Do it for Deegan

The sound of your cassette/freewheel

Ever since I've rode bicycles be it fixed gear bmx or geared mtb/road bike I have always associated the click of the gear with the quality of the bike. The louder it is the better the bike. The quieter the gear the cheaper the bike. I still think its true but why? and to what extent?

RideDirt
    Dunno about that .

Bro
    Where I do my thinking
    If you must, I have an older S-works road bike that's completely silent when I'm coasting.
    I've made some bad decisions like taking the gears off my bike. So here's the warning: Do not as I say, nor as I do.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Ive had cheap bikes click loud and quite, and expensive bikes do the same. Probly just depends on the spring tension on the pawls in the free wheel, and or maybe more or less grease on the pawls.

mtbr member
    Hate the sound of a freewheel. Something that introduces no resistance/friction should be silent. In reality they all make some sounds as dictated by their function and the sound level probably doesn't have anything to do with the quality of the freewheel.

Flyboy
    My new King hubs are super stealthy except for the 10-12mph range, then you get the classic bees buzzing.
    Pivot Mach 5.7c
    Jamis Dakar XC Pro
    Sette CX-1

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Where I'm from, that sound is called "the sound of wealth" literally translated. It also announces yourself as a candidate for a bike-jacking. It also works as a stray dog chase caller.

reading comprehension wat
    I got a bike hub that sounds like a cross between crickets and cicadas. Sometimes freaks me out. That's how you blend in with nature.

It's not the loudness, IMO, but rather the frequency. Expensive hubs have faster engagement. With 120 points of engagement, for each revolution...
    I like to jump to conclusions, oversimplify, gossip, and participate in popularity polls.

banned
    Aug 2012
    IMO,
    Unless it's really cold, a small dab of moly-based grease will silence the loudest hub, and not affect it's performance (engagement).

Ride Instigator
    I'm not going to agree with that. I have an old Cannondale Coda (made by Hugi) rear hub that is insanely loud. On my road bike I have an Ultegra raer hub that is actually pretty quiet and on another MTB I have a King hup that is louder then the Ultegra but quieter then the Coda. Out of the 3 the King hub is the better quality but not the loudest.

I'd rather be on my bike
    The Hope Pro II's I have are really loud. And I love it. No chance of sneaking up on someone with these on the trail. You can hear me coming....which is sometimes good for those walking on the trail. And if I want to have a quiet ride, means I need to pedal more.

NONDURO
    Quote Originally Posted by TenSpeed View Post
    The Hope Pro II's I have are really loud. And I love it. No chance of sneaking up on someone with these on the trail. You can hear me coming....which is sometimes good for those walking on the trail. And if I want to have a quiet ride, means I need to pedal more.
    Yep. Iíve got two bikes (Surly Big Dummy cargobike, and a 9:zero:7 fatbike) with the rears laced up to Hope Pro II hubs. I used to think that Chris King hubs were loud until I experienced first-hand the Hope soundtrack!
    QUOTE from MTBR.COM: You have given out too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Love the sound of my Mavic crossline wheel.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012

RE: The sound of your cassette/freewheel

I have a set of Roval Control SL wheels. They had a very loud freewheel. I recently upgraded to xx1 with the DT Swiss xD freewheel body. It's now a lot quieter and I much prefer it. POE is the same and I don't notice any difference there. I don't see the original being better in any way unless you just like loud clicks...
    Sent from my HTC6990LVW using Board Express

I'm SUCH a square....
    Nope, you're wrong.

I recently swapped my Sun Equalizers for a set of Nukeproof Generators; the Eq's are quite loud, the Nukes pretty quiet -- but the Nukes are the better wheelset. Also, a bud had a set of Sun wheels/rims...loudest sh** I EVER heard! But they work like a dream!

I would submit it's more the TYPE of sound, rather than volume.
    A bike is the only drug with no bad side effects....

Front Range, Colorado

Depends what you call loudÖ

My Chris Kings aren't very loud but they are expensive. Sample here. chris king hub - YouTube
    --------- __o
    ------- _`\<,_
    ------ (*)/ (*)
    ************^^^^^^^^^Rock Garden

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DIRTJUNKIE View Post
    My Chris Kings aren't very loud but they are expensive.
    yup same here.

RideDirt
    I like the sound of my Hadley hub , its prob not as loud as a Hope but it sure is a better hub