Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jun 2012

Spoke protectors?

I've seen this carbon fiber one, but it's a bit fancy for me. I've seen at least one person on here with a spoke protector.

So, are there any modern ones out that that aren't made of flimsy easily broken plastic?

Front Range, Colorado
    Quote Originally Posted by aBicycle View Post
    I've seen this carbon fiber one, but it's a bit fancy for me. I've seen at least one person on here with a spoke protector.

So, are there any modern ones out that that aren't made of flimsy easily broken plastic?
    Pardon me for asking but WTF is a spoke protector? and why would you need one?
    Last edited by DIRTJUNKIE; 12-27-2012 at 08:44 PM.
    ----------- __o
    --------- _`\<,_
    BRAAP(>)/ (*)
    ************^^^^^^Rock Garden
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqpcBpSsj1A

Big Mac
    I just use playing cards and clothes pins. Works great!

I build my own.
    Quote Originally Posted by DIRTJUNKIE, View Post
    They're legit.

I have a device that can access the total knowledge of man. I use it to look at pictures of cats and argue with strangers.

Quote Originally Posted by DIRTJUNKIE, View Post
    I think he's talking about the "dork disc" that goes between the cassette and the spokes.

they aren't really all that important. they mostly protect you from poorly adjusted drivetrains, which is easily solved. they can save your spokes in the event crash damage sends your chain off of the top cog, but that doesn't always matter. on my mtb this summer, I tossed the chain a couple times because the derailleur was wearing out. the chain got wedged into the hollowed space behind the cassette carrier (SRAM 990). honestly, my chain was in far more danger than my spokes, and I had to replace a couple bent links.

I haven't used a dork disc on my bike since I started riding and it fell apart on its own from weathering.

I build my own.
    ^^ Oops, not quick enough. ^^

I think he means a dork disk.

OP, is that what you're talking about? The plastic disk between your cassette and the spokes?
    I have a device that can access the total knowledge of man. I use it to look at pictures of cats and argue with strangers.

I build my own.
    It seems that you can buy aftermarket ones. I've never heard of anyone doing so.

Bike24 - Lightweight Spoke Guard Disc - black/carbon

banned
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Trail Ninja View Post
    It seems that you can buy aftermarket ones. I've never heard of anyone doing so.

Oh that? LOL.

Adjust the RD correctly and you'll never need it. Besides I'm lighter without it.

-S

mtbr member
    :lol

If you really think you need a spoke protector, then what you really need is a new mechanic.

Front Range, Colorado
    Oh sorry OP apparently I haven't been doing my bike shopping at Wal Mart. No you don't need one and do yourself a favor and don't install one. As others have said a properly adjusted drive train and you'll never have a problem.
    Last edited by DIRTJUNKIE; 12-02-2012 at 08:15 PM.
    ----------- __o
    --------- _`\<,_
    BRAAP(>)/ (*)
    ************^^^^^^Rock Garden
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqpcBpSsj1A

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Trail Ninja View Post

They get used on rental bikes, just because they get abused more.

I make it a point to remove them from any bike I build up. No point in propagating the idea that they're necessary.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Ditch the dork disk, you really don't need it.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    didn't know that part was kinda useless... and here i was worried it was falling apart

banned
    There are some riders that need them. After working in a shop for 18 years it is amazing how some people keep riding when the chain is between the cassette and spokes and do not stop until all of the spokes are cut in half. Usually a bent hanger will cause it.

IMO I would never use one.

usually cranky
    i think the technical term for what you are looking for is limit screws.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    **** happens. I'd rather have a dork disc and not need it than have a need for it and not have it.

So, let's get this back on track to who makes them instead of whether or not they're worth the trouble.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    limit screws, new mechanic....have y'all never bent a hanger?

My wheel's been saved a few times by my pie plate / dork disc. On a road bike it might be overkill. on a mtb, its not a bad idea at all.

if you run one:
    the downside-fashionistas are unimpressed, 5gram weight cost?
    the upside - save a bunch of money on rebuilding a wheel that rare occasion when your derailleur and hanger send the chain into your spokes

if you don't run one:
    the upside: save 5g, nobody notices that you're fitting in
    the downside: on your perfectly adjusted bike a stick bends your hanger and you chain goes behind your cassette, you stop quickly, but still some spokes are marred. either replace them as they break or rebuild the wheel and replace them before they break.

Unless you have the argument that they don't really protect your spokes ( and I think even the cheapo ones on new bikes really do protect your spokes) you're making a trade-off that suggests an awful lot of vanity runs through your veins.

of course this only applies to multi-speed cassette-type setups. rohlhoff's and single speeders don't need 'em.

I build my own.
    **** happens. I'd rather have a dork disc and not need it than have a need for it and not have it.

So, let's get this back on track to who makes them instead of whether or not they're worth the trouble.
    That would be post #7.

More?

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Post number 7 just listed the fancy one I didn't want.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Most bike shops would be happy to give you a few for free that they took off various bikes or that are lingering on destroyed wheels.
    They do age, probably ozone or some other oxidizer.

I am usually happy with the cheapo ones, but the tabs can break and lead them to move around making a racket.

I build my own.
    And post #18 contains a link to a Google search I did for you. What more can we do? Do you need someone to tell you which specific one to buy?

Most people who use them have said they are happy with the cheap plastic ones and just replace them when they wear out.

mtbr member
    May 2006

No basically they are all pretty cheap and fall apart.

I have a Mavic Xmax SLR wheel about $500 for the rear wheel....the spoke protector is very small and made of plastic.....I dropped a chain on it and it broke.....I did it again and then it fell off.

Once the spoke protector breaks you should have enough feel by then so you don't keep cranking and destroy the spokes or hub,

Quote Originally Posted by PretendGentleman View Post
    Most bike shops would be happy to give you a few for free that they took off various bikes or that are lingering on destroyed wheels.
    They do age, probably ozone or some other oxidizer.

I am usually happy with the cheapo ones, but the tabs can break and lead them to move around making a racket.
    plastic and UV light don't mix. that causes the discoloration. the increased brittleness is more associated with offgassing of the plasticizers that make the plastic more pliable. this is why I don't use them. more of a pain than they're worth.

Sweat is just fat crying.
    Buy a singlespeed.

That gives me an idea. I think I'll get one and put it on my SS. How much of a dork would that make me?

Don't answer that.
    Mountain Biking Is Not A Crime stickers, free! (You pay postage. PM me for details.)

mtbr member
    Jenson USA - Online mountain & road bike parts, clothing and accessories shop

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast