mtbr member
    Mar 2013

specialized camber comp 2013 or ?

hi all

my first post!

im new to all this so here up! ive been looking at the specialized camber comp and what to know peoples views on it and if there is an alternative bike out there that i should also look at?

ive read the reviews and to be honest they are all in compertition with one another so i dont think ill get better for my money but would like to know if you all think the same. i like the new 29 wheels and rear auto sag shock.

im 6ft 3.5 inches tall and about 16 stone. hoping to loose a few pounds for my wedding in august.

thanks for comments

chalky

mtbr member
    I'm in the same boat. Going to test ride one tomorrow. Looks like the perfect bike for me. Kind of seems like it will ride like an aggressive travel XC bike. Hard to find anything in between an XC and long travel bike.
    2012 Pivot Mach 429
    2010 Cervelo R3 SL

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by ElDuderino2412 View Post
    I'm in the same boat. Going to test ride one tomorrow. Looks like the perfect bike for me. Kind of seems like it will ride like an aggressive travel XC bike. Hard to find anything in between an XC and long travel bike.
    Im looking at a couple of bikes next Monday at Evans in Birmingham but I don't think I'll get the same for my money.
    Also my local specialized shop is 3 miles away and they have 0% interest free for 24months. Brilliant.

Let me know what you do?

mtbr member
    It's a legit bike. I had one a year or two ago and liked it. There are lots of comparable bikes out there. If you've got a good local dealer and you like the bike, go for it.

I'd rather be on my bike
    Had a 26 version. Medium but it was a tad small for me. Ended up selling it. Loved the bike. Handled really well, even with my lack of bike skills.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by chalky46 View Post
    Im looking at a couple of bikes next Monday at Evans in Birmingham but I don't think I'll get the same for my money.
    Also my local specialized shop is 3 miles away and they have 0% interest free for 24months. Brilliant.

Let me know what you do?
    Test rode the camber today, and really liked it. They wanted MSRP for it. I don't think i've payed MSRP for anything over $100 in my life, so unfortunately i won't be getting a specialized bike(at least from local dealer). Next time I'm out of town I'll check out other spesh stores.
    2012 Pivot Mach 429
    2010 Cervelo R3 SL

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Yea my local spec dealer wanted me to call back and talk to the owner for a discount. I was out of town in McDonough Epic bikes and they were great. Offered me great trade on my Fuel EX8 and money off the SJ FSR Comp 29. If I go with a Specialized it will be from there. Waiting for any rumors of a 29er Fuel from Trek.

The Specialized seems to have a great fit with the lower top tube for my shorter inseem.
    2014 Niner RIP 9
    Full XT
    Rock Shox Pike 140
    Roval Control Carbon

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by chalky46 View Post
    hi all

my first post!

im new to all this so here up! ive been looking at the specialized camber comp and what to know peoples views on it and if there is an alternative bike out there that i should also look at?

ive read the reviews and to be honest they are all in compertition with one another so i dont think ill get better for my money but would like to know if you all think the same. i like the new 29 wheels and rear auto sag shock.

im 6ft 3.5 inches tall and about 16 stone. hoping to loose a few pounds for my wedding in august.

thanks for comments

chalky
    I bought the camber comp yesterday. I'm also 6'3.5". I had a 29er FSR couple years back, so I knew what i was getting into. Couple things that sold me, that you won't find across the board on other 29ers.
    - Seatpost size fits most dropper posts.
    - press fit BB. beefy
    - beefy 9mm thru QR ratchet up front (as opposed to the normal 5mm QR w/ 9mm interface of forks of the past)
    - Thru axle in the back.
    - 1-1/8 to 1.5 fork/headset.. seems to be the going standard these days
    - 110 travel is actually 10mm more than the one I had years back.. I was happy with the travel then, but welcome 10 more.. the 130 seems excessive for me in terms of geometry/handling.. as I'm not just going downhill all day.
    - geometry, seems to be pretty good for mix of climbing and descending.
    - Rockshox makes good stuff.. fox looks cooler.
    - The handlebar seems low for me with my seat up.. its about 2" lower than seat.. I ordered a riser to get them closer.
    - Tires/wheels seem to be tubeless ready. I haven't pulled to check for hte green tubeless seal on the inside of rim, but told its there from numerous sources. Bike included the tubeless stems (zip-tied to seat) so it seems obvious its read to go.

Hope that helps.. I plan to upgrade some of the parts as I wear them out over time.. but everything seems to be fairly decent. I've had XTR and all that in the past.. doesn't make you any faster (unless maybe you're cat 1, I used to be cat2/sport, but haven't been on the race circuit in a bit). outer rotational weight of wheels is the biggest performance help, and these tires w/ a tubeless setup w/ the stock rims shouldn't be bad.. hub can weigh more.. doesn't affect things..

Anyhow, hope that helps!

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    fsr29erATX, what size did you end up getting? My lbs has 2 larges in stock clearance. I'm 6'1 and large feels pretty good. Might pick one up.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by bravodog1 View Post
    fsr29erATX, what size did you end up getting? My lbs has 2 larges in stock clearance. I'm 6'1 and large feels pretty good. Might pick one up.
    If you're 6'1" I'd get the Large. I ended up with the XL which is pretty much spot on for how I ride.. I'd think the XL would be good for folks 6'2" to 6'5"

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Picked up the large. Rode it on sunday. Hit obstacles i wouldnt even consider with my 11 year old spcialized. Need to get back out there bit still a little sore. And wow the stock seat is hard. So far i love it and can now keep up with my friends. Well almost.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by bravodog1 View Post
    Picked up the large. Rode it on sunday. Hit obstacles i wouldnt even consider with my 11 year old spcialized. Need to get back out there bit still a little sore. And wow the stock seat is hard. So far i love it and can now keep up with my friends. Well almost.
    I have a Sette Rez Cromo Saddle from pricepoint. its cheap ($20) light and a good design. I like it just as well as my $130 fizik saddle on my roadbike.. you might check it out.. and if it doesn't work, it was only $20..