Thread: Spin classes

mtbr member
    Oct 2018

Spin classes

Hey guys,

I've got a couple questions I'd like to ask everyone to get some feedback on spin classes you've done in the past and how often you currently ride your own bikes. Thanks for the help!

What do you like about spin classes?

What do you wish was different?

Do you go to spin classes? If so, how often?

Do you use a bike trainer at home instead or in addition to spin classes?

How many times per week do you ride your personal bike?

Would you go to a class that utilized trainers instead of spin bikes?

U sayin' Bolt ?
    Spin class??? I always thought that was for people who didn't ride bikes irl. If you're a cyclist and at the gym, probably best to swim or cross train in some fashion.

mtbr member
    Feb 2018
    I don't do spin classes, but I do use the spin bike at my gym 2-3 times a week after work depending on my schedule. I only use the trainers if there's no spin bike available.

I do workouts off of Training Peaks.

I ride my real bike mostly just on weekends.

mtbr member
    Sounds very roadie-centric!
    Last time I was in "spin class" was in the Navy, practicing recoveries from upright and inverted spins/out of control flight. That was 30 years ago.

Bikesexual
    Don't like gyms, I have been thinking of taking yoga tough.
    The Orange Fleet:

'16 SC Heckler
    '14 All City MMD
    '12 Kona Unit Rigid

jcd's best friend
    Quote Originally Posted by jcd46 View Post
    Don't like gyms, I have been thinking of taking yoga tough.
    Trek Émonda SL6 | Octane One Prone 29

100% PRIME ALBERTA BEEF
    Spin class can definitely have its perks...

mtbr member
    I used to do spin classes after or before work, particularly in the winter, along with some resistance training as a way to get some decent cardio in on days I wouldn't otherwise be able to ride. The instructors sometimes have you do weird stuff, but it's definitely better than not getting any exercise. Like a lot of things, it's what you make of it.
    Do the math.

CEO Product Failure

Cool-blue Rhythm

Quote Originally Posted by zruppel View Post
    Hey guys,

I've got a couple questions I'd like to ask everyone to get some feedback on spin classes you've done in the past and how often you currently ride your own bikes. Thanks for the help!

What do you like about spin classes?

What do you wish was different?

Do you go to spin classes? If so, how often?

Do you use a bike trainer at home instead or in addition to spin classes?

How many times per week do you ride your personal bike?

Would you go to a class that utilized trainers instead of spin bikes?
    I have taught indoor cycling since 2011. Indoor cycling is considered "Group Fit", group fitness classes. The social aspect keeps riders returning. Fitness and social reasons are why people attend. The most spin classes I have ridden in a week is 17. I have both a trainer and a Keiser spin bike. The Keiser spin bike is better than my trainer. However a Zwift smart trainer is on my Christmas list. I ride out doors 4-6 times per week regardless of spin class. Regarding trainers vs spin bikes, for a commercial group fit class, spin bikes are the only equipment that will hold up: multiple users who dont care about the equipment plus several classes per day, equates to equipment with thousands of miles on it within a year. Spin bikes have a maintenance program and can be refurbished. Trainers are intended for a personal use. I am uncertain to the extent a trainer can be rebuilt or maintained.

You're welcome to PM me with any other questions.

mtbr member
    Spinning can be great for improving your cardiovascular efficiency, it's even lower impact than actual cycling. If you can accept the fact that you're stationary and there's no wind and no real excitement from actually moving through an environment, then you're onto something.

I can only tolerate about 10 minutes of stationary before I lose all focus and would rather go ride outdoors on an actual bicycle.. and yes, I'm including virtual trainers like zwift. I'm not a fan, but some people prefer it.

As far as the social aspects of stationary group spinning.. I cannot attest.

Let's just wheelie!
    Sep 2018
    I don't use a trainer or a stationary bike. I ride year round and work in a retail store where I get about 4 hours of cardio per shift. Don't need a gym or indoor trainer.

I have Flat Pedal shame.
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by bingemtbr View Post
    I have taught indoor cycling since 2011. Indoor cycling is considered "Group Fit", group fitness classes. The social aspect keeps riders returning. Fitness and social reasons are why people attend. The most spin classes I have ridden in a week is 17. I have both a trainer and a Keiser spin bike. The Keiser spin bike is better than my trainer. However a Zwift smart trainer is on my Christmas list. I ride out doors 4-6 times per week regardless of spin class. Regarding trainers vs spin bikes, for a commercial group fit class, spin bikes are the only equipment that will hold up: multiple users who dont care about the equipment plus several classes per day, equates to equipment with thousands of miles on it within a year. Spin bikes have a maintenance program and can be refurbished. Trainers are intended for a personal use. I am uncertain to the extent a trainer can be rebuilt or maintained.

You're welcome to PM me with any other questions.
    17 spin classes + 6 outdoor rides per week = cyclesick
    We don't ride to add days to our life, we ride to add life to the days we have left here.

mtbr member
    I'm a regular at my gym Spin/Cycling classes in the winter when daylight is nill.

I attend 3-4x/week, getting in early to extend my cycling time. They're extremely beneficial for a number of reasons (ex. cadence & power are easier to control than on the trails or road).

I find being in a group as a motivator vs sitting alone at home on a trainer.

Some instructors are my cycling-oriented while others add the goofy fluff (ex. running on the bike). I opt out of during those classes and focus on my effort and form.

There are shops and studios that offer trainer sessions but lugging the bike around is an added pain in the sack that I'd prefer to avoid. I get an excellent workout on the Spin bikes.
    Stick around if you're housebroken...

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    I agree with Crank, a spin bike is a great tool to maintain fitness in the winter. I'll go 4x per week but almost never to a class. I like putting in my earbuds and doing my own thing. Its surprising how fast 50 min. will go by.

mtbr member
    I have buddies that spin through the winter. They sure talk about it a lot. Come spring when I get back on my bike they are definitely more fit than I am. I can barely keep up and am smoked at the end of a ride. However this is very short lived. After 3-5 rides I can hang and after 3 weeks to a month I begin to pull away. Come August when I'm peaking it's hard to get those guys to come do big rides and they're dusted start to finish. With that I think one can pick up bad habits spinning or get some type of burn out. I experience something very similar but worse with guys that primarily climb in gyms.
    It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I like to ride my bikes outside. Spin or trainer would defeat that purpose. So that would be never. # of bike rides per week? 2-3 times on average.

One ring to mash them all
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkrmike View Post
    Spin class can definitely have its perks...
    Yep, one of a handful of cases where the scenery not changing can be a good thing.
    "Reasoning will never make a Man correct an ill Opinion, which by Reasoning he never acquired"
    — Jonathan Swift

Barely in control
    Spoiler Alert: You go in circles.

Pro Crastinator
    spin classes? lolz! ride your bike more...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by .WestCoastHucker. View Post
    spin classes? lolz! ride your bike more...
    Lack of daylight and snowy cold days make it tougher for some. I used to routinely ride in the winter slop with a large group, but that fell apart. I now find that going to these classes is tough and pays off later.
    Stick around if you're housebroken...

mtbr member
    Yeah. It's not always practical or feasible to ride. You can get in some good aerobics and HIIT in a spin class. A good alternative is a trainer at home, but I find it too easy to grab a brewsky instead. Whatever I can do between riding, spinning, and my trainer is all good.
    Do the math.

mtbr member
    Unfortunately, I dont have anywhere local to me that offers spin classes.
    A few years ago, I bought a spinbike that I ride when weather doesn't cooperate.
    I have it placed in front of a large screen TV where I can access various YouTube training vids.
    It's not as good as the 'real thing,' but it is better than nothing. And that's 'something'. Right?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

psycho cyclo addict
    I've done spin classes a few times. Both multiple days for a few weeks and occasional one-offs.

I find no advantage to participating in them and actually felt like they negatively impacted my endurance and performance in the "real world" on gravel/trails/paths/rocks, etc.
    【ツ】 eDub 【ツ】