mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Specialized vs. Raleigh

Specialized StumpJumper '04@$1000 vs Raleigh M800 '03@$700

Both bikes have LX front and XT rear 9speed. Both have DB 7000 series frames. The Raleigh M800 is discontinued and replaced by the Raleigh Talus which is getting great reviews, as did the M800. The M800 new was running $1200. Anyway I found a new 'in box' M800 at a LBS for $700.

What I've noticed in the two bikes is that the Specialized comes with a $500 Fox Talus, while the Raleigh has a DukeC and DiscBrakes. So, with the $300 difference and a $100 trade in allowance on the fork, I can get a better fork for the Raleigh...Fox VanillaRL/BlackPlatinum/MarzMX-ETA?
    The Raleigh has all name-brand components, the Specialized uses most 'Specialized' components. I don't know how good Specialized tires, handlebars, stems, seat post compare to MotoRaptor, Koski, Easton...etc. However on most reviews I've read, many riders end up changing out the Specialized parts...mainly the tires-wheels/handlebar/seat.

So it seems that the Specialized price of $1000...half is the cost of the fork alone leaving $500 for the frame and components (I don't know what the mark up is by Specialized/LBS)
    Also the Specialized weighs in at 22lbs while the M800 comes in at 25lbs. Although I think a better fork can shave off close to a pound and converting to Hydraulic over Mech can save also. But I am 235lbs and the Raleigh frame seems more... 'durable' if that makes any sense.
    After reading what I just wrote...I'm leaning towards the Raleigh...price factor? $300 is some serious cash for me right now, however, what do you guys think?

After some research on frames, I'm not concerned about the Raleigh or the Specialized frames...or which is better. Giant is actually the only bike company (and largest) that ownes large scale manufacturing plants in Taiwan and China (cookie cutter frames) these frames are then custom designed for companies like Gary Fisher, Trek and many others. Raleigh on the other hand (second largest) leases out two plants in Taiwan, after they closed down the plant in Nottingham. Anyway, Raleigh custom makes (cookie cutter frames) for Kona, IronHorse and few others. Which explains why price-wise, Giants and Raleighs tend to be a better value then others...

Thanks for your input!!! ; )
    Last edited by Akali; 02-12-2004 at 12:42 PM.