Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

So, outta curiosity???

3K views 48 replies 41 participants last post by  sandyeggo 
#1 ·
I am curious how much you all ride. As the end of the year approaches, it’s a good time to reflect. At the beginning of the year I had set a goal to ride 1800 miles. I know by some this is a mere pittance but I had thought that 150 miles a month would be a great place to start. As it turns out I will fall short of this goal. Even without the injury that had me sidelined for the better part of June and July, I might not have made it. As it sits right now I am at 1349.99. Although I only have a mountain bike, I have logged some road miles during this year, but a majority have been trail rides.

Looking back at the data it seems that I have averaged about 11 rides a month with each ride averaging about 11 miles.

So, do you set riding goals? Have you attained them? If you ride both mountain and road, what’s the mix?

#7 ·
I was off the stupid bike more than on due to injuries, so even if I had a goal it would not have been met.

I just ride when I have time and I am up to it. I'm not a type-A goal-driven kinda dude, I suppose.

#11 ·
I was at a point a few years ago, where I wasn't sure I could ride anymore. Now, if I can get out 1-2 days a week, I'm doin something right.

Miles are just numbers, & STRAVA segments don't interest me. I respect those who have goals, and those who achieve them.

Just go ride your bike!!

#14 ·
Approximately 140 rides, about 1500 miles (all dirt), and 200+/- hours to date since Jan 1st. Maybe another 3 or 4 rides (based on incoming wet weather, work, some skiing days, and holiday beach time over Xmas) before the year is out. If I wasn't a skier/boarder, I'd have another 30-40 days but I like diversity in my activities!

#16 ·
I rode about 200km per week when I was road cycling (April to October) approx 1400km/yr

Since I started Mtb I ride year round but less mileage, Maybe an average 50 to 75 km per week

I'd like to ride more but work interferes plus I practice yoga daily and do weights a couple hours per week

#19 ·
When I got my Garmin on Sept 8th 2011, I set out to climb a half million feet of elevation gain. I nursed an injury all winter, got sick a few times, and slogged out a bunch of flat road during the winter. Didn't think I'd make it, but it was great to do it.
Count: 334 Activities
Distance: 5,342.70 mi
Time: 602:14:12 h:m:s
Elevation Gain: 500,623 ft
Calories: 380,789 C

that was from sept to sept. Calendar year is 4,971.3mi / 445,007ft. heavily mountain, I hate my road bike. It really helps that I'm in college, lots of free time. That ends in a few weeks! I was hoping to lose some weight, but I'm still about 200lbs. Beer is tasty. :D

#22 ·
From 12/26/11 through 11/11/12, 180 hours on the road, including commuting, track and cyclocross, 80 hours on the mountain bike, and also some running and "other," mostly physical therapy and a little weights.

I don't track my miles.

I'd planned a 450 hour season, but I wasn't very systematic about my planning and had a difficult class in the winter that dragged my riding time way down, to mostly just commuting. During the summer I worked a "real job" that was too far to commute too, and made it difficult to get a lot of volume in during the week, although I did manage some and I learned an approach to planning that I hope will help me ride a bit more again, and follow a schedule better, next year.

In 2011, I rode about 440 hours, but not in a terribly disciplined way. I'm actually a little faster this year, despite riding less. I think that's the track nights.

My overarching goal is really just to have fun riding my bike. I'm a competitive person and like pushing myself, so I enjoy racing. This season's goal was mainly to avoid backsliding too much. It hasn't been the hardest year of my degree - I've been able to remove some distractions that were effecting me in previous years - but it's been the most time consuming, and my SO moved to a new city, torpedoing a bunch of my riding days if I have my priorities in the right order.

Next season, I dunno. I'm doing some major stuff in my real life and don't know where I'll be located by summer. I'm going to try to do a disciplined base period in the winter so that wherever I am, and whatever discipline I'm racing, I can mix it up. Also because if I put things on my calendar, I run and ride more than if I don't.

#24 ·
Wow! Thanks guys! That's what I was curious about. I mainly ride to have a good time and keep me sane, the analytical part of me makes me keep track though. Thanks for the input! I will keep my goal of this year and hopefully achieve it in 2013. I also plan on obtaining a road bike and putting miles in there for fitness.

#26 ·
Count: 259 Activities
Distance: 3,661.52 mi
Time: 405:53:16 h:m:s
Elevation Gain: 386,507 ft
Avg Speed: 9.0 mph
Calories: 286,893 C
Max Distance: 86.06 mi
Max Speed: 43.1 mph
Max Avg Speed: 20.6 mph
Max Elevation Gain: 13,350 ft

I try to ride everyday, so far have come pretty short - there has been 331 days and I only have gone out 259 times. All miles are MTB.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.