Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

So, outta curiosity???

3K views 48 replies 41 participants last post by  sandyeggo 
#1 ·
I am curious how much you all ride. As the end of the year approaches, it’s a good time to reflect. At the beginning of the year I had set a goal to ride 1800 miles. I know by some this is a mere pittance but I had thought that 150 miles a month would be a great place to start. As it turns out I will fall short of this goal. Even without the injury that had me sidelined for the better part of June and July, I might not have made it. As it sits right now I am at 1349.99. Although I only have a mountain bike, I have logged some road miles during this year, but a majority have been trail rides.

Looking back at the data it seems that I have averaged about 11 rides a month with each ride averaging about 11 miles.

So, do you set riding goals? Have you attained them? If you ride both mountain and road, what’s the mix?

#26 ·
Count: 259 Activities
Distance: 3,661.52 mi
Time: 405:53:16 h:m:s
Elevation Gain: 386,507 ft
Avg Speed: 9.0 mph
Calories: 286,893 C
Max Distance: 86.06 mi
Max Speed: 43.1 mph
Max Avg Speed: 20.6 mph
Max Elevation Gain: 13,350 ft

I try to ride everyday, so far have come pretty short - there has been 331 days and I only have gone out 259 times. All miles are MTB.

#28 ·
To date:
Count: 169 Activities
Distance: 5,040.97 mi
Time: 327:11:01 h:m:s
Elevation Gain: 230,430 ft
Avg Speed: 16.3 mph
Avg HR: 152 bpm
Avg Bike Cadence: 87 rpm
Calories: 170,545 C
Max Speed: 55.5 mph
Avg Distance: 29.83 mi
Max Distance: 74.55 mi
Max Elevation Gain: 5,518 ft
Max HR: 187 bpm
Avg Elevation Gain: 1,557 ft
Max Avg Speed: 23.2 mph

About 70% of these are road miles. My goal was 5,500 for the year. I try to beat my previous by a minimum of 500 each year. Should not have an issue making this. I find that having a goal helps me to get out and ride more, especially if I don't have an event or something specific in mind.

#29 ·
Report from Last 365:

Count: 194 Activities
Distance: 2,798.99 mi
Elevation Gain: 222,937 ft
Avg Time: 1:34:11

I hate looking at this. I thought I rode more, but realizing I'm a sad excuse for a mountain biker. My rides are average 1:34 - and that's because I pretty much only do "lunch rides".

I don't own a road bike, and pretty much have no road miles from this year - besides the CX loops I do. I also only raced once this year.

#32 ·
With my wife's help, I am very near my goal of riding at least once a week.
(I get help because she knows it keeps me sane :crazy::incazzato:)
I think it averaged out after a few multi-day bike/camping trips.
1,400 miles and counting - about 50% singletrack, ~70% off road.

I had other goals, though:

Get daughter riding off road. :thumbsup:
Get more beginners riding off road. :thumbsup:
Have fun. :thumbsup:

Slam dunk on goals this year!
(damn, now I'm going to start expecting things of myself :D)

-F

#45 ·
I try to ride 100 miles a week of 2-4 mountain rides with easy rides in between mostly on pavement. I'm closing in on 2K miles of real mountain bike rides for the year and about 3K of easy rides around town. From those stats I'd say I met my goals but not exacly.

This was the year I started out pushing hard to build up my endurance aiming for 50+ miles rides. It was a good start but it didn't take long to realize my bodily limits as I approach my late 40's. Now I aim to stay healthy in order to do some sort of ride everyday. That means fewer long rides at a more sustainable pace, which mileage-wise is still within my goals.

#47 ·
I've never thought about setting a goal other than have fun on my bike whenever I can but I did enjoy watching my ODO mount up over time on my old bike, I got hit by a car in February and my bike got wrecked so any goals would have been short anyway

I haven't put my cycle computer on my new bike either so I don't even know how many miles I have done on new bike so far.

I just done a quick sum , i'd be happy getting out to do my frequent trundle/legstretch 3 times a week(just over 6 miles) and about 30 miles at the weekend which worked out at around 2500 miles , I think 2000 is a realistic goal for me but I have plans next year to ride alot more longer rides so maybe i'll get a new computer and see how I fair from January 1st 2013 :)

All as offroad as I can possibly get, I only ride tarmac coz I have to to get to dirt :thumbsup:

Having said that, it's rarely about distance for me, I can be happy spending a couple of hours messing about on trails inside a local park and not clock very many miles at all

#48 ·
My goal this year was to bypass my 2003 miles/262,000 Ascent from last year......currently 2650 miles/344,000 Ascent....now I am eyballing 3000/400,000 by the end of the year. All on the mtb.

This will also be the first time in the last 3 years that I haven't missed any time due to injury.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.