Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    The Original Suspect

So, outta curiosity???

I am curious how much you all ride. As the end of the year approaches, itís a good time to reflect. At the beginning of the year I had set a goal to ride 1800 miles. I know by some this is a mere pittance but I had thought that 150 miles a month would be a great place to start. As it turns out I will fall short of this goal. Even without the injury that had me sidelined for the better part of June and July, I might not have made it. As it sits right now I am at 1349.99. Although I only have a mountain bike, I have logged some road miles during this year, but a majority have been trail rides.

Looking back at the data it seems that I have averaged about 11 rides a month with each ride averaging about 11 miles.

So, do you set riding goals? Have you attained them? If you ride both mountain and road, whatís the mix?

banned
    About 7,000 miles this year, 6 days a week, I've been slackin. 70/30 split between road/mtb. Goals? Ride a lot.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    I only started riding a few months ago, so I didn't have many goals except to get out and do it...wish I did. I was thinking in the coming year, maybe setting a goal of 5000 miles for the year.

Climbs = necessary evil
    Damn, you guys must have a lot of free time. I rode a lot this year (for me and all mtn biking) and I've only ridden about 920 miles, but still hoping to break 1000 for the year.

Ride More, Whine Less
    I'm hoping for 1500 miles. I'm currently at 1200, so I have long ways to go.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    1600 miles after nearly a 10 year hiatus. Lost 20 pounds and got my "bike legs" back.

mtbr member
    I was off the stupid bike more than on due to injuries, so even if I had a goal it would not have been met.

I just ride when I have time and I am up to it. I'm not a type-A goal-driven kinda dude, I suppose.
    "Wait, this thing doesn't have a motor?" - Socrates

All fat, all the time.
    Haven't updated the garmin in a few weeks, should be over 2200 miles maybe a bit more. all offroad
    The more you ride, the easier it gets........
    the easier it gets, the more you ride.
    vicious circle

AZ
    banned
    4,248.61 miles, far short of my 10,000 mile goal. 80 percent road miles. I know, I suck.

Terrain Sculptor
    In a normal year about 100 miles a week. This year was FAR from normal. I'm back up to about 50 miles a week. Adding more every week.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trail Ninja's Son
    You may be happy to hear that my dad has kicked cancer's ass. Now he's looking for whoever sent it.

Parking Lot Poser
    I was at a point a few years ago, where I wasn't sure I could ride anymore. Now, if I can get out 1-2 days a week, I'm doin something right.

Miles are just numbers, & STRAVA segments don't interest me. I respect those who have goals, and those who achieve them.

Just go ride your bike!!
    feelin good is good enough

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    All off road miles(fire road) from July 862 would be ~2100 miles/year.

In summer I actually ride less due to the heat, I should be able to do 2500 miles/year

I use an app on my phone called Endomondo | Community based on free GPS tracking of sports

great tool to track miles, works flawless and is free(for now)
    Last edited by Learux; 11-27-2012 at 12:23 PM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    No idea about miles, just did my 60th ride last night. With a wife, two kids and a full time job I'm good with that. 2/3rds of the rides had some element of night riding.
    Gone are the days we stopped to decide,
    Where we should go,
    We just ride...

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Approximately 140 rides, about 1500 miles (all dirt), and 200+/- hours to date since Jan 1st. Maybe another 3 or 4 rides (based on incoming wet weather, work, some skiing days, and holiday beach time over Xmas) before the year is out. If I wasn't a skier/boarder, I'd have another 30-40 days but I like diversity in my activities!

beater
    I also have no idea what the total mileage is. I mark when I ride and a maybe one or two-word description on my calendar.

I'm just under 150 rides so far. We got a two-foot dump earlier than usual and that knocked me out before I was expecting. During the season I ride about 5-6 times a week on average. All singletrack for the most part.
    "Back off, man. I'm a scientist." - Dr. Peter Venkman

Riding in Helena? Everything you need to know, right here.

So Stoked!
    I rode about 200km per week when I was road cycling (April to October) approx 1400km/yr

Since I started Mtb I ride year round but less mileage, Maybe an average 50 to 75 km per week

I'd like to ride more but work interferes plus I practice yoga daily and do weights a couple hours per week
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

banned
    Sep 2012
    I got back to MTB'ing in September. From zero miles before I got my "new" bike to 8-10 mile daily, each with about 50% mountain trail. Had to take about 3 weeks off because I hurt myself pretty bad falling OTB on the trails.

-S

mtbr member
    I set a goal of 300 miles/month or 3,600 for the year. I'll likely miss that goal by a couple hundred miles.

I ride more days than not, but try to stay on the trail and off the road, so it's hard to push the real big numbers.

Dropshot Champ!
    When I got my Garmin on Sept 8th 2011, I set out to climb a half million feet of elevation gain. I nursed an injury all winter, got sick a few times, and slogged out a bunch of flat road during the winter. Didn't think I'd make it, but it was great to do it.
    Count: 334 Activities
    Distance: 5,342.70 mi
    Time: 602:14:12 h:m:s
    Elevation Gain: 500,623 ft
    Calories: 380,789 C

that was from sept to sept. Calendar year is 4,971.3mi / 445,007ft. heavily mountain, I hate my road bike. It really helps that I'm in college, lots of free time. That ends in a few weeks! I was hoping to lose some weight, but I'm still about 200lbs. Beer is tasty.

Kitty! Kitty! Kitty!
    How much do I want to ride? 15 miles a day. How much do I ride? Maybe 2x a week at 8 miles a clip. Maybe. Having a home in need of repairs and renovations going on eats up all my time. Can't wait to get SOME time to ride.

mtbr member
    I have always just focused on skills. Like I finally climbed that.... Type of deal. But I am thinking next year this is a fun thing and I will set a goal. Congrats to everyone.

Fat-tired Roadie
    From 12/26/11 through 11/11/12, 180 hours on the road, including commuting, track and cyclocross, 80 hours on the mountain bike, and also some running and "other," mostly physical therapy and a little weights.

I don't track my miles.

I'd planned a 450 hour season, but I wasn't very systematic about my planning and had a difficult class in the winter that dragged my riding time way down, to mostly just commuting. During the summer I worked a "real job" that was too far to commute too, and made it difficult to get a lot of volume in during the week, although I did manage some and I learned an approach to planning that I hope will help me ride a bit more again, and follow a schedule better, next year.

In 2011, I rode about 440 hours, but not in a terribly disciplined way. I'm actually a little faster this year, despite riding less. I think that's the track nights.

My overarching goal is really just to have fun riding my bike. I'm a competitive person and like pushing myself, so I enjoy racing. This season's goal was mainly to avoid backsliding too much. It hasn't been the hardest year of my degree - I've been able to remove some distractions that were effecting me in previous years - but it's been the most time consuming, and my SO moved to a new city, torpedoing a bunch of my riding days if I have my priorities in the right order.

Next season, I dunno. I'm doing some major stuff in my real life and don't know where I'll be located by summer. I'm going to try to do a disciplined base period in the winter so that wherever I am, and whatever discipline I'm racing, I can mix it up. Also because if I put things on my calendar, I run and ride more than if I don't.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

T.W.O.
    Whopping 2300 dirt miles give and take a few hundreds, just a bit shy of a 7000 miles goal

Non-bike related injury took me out mid season it not too bad now.

The Original Suspect
    Wow! Thanks guys! That's what I was curious about. I mainly ride to have a good time and keep me sane, the analytical part of me makes me keep track though. Thanks for the input! I will keep my goal of this year and hopefully achieve it in 2013. I also plan on obtaining a road bike and putting miles in there for fitness.

Never Forget 9-11
    I have a 24 on 48 off work schedule so I get out on one of my off days for a 20 mile ride. With extra days thrown in every now and then I get in 2500+ mtb miles on average for a year.
    It's such a fine line between idiocy and genius.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast