mtbr member
    Mar 2008

New question here. SPD Cleats Ripped Up Sidi Shoes and No Longer Hold - How to Resolve?

Howdy,
    Recently did a four day ride in muddy Arizona and along the way my cleat continued to be loose. Out in the mud and rain I had to just crank it down while riding and the cleats moved enough to rub the shoe bottom raw and there is no longer shoe for the cleat to "grip." I cleaned everything out and tried to reset them but no luck.

I'm wondering if there is anything out there I can apply to the bottom of the shoe that would adhere so I can reset the cleat and it will have something to hold onto. If not, wondering if anyone has tried to work with Sidi. The shoes are less than a year old and I love them but can't bike until the cleat issue is resolved.

Thanks for any help!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by crux19 View Post
    Howdy,
    Recently did a four day ride in muddy Arizona and along the way my cleat continued to be loose.

Muddy Arizona? I'm not sure what you mean by "no shoe to grip", a picture would be nice.

saddlemeat
    Muddy riding is an expensive choice, now you know.
    A Useful Bear is a handy thing.

mtbr member
    Maybe use some loctite next time on the cleats?

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Take them to a shoe repair shop ,them might have an idea.

Front Range, Colorado
    I think your best bet is to contact SIDI first for a warranty claim. If you do anything to the shoe on your own any warranty if there is one is void. I run the same shoes and just replaced cleats this past weekend. I'm picturing where the screws thread into the sleeves the plastic sole is worn out. If SIDI won't help you I think you are screwed and have to buy new shoes. That area takes serious pressure and twisting I doubt it's repairable.
    --------- __o
    ------- _`\<,_
    ------ (*)/ (*)
    ************^^^^^^^^^Rock Garden

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Thanks all for your replies. I contacted SIDI and while nice they stated the warranty was not valid:

Thank you for taking time to contact Sidi America.
    It looks like the cleats have been over torque which causes the cleats to dig in to the sole of the shoes. This will not be a warranty.
    A Reinforcement Plate or Spacer is recommended according to the owners manual to prevent the cleats from damaging the sole.
    Please let me know if you have any questions and I will be more than happy to help. Have a wonderful day!!!

I went to check out reinforcement plates and it stated that there is no need for them on SPD cleats:
    https://www.sidismallparts.com/sidireplate

Maybe I try in desperation to use Locktite on the threads and Gorilla Glue where the cleat touches the shoe to see if all of that will be strong enough to hold. I also have my pedal really loose to minimize stress on the shoe and cleat.

Really appreciate any thoughts on where to go here. Have attached a few pictures. These shoes are only a few months old splurged to get them in the first place.

Edit: Just came across these and wonder if they would grab a larger portion of my sole then allow me to set in my SPD cleats?
    XXcycle - Shoe Shields Crankbrothers SPD Cleat spacer - Crank Brothers - en

Thank you much.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails SPD Cleats Ripped Up Sidi Shoes and No Longer Hold - How to Resolve?-2013-04-16-14.34.40.jpg  

SPD Cleats Ripped Up Sidi Shoes and No Longer Hold - How to Resolve?-2013-04-16-14.34.50.jpg  

SPD Cleats Ripped Up Sidi Shoes and No Longer Hold - How to Resolve?-2013-04-16-14.34.56.jpg  

Last edited by crux19; 04-19-2013 at 12:11 PM. Reason: added link to crankbrother's spacer

mtbr member
    I've got a used pair of Sidi Dom2s that looked just like that on the bottom, got them for free. Torqued the crap out of the cleat bolts and they were fine. If you dont have a warranty you dont have anything to lose.

Goats Rule!
    Sep 2007
    Use a metal back plate/spacer/shim. They come in different thicknesses. Use the thinnest one you can find to keep your setup as close as possible to what you have. The pressure will be distributed some and if you tighten the screws down enough, it will probably hold fine since the cleat will be digging into the metal plate instead of the sole.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Thanks to you both. KingOfTheHill - mind sending me a link with what you are referring to? Much appreciated.

Diggity Dog
    Grip Tape

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    If you can find it two layers of mylar sail might work one on top and another one on the bottom. This should be available at any windsurf shop.

if you can't find that, take duct tape fold it onto it self and stick that on both sides of the screw plate.

mtbr member
    You'd get a little more shoe to bite into if you took the part that the cleat bolts onto out of the shoe and ground it down a little so it would recess more.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Thanks so much for all of your recommendations. I cleaned everything up and let it all dry. I had two extra bolts from some other cleats and threw them in since my others were stripped pretty badly from all of the resetting in the mud. I cranked them down to the point where it seemed they would almost strip or break the backing plate. Just rode on them yesterday with no issues (hope I didn't jinx myself). Also had my binding on the loosest setting possible but doesn't impact my riding.

Thanks again.

Tough Guy Extraordinaire
    You may want to check out some of the metal plates you can get for the bottom of your shoes. Not sure if this would help your problem, but I think it would.

I run egg beaters and over time they started to wear a deep grove in the bottom of my shoe. It was making it tough for me to get what felt like a solid clip from the cleat.

I added their shoe sheilds a few years ago and have not had an issue since.