Thread: SPD 540 vs. 858

mtbr member
    Nov 2005

SPD 540 vs. 858

Anybody have an opinion on the spd 540? - I have an old pair of 858's that I was thinking of changing out and Ive read some good reviews about the 540's. Plus my 858's dont always release when I like despite the low tension setting.

Also - anybody know if you can get a platform insert for the spd's - my girlfriend has some for an old spd pedal that does not fit my 8585 - the seem nice if you wanted to work for some rides, including townie rides to work with reg. shoes.

Thanks

Ben

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    The new 540s are great, as are the 520s (cheaper version). Both are much better than the 858s -- I had those for a couple months when they first came out years ago, and threw them away because they sucked so much -- sometimes locking you in.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005

I have 2 sets of 540's

One set on my MTB and one set on my cyclocross bike. They work great. My former favorite were the 747's but the 540's are lighter and so much easier to get into in mud/snow conditions. And the release is always consistent. You can't go wrong with these.

mtbr member
    You will like the 540's much better than the 858's. A friend of mine suffered with his 858's for a long time and was much relieved when he finally got rid of them.

Work Hard, Play Harder
    I just upgraded to the 540's and they are great. I was so close to giving up shimano spd's because my 520's had such an unpredictable release. I never knew how these pedals were gonna react, despite me constantly trying to get the tension dialed in perfectly. But my LBS gave me a sick deal on a pair of 540's when I bought my new road bike. I threw them on my MTB and they have really changed the way I think about shimano's pedals. these things are lightyears better than the 520's in my opinion. The clip in and release are always consistent, and my feet have never once randomly came out of the pedal when I hit a jump or bump. That used to frequently happen with my old pedals. I say go with them if you are looking for a new pedal.
    06 Rocky Mountain ETSX - Full XTR, Fox Shox, Crossmax XL Wheels

Chrome Toaster
    The 540's go back to the earlier SH51 cleat type used in popular pedals like the 747. Besides that the pedal is a huge improvement over any previous SPD pedal in terms of release and entry consitency and mud shedding. Its one of the best pedals out there. The 858 used a different cleat and while not a bad pedal by any means it did ocasionally suffer from inconsistant release feel in some circumstances.

banned
    Apr 2004

So will 959 cleats work in 540s?

Quote Originally Posted by Hecubus
    The 540's go back to the earlier SH51 cleat type used in popular pedals like the 747. Besides that the pedal is a huge improvement over any previous SPD pedal in terms of release and entry consitency and mud shedding. Its one of the best pedals out there. The 858 used a different cleat and while not a bad pedal by any means it did ocasionally suffer from inconsistant release feel in some circumstances.
    or 540 cleats in 959s?

and while we are at it if I cheap out will my
    959 cleats work in 520s and vice a versa.

Sorry to get all pedal cleat info needy on you Hecubus but if my memory serves me well you are the answer man when it comes to bike & componet info.

Thanks.

Chrome Toaster
    Quote Originally Posted by Bike Nazi
    or 540 cleats in 959s?

and while we are at it if I cheap out will my
    959 cleats work in 520s and vice a versa.

Sorry to get all pedal cleat info needy on you Hecubus but if my memory serves me well you are the answer man when it comes to bike & componet info.

Thanks.
    The 858 is the only one that used its own specific cleat (SH-52). The 959 and 540 are the same pedal so yes, same cleat. The only difference between the two is the jaws on the 959 are specialy treated to prevent rust vs the chrome plating on the 540's. That and the 959's use hex screws instead of phillips to hold the replaceable jaws in place. The 540's will be a bit more difficult to service as a result but I have never heard of anyone wearing down the jaws anyway. The 520 is also just as good and shares the same main body design but it uses lower grade bearings.