain unicycle with 3.0 Gazz meat

My brain says muni because it doesn't ride miles upon miles at a time but is damn fun! I mess around on it around here and ride it on the trails a mile or two. It has helped me be a better rider and runner with balance and core work. And it makes me and other people smile. Plus....it's a unicycle....come on!!! So my heart says "no way!"

The fattie kept me riding all winter long. It is Cadillac like in it's rumble bumble cushy run over everything goodness. A blast to ride on singletrack, sand, mud, water, and just pavement even. I would miss the non thinking of riding this bike...it just is mindless rolling fun!

The Cass is the newest edition. I wanted a classic looking 10 speed type of bike but with newer components. One that I could ride around town and lock up. Go fast. Maybe do some light touring of a day or two. I do occasionally race Dualthons(run & bike, can't swim worth a darn) so I still needed a light enough bike to stick slicks on and be competitive. Tuck down and get aero on the HWY shoulder and blast some big chucks of mileage out. Cardio type stuff. But at the same time, I wanted a bike that could allow some singletrack and CX if I didn't want to pedal my 40lb fat bike. The Cass is my Jack of all trades ride....it does everything well.

So? Which one?
    Will the BD be closer to being my ride choice instead of the Cass or the fat most? My head says to sell the one the BD will be most like. But I give up my aero racing ability selling the Cass or the snow riding/slop fun of the fat or the mess around core happy smiling fun of the muni.

See...hard.....n-1 is no fun!

mtbr member
    Which one has to go? That's easy... the spouse!

Or build a bike shed.

29er and 26er
    Mar 2012
    Its easier to ask for forgiveness than permission. Just say'n.....

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Sounds like you're keeping the garage to neat and tidy (too easy to spot extra bikes). Work on accumulating some clutter. It should be pretty easy to hide a unicycle.

mtbr member
    I love you guys!
    Enablers....I came to the right place. There is still a few weeks to work on him before the BD gets finished.

mtbr member
    The spouse or muni has to go, you decide.

mtbr member
    If my SO were saying stuff like that (not enough room for all the bikes), I'd remind her that she takes up a lot more room than bikes, and if I kicked her out, I'd have all the space I need.

Just saying.

If it's genuinely about space in the garage, figure out some better bike storage setup - that casseroll is light enough to hang from something above the pugs, for example.

mtbr member
    If it's a space issue then get a vertical hanging bike rack to minimize the footprint of your bike storage area. Funny hearing this from the opposite side of the spectrum, it's always guys complaining about their GFs hounding them about new bikes.

Lord Thunderbottom
    I'd hang the unicycle next to the rear of the pugsley so it just looks like there's a single fat tricycle there

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Well, being that Surly ain't making it anymore, I'd keep the uni. Or, like others have said, wall hooks. Designate about 6 feet of horizontal space, throw up hooks about a foot apart, and alternate hanging the bikes' front and rear wheels.

Or, you could donate it to a balance-challenged individual

mtbr member
    Wall or ceiling hooks for sure! You seem to love each bike, you can make it work.
    I'm not a vegetarian because I love animals, I just hate vegetables.

mtbr member
    Yeah, I don't think the garage thing is REALLY the issue more than does one person need 4 bikes? But he knows I ride them all in frequent rotation and if I had a BD, my car usage would go down to practically nothing.
    But....the rest of my family doesn't bike often, which I think is sortof part of the issue, he is thinking wether or not it actually will see the use I foresee it getting vs the cost he sees. But errands are usually done by me alone anyways, so how does that change?

Garage pic, just for posterity....
    Spouse can't do bike math(n+1), so which steed has to go?-image.jpg

I dunno why it is sideways? But I see a rather large empty area that should fit another bike. My pugs is heavy, so I don't hang it currently. Maybe I should start? Pretty sure the BD will be too long to hang.

mtbr member
    ^ Now I see the problem. You have a car in your bike garage

mtbr member
    Lol! Exactly! Unfortunately, I do home daycare and transporting kids to and from school is my job. So for the forseeable future, the van stays. Sadness
    I think secretly, he is hoping the uni leaves. Utilitarian it is not, it is 100% fun frivolous expense. And it goes with the poll results so far. But the kid in me screams "NOOOOOOOO!"

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I see this as a storage problem. You're not using your space as efficiently as you can.

Along with the big dummy, buy 6 of these: Amazon.com: Delta Leonardo Single Bicycle Rack with Da Vinci Tire Tray: Sports & Outdoors

Put one per stud. Spaced 16" apart, put the bikes one front up, the next rear up, and alternate so the handlebars won't hit each other. With the bikes hanging that way, you'll easily be able to get 6 bikes across that back wall and still have room for the car.

All that means is you can buy ONE MORE bike

edit for visual reference

-Tom

mtbr member
    So upside down on the ceiling? My back wall is cement, so I would need to make a wooden grid and attach it to concrete wall if we are talking back wall. We have a split level home, so the two open walls are concrete all the way to ceiling and then the front wall isn't really a wall, it's the garage door. The other wall is drywall BUT my hubby's truck is there(a two seater truck, who's practicality rivals my unicycle! But a convo for another day...) and there isn't clearance to walk around the vehicles if we have anything more than shovels and tools hung there. Maybe it is 3ft from wall to truck side?
    We have no storage inside, my daycare takes up the basement in the split level and we use the 1126 sq ft updstairs(3bdrm) for us and 2 boys(ages 12 & 5, so they would LOVE sharing a room since they have so much in common! Not.)

Lol....I certainly don't want to disparage my family in any way. They are great guys and put up with a lot from this one single female So I am just trying to make everybody happy and work this out.
    Last edited by Nakedbabytoes; 04-26-2013 at 10:21 AM.

mtbr member

Doesn't everyone hide bikes at friends' houses? WTH? Get with the program.

PRETENDURO
    What’s with all the unicycle haters out there??? A Surly Conundrum unicycle takes up a fraction of the space that a Salsa Casseroll takes up. I would suggest keeping the fatbike and the unicycle. Fatbike riding is more fun than any other type of bike riding, and riding a fat unicycle is more fun than riding a bicycle with two skinny tires, in my opinion… but then I’ve been riding unicycles since 1979, so I might be biased.
    QUOTE from MTBR.COM: You have given Brewtality too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later.

pin it
    If you like all your unique bikes and you can't decide which one should go then I suggest you hide your bikes... cover them with a blanket or something.
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

mtbr member

Re: Spouse can't do bike math(n+1), so which steed has to go?

Quote Originally Posted by cyclelicious View Post
    If you like all your unique bikes and you can't decide which one should go then I suggest you hide your bikes... cover them with a blanket or something.
    She is exactly right. You know that sight problem all us guys have, the one where we can only see what is exactly in front of us? You women folk have been annoyed by this forever. "Me: Hey babe where is the ketchup? GF: In the fridge. Me:I'm looking right now and I can't find it we must be out. GF: Second shelf behind the almond milk. Me: Huh.. why would you hide it there? GF: rolls eyes." Sound familiar? Hang your new bike on the ceiling or throw a blanket over it and your guys will never be the wiser.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
    I'm not a vegetarian because I love animals, I just hate vegetables.

mtbr member
    Trade hubby for a bike guy that doesn't need to park his car in the garage.

mtbr member

You need to move the other hooks across a bit. That opens up more wall space for you to fit the additional bike, as pictured below.

Once you've done that there's plenty of room for a Surly Big Dummy in there. Turning the bikes end on, as suggested by trhoppe, would be tidier and allow you to have even more bikes than currently.

If there's any complaints about this there's only one appropriate response.

mtbr member
    Store the bikes in the bedroom and have him sleep in the garage!

Oh, and as far as the poll goes, none stay strong! Keep ALLLL the bikes!

Bro
    Where I do my thinking
    Pretend to get rid of the unicycle. But then what you really need to do is stash it somewhere in the minivan. When it's time to ride, just take it out when nobody's watching. If someone asks, you got rid of "the other one."

I've made some bad decisions like taking the gears off my bike. So here's the warning: Do not as I say, nor as I do.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Can't the uni fit in a closet? Ie a closest he doesn't go into or has clothing to cover it up. I'm sure my wife has shoes hidden in a closet I don't go in.
    Heck take the wheel off, stash the frame inside and claim that "extra wheel" is a back up for one of the existing bikes.

I was in this position too not long ago.
    It took 2 weeks before my wife noticed my new bike and the fact I still had the one I was supposed to sell. It has since sold because she was right I didn't ride it after my new ht.
    Not sure what will happen when I want to get that fs 29r though.

I say keep all 3. Hide the uni.
    2012 Yeti 575 Race
    2013 Niner AIR 9

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast