Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Apr 2010

So i got a counterfeit suntour epicon from China

I received it and it looked funky. I took a closer look and it's been spray painted with blury stickers applied, and appears to have the rebound cartridge of an x series. So watch out. Their pictures were legit, but what I received is junk. I already filed a claim, hopefully it's resolved quickly.

Sent from my 831C using Tapatalk
    Last edited by ou2mame; 10-03-2014 at 01:36 PM.

On wuss patrol
    I find this kind of ironic. I've always thought of a real Suntour as a fake fork so I'm wondering who would want to go through the effort of counterfeiting a counterfeit
    Sometimes, you need to go fast enough that the trail is a blur to find clarity. -- Wild Bill

mtbr member
    Apr 2010

Re: So i got a counterfeit suntour epicon from China

Lol.. Well, the real suntour epicon is a very good fork especially for the money. But this pos they sent me is a mix of parts it looks like.

And these are the pics on the ebay listing, which is a real epicon. Wtf..

Sweat is just fat crying.
    Looks fine to me. Ride it like you stole it.
    "I don't care to do a lot, I really don't. I'll go take a nap in the middle of a nap."

George Kennedy

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Looks legit to me. have you had a suntour epicon before?
    Put a mountain biker in a room with 2 bowling balls and we'll break one and lose the other - GelatiCruiser

mtbr member
    Apr 2010

Re: So i got a counterfeit suntour epicon from China

Yeah I had one. This is my second one and it looks like a fake. It has these weird marks in the paint on the sanctions too, you can see them at an angle and they divot in a bit. I tried to clean it off with a qtip and some rubbing alcohol but when sliding across the qtip gets caught on it like it's rough or something.

The rebound knob is odd.. I saw that on an x series. This is the epicon one if you can tell you tell the difference. On the real epicon it clicks 22 times I believe. This one only turns half a turn and is rough with no clicking action. Plus it didn't work at all.

Compared to the one I got.

The epicon has a anodized red, this one is painted red, plus it's a completely different mechanism, I took it apart to look.

mtbr member
    I always figured that buying any product from someone other than an authorized dealer is a crapshoot. Is Fibica an authorized Suntour dealer? That should have been your first warning.

I just hope it doesn't grenade on you in the middle of a rock garden. Any item i depend on to keep me safe, i'm willing to pay for the real thing.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I'm returning it. I ordered another one off amazon that was fine til I crashed and broke some ribs and the fork

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    there is a suntour rep on this site, send him a link to this thread, maybe he can chime in... Fork Help
    Put a mountain biker in a room with 2 bowling balls and we'll break one and lose the other - GelatiCruiser

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Yeah I was gonna write nick but I didn't want to waste his time with a Chinese import cause there's not much they can really say about them except that they don't know what they do over there

On wuss patrol
    They're all Chinese imports.
    Sometimes, you need to go fast enough that the trail is a blur to find clarity. -- Wild Bill

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by jetboy23 View Post
    I always figured that buying any product from someone other than an authorized dealer is a crapshoot. Is Fibica an authorized Suntour dealer? That should have been your first warning.

I just hope it doesn't grenade on you in the middle of a rock garden. Any item i depend on to keep me safe, i'm willing to pay for the real thing.
    Agree. That's how I do it as well. I always check for an authorized dealer first and I never had a single bad purchase so far.
    Last edited by Max24; 03-07-2015 at 06:58 AM.

Sweat is just fat crying.
    Quote Originally Posted by manbat View Post
    You pay peanuts you'll get a monkey
    Hmph, sounds like my job.
    "I don't care to do a lot, I really don't. I'll go take a nap in the middle of a nap."

George Kennedy

gobsmacked Moderator
    Apr 2008

So i got a counterfeit suntour epicon from China

With all of your suntour forks, you can just save up and get a fox fork.
    Wanted: WTB rollercams and brake bridges

B A N N E D
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by ou2mame View Post
    I'm returning it.
    How much will that cost you?

I doubt that it's fake, it's probably just a OE / OEM fork.

OE / OEM forks will often different in specs to a fork of the same model which is sold in a retail shops by authorized dealers.
    Last edited by cobba; 09-27-2014 at 10:43 PM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    This thread reminds me of the guys that buy Wal-Goose bikes than complain about the quality. Mow lawns after school and save your lunch money up for a quality fork.

bike tester
    looks like the lockout and rebound from the new xcr32...?! maybe you got some downgraded OEM epicon?

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I have ordered another epicon from China in the past and it was a legit epicon. This one isn't what they advertised so it's going back. It's not going to cost me anything to return it they are going to have to pay shipping if they want it back but I will have PayPal reverse the charges, that won't be an issue I don't think. He didn't send me what I ordered that's pretty cut and dry. I don't know why you guys are saying that this is what I deserve. And no, with all of my suntour forks I have one suntour fork and 200 bucks won't buy me a fox fork. That doesnt make any sense.

mtbr member
    I'm returning it. I ordered another one off amazon that was fine til I crashed and broke some ribs and the fork

No, don't return it.

1) Contact SR Suntour with a serial number and get a direct yes/no response on what your frankenfork is.

2) Contact Ebay and report the fake goods, they will give you your money back and they will unleash the smack down on Fibica_store.

2a) If you bought from a direct website then contact your credit card company/bank about it instead. A whole bunch have policies on counterfeit goods and will reverse your payment when you present them with confirmation of a counterfeit from Suntour.

In either case, don't waste your money and throw away your evidence. Shipping a fake item back to the fakers and demanding a refund is like asking the shark for your leg back...

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I already filed a fraud report with ebay and PayPal, and will have them pay for shipping back if the seller wants it. Contacting suntour won't do me any good because it was sold outside of the USA and they only deal with sales inside the USA. I understand that and don't expect anything from them. This is an issue between me ebay and the seller. If i didn't already own one I don't think I could tell the difference so easily, but this fork obviously isn't a real epicon like the one I got off amazon from China. The fork doesn't add up to what they have listed on the website anyways and its pretty obvious if you look. This is definitely the damper from the x series fork not the epicon. I have had one to reference it. I will ship it with signature confirmation, and they can do whatever they want with it. I just wanted to let people know not to order form this person.

My amazon fork, that was a different story. They advertised it as a USA model with USA warranty, but then it shipped for China even though I paid through my prime account for 2 say shipping it still shipped for China and took a month to get here.

B A N N E D
    Apr 2007
    If i didn't already own one I don't think I could tell the difference so easily, but this fork obviously isn't a real epicon like the one I got off amazon from China. The fork doesn't add up to what they have listed on the website anyways and its pretty obvious if you look. This is definitely the damper from the x series fork not the epicon. I have had one to reference it.
    'OE' / 'OEM' forks aren't listed on the Suntour website, it's not unusual for fork manufacturers to do this, Marzocchi doesn't show their 'OE' / 'OEM' forks either.

The specs for 'OE' / 'OEM' forks are often different to a fork you'd buy from a retail shop.

'OE' / 'OEM' forks are often downgraded versions of a fork model.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    They probably shouldn't use photos of an original one then.

I Tried Them ALL... Moderator
    The name "Fibica" alone is reason enough you're gonna be lied to.
    "The mind will quit....well before the body does"

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    yeah it definitely doesn't look like a normal epicon, the lockout and the knob looks weird..

I don't know why you guys are saying that this is what I deserve. And no, with all of my suntour forks I have one suntour fork and 200 bucks won't buy me a fox fork. That doesnt make any sense.

i bet it would have been worse if u had a fox fork.. $600 down the drain after that crash

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Oh yeah totally.. I'll spend money where I have to, but i really liked the epicon so I replaced it after the crash. I've read people on here who prefer the epicon to the fox forks no less because the epicon is so plush. Its a great value for the money, if it's real. I refuse to settle for a fake one though.

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast