mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Sportworks Factory Bob- will it fit Thule/Yakima crossbars

Well, I currently have a Sportworks Factory Bob on the roof that sits on the factory rails of my Subaru Outback. It is my backup carrier for a third bike (I have the 1.25" T2 on my hitch). However, with a bike on it, it flexes the factory rails even though I have it sitting pretty close to the edge. If I switch to tougher rails like Thule/Yakima and want to sumply switch it over, I'm sure the Bob will flex the new rails much less (since the factory rails are cheap plastic).

So the question is- will the factory adapter used by the bike mount fit the square or round bars of the Thule/Yakima. I know I can just get the Thule Sidearm or Sportworks Bob Rachet if I get a new roof system but if this one works, I don't have to hassle with selling it and buying a new one. What do you guys think? The factory adaptors are simply a couple of curved metal pieces that go around the factory bars and tighten around it with nuts and bolts.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Well, I'll answer my own question. I called Sportworks and got in touch with a tech who worked with the old Sportworks racks. She said if I switched to a Thule roof rack, it would make the weak link (factory bars) become a much stronger link with no cause for concern. The factory adapters also fit Thule/Yak so I'm going to do that. Plus this way, I can throw a cargo box up there and not worry about weight limitations.