• 12-30-2012
    TiGeo
    So I finally discovered Strava..
    Yep...I can see where this creates "Strav*******s". Lots of fun! I can't believe it...but I can't wait to go tomorrow and see if I can knock some time of my lap. Hey, at least I said hi to the folks I passed ;)
  • 12-30-2012
    Brewtality
    Lots of opposition to Strava. But as long as you don't get too carried away, its a lot of fun. Its also a great training and ride tracking tool.
  • 12-30-2012
    ArmySlowRdr
    Don't be afraid to try other GPS sites such as RideWithGps. Share the wealth; eventually the number one in things fall. I am already sick of strava this and that as I sure at least some others are.

    But it's cool you are enjoying it. Go beat some times and get some KOMs are whatever they call it.
  • 12-31-2012
    shawnt2012
    Congratz, Now let it take up space on your device until you realize that Strava is useless :). I am not a fan of it, horrid lay-out, just blah.
  • 12-31-2012
    freighttrainuphill
    It also lets you know how much you suck on a regular basis :o.

    I've ridden a particular trail three times now. Every time I ride it, I get slower (probably due to muddier conditions every time). On road rides, even when I know I climbed a hill better than the last time I climbed it, there's always a bunch of other women who can climb it faster. Sometimes the fastest woman is twice as fast as me!

    I have the premium subscription. I like the suffer score, but I'm not sure that's worth paying another $60 a year for when my current subscription expires.
  • 12-31-2012
    Harold
    It can be fun. Just don't get too caught up in it. Also, take it easy on multiuse trails and beginner friendly trails. I know of a couple trails that prohibit racing, and they consider Strava and other tools that let you compete against your previous time (Garmin's virtual partner, etc) to be racing all the same.

    I track my rides with GPS, but I don't put them all on any given site. Just depends on the reason I was riding that day.
  • 12-31-2012
    Harry Mackenzie
    I think people put way too much thought into why they like or dislike Strava. It tells me where I ride and what I find to be a decent estimate of my mileage, elevation, speed, etc. Being able to see where I ride is pretty cool because it has helped me find some trails that I had been trying to to but failed to find while riding. I also inadvertently made a riding friend through Strava too which is pretty neat.
  • 12-31-2012
    freighttrainuphill
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by NateHawk View Post
    Also, take it easy on multiuse trails and beginner friendly trails. I know of a couple trails that prohibit racing, and they consider Strava and other tools that let you compete against your previous time (Garmin's virtual partner, etc) to be racing all the same.

    +1. There have been some close calls on our local trails from people riding too fast for conditions, all for the sake of Strava KOMs. Not worth it at all, IMO.

    There is a member here who has a signature that says something like "STRAVA: Enabling dorks everywhere to get trails shut down, all for the sake of a race on the internet". I don't remember who it is, but I like that sig! :thumbsup:
  • 12-31-2012
    Dion
    When I discovered Strava, life was good. I had a lovely wife, a nice home and making a good middle class income.

    Before I was on Strava, my friends would be, like, "You should try Strava... it's really great." At first, I resisted, but one day, I created an account...

    I started to lose myself. PR's, 2nd, and 3rd, bests and even one KOM on some random trail started to consume me. My marriage, work, bills, responsibilities... all fell to the wayside. It was just me, my bike and STRAVA. I loved Strava - it made me feel like a man.

    One day, I painted my dog orange, just to match the Strava logo.

    I started making segments like crazy. To get the mail, waiting in line at the supermarket... I set a PR for letting out a fart. Checked the next day, and somebody knocked me out of top ten. I lost it, punched a hole in the wall and flagged the segment.

    I stopped being intimate with my wife when she wouldn't cooperate on getting a PR on love making. She left me a month later.

    I am in recovery now. I've realized that not everything is a race and I can safely wear baggies on a XC ride again. I joined "S.A." or Strava Anonymous. And my wife, with loving support, attends the meetings with me. She gently reminds me not to go for KOM of trips to the coffee maker, or try for PR's of pouring sugar. Without her, I couldn't have done it.

    So yeah. Strava can be a gift or a curse. I recently saw a homeless guy on the street begging for Strava crowns. I sadly realized it was a guy I used to ride with.

    Sad.
  • 12-31-2012
    menusk
    man, im still trying to do the strava relay that was mentioned on here once. ill have my chance one day.......theres more then one way to get k.o.m
  • 12-31-2012
    Slash5
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by freighttrainuphill View Post
    It also lets you know how much you suck on a regular basis

    Yep, you see that that you're 15 out of 58 people and feel you're not doing too bad. Then you realize that you are last of anyone riding the segment seriously - everyone after you is at least 15 minutes slower.
    At 59, a KOM is never going to happen for me but I still like Strava.
    Shows the rides I've done by month and mileage for the year.
    Shows how my different bikes stack up on the same segments.
    It's fun seeing the times improve as the year goes on. It's an incentive to train and to push that bit harder and faster.

    I can't believe the heart rate the kids can push out - sucks to be old.
  • 12-31-2012
    AZ
    I am the King of Nothing on Strava and working hard to maintain the status quo. :)
  • 12-31-2012
    Silentfoe
    I love Strava. It does everything I'd hope for in a website/app for tracking mileage and elevation and it kicks in all the segments and competitions. Good stuff.

    Tomorrow we are going to ride across a frozen local lake (8 miles across) and then we are going to create a segment for it. Hopefully if it thaws fast we'll maintain our KOM's for awhile. :D

    I bet someone will flag it as "hazardous". :nono:
  • 12-31-2012
    TiGeo
    I have been having fun, but agree that you have to use your head. Today I rode a multi-use 2-way directional trail...you have to be smart.
  • 12-31-2012
    Bethany1
    Only thing I don't like about Strava is that there isn't a voice telling you your miles/lap times.
  • 12-31-2012
    rebel1916
    Strava is the best at what it is. And what it is is a way to compete against the rest of the neighborhood and show off the competition to your other cardio wimp friends. If you are into that (and I am), Strava completely blows away the competition. If you are not into that, what's the point. There is nothing immoral or wrong with it though. It cracks me up how it brings out the retrogrouch types in all their grouchy glory.
  • 12-31-2012
    ArmySlowRdr
    haha all good--I'm not really retro, just sometimes I rail against whatever is "big" as in the most popular, and mainly when I perceive the business got to where it is through little hard work but a lot of free money. And I might be entirely wrong about strava but I just like the little players in this niche a whole lot better. Related marginally....It took me forever to go Apple, but finally did get an ipod and an ipad both this fall. :D


    Quote:

    Originally Posted by rebel1916 View Post
    Strava is the best at what it is. And what it is is a way to compete against the rest of the neighborhood and show off the competition to your other cardio wimp friends. If you are into that (and I am), Strava completely blows away the competition. If you are not into that, what's the point. There is nothing immoral or wrong with it though. It cracks me up how it brings out the retrogrouch types in all their grouchy glory.

  • 12-31-2012
    evasive
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by freighttrainuphill View Post
    There is a member here who has a signature that says something like "STRAVA: Enabling dorks everywhere to get trails shut down, all for the sake of a race on the internet". I don't remember who it is, but I like that sig! :thumbsup:

    Yup, I think that's kidwoo.
  • 12-31-2012
    dirt farmer
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by AZ.MTNS View Post
    I am the King of Nothing on Strava and working hard to maintain the status quo. :)

    I hear ya', man!

    Strava is the equivalent if wandering around in a haze, texting on phone in hand, except it's for bicyclists.

    Maybe I'm a Luddite; I am a firm believer in the "Leave No Child Inside" movement.

    Leave the gadgets at home.... go ride.
  • 12-31-2012
    Hoban
    Luddite? Then leave the gadgety bike at home and run.

    I'll ride past you yelling, "Strava!". :D
  • 12-31-2012
    dirt farmer
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Hoban View Post
    Luddite? Then leave the gadgety bike at home and run.

    I'll ride past you yelling, "Strava!". :D

    Hey! Whatchootalkin' about, Willis??

    Luddite
  • 12-31-2012
    shekky
    i use strava. i like to have a record of basic ride stats to look at after a long, hard ride.

    all i care about is how far i rode, how long it took to ride there and back, how high i climbed and how many miles i am accumulating per week/month/annum.

    the KOMs, segments, personal accomplishments and whatnot do not matter to me.

    i do not care if i rode today's loop faster than yesterday's--today's loop may have different twists and turns than yesterday's did and i might have stopped ten minutes longer at a spot to take photographs. again, it's just nice to have an idea of how long that loop was today.

    if other guys and gals obsess over the rest of the bells and whistles, more power to you all. have a good time. if you don't like strava and gadgets and such, nobody is forcing you to use them. more power to you guys and gals, too. have a good time.
  • 12-31-2012
    Hoban
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by dirt farmer View Post
    Hey! Whatchootalkin' about, Willis??

    Luddite

    Oh, I see what you did there. :D
  • 01-02-2013
    emaisch1080
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by dirt farmer View Post
    I hear ya', man!

    Strava is the equivalent if wandering around in a haze, texting on phone in hand, except it's for bicyclists.

    Maybe I'm a Luddite; I am a firm believer in the "Leave No Child Inside" movement.

    Leave the gadgets at home.... go ride.

    Not true at all. Texting and driving is dangerous and stupid. My phone (strava) stays in my bag when I ride. I think it's great for exploring new trails and tracking new rides to find different trailheads when they come out into a park or a neighbor that you don't know. And let's face it. Gadgets are cool. I'm posting this from a gadget.
  • 01-02-2013
    Xcisok
    I use it to keep myself honest. I can ride and go home and do a quick check to make sure I was not slacking off. It is also good to keep an eye on my mates speed make sure we are all about the same pace.
  • 01-03-2013
    uneek78
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Dion View Post
    When I discovered Strava, life was good. I had a lovely wife, a nice home and making a good middle class income.

    Before I was on Strava, my friends would be, like, "You should try Strava... it's really great." At first, I resisted, but one day, I created an account...

    I started to lose myself. PR's, 2nd, and 3rd, bests and even one KOM on some random trail started to consume me. My marriage, work, bills, responsibilities... all fell to the wayside. It was just me, my bike and STRAVA. I loved Strava - it made me feel like a man.

    One day, I painted my dog orange, just to match the Strava logo.

    I started making segments like crazy. To get the mail, waiting in line at the supermarket... I set a PR for letting out a fart. Checked the next day, and somebody knocked me out of top ten. I lost it, punched a hole in the wall and flagged the segment.

    I stopped being intimate with my wife when she wouldn't cooperate on getting a PR on love making. She left me a month later.

    I am in recovery now. I've realized that not everything is a race and I can safely wear baggies on a XC ride again. I joined "S.A." or Strava Anonymous. And my wife, with loving support, attends the meetings with me. She gently reminds me not to go for KOM of trips to the coffee maker, or try for PR's of pouring sugar. Without her, I couldn't have done it.

    So yeah. Strava can be a gift or a curse. I recently saw a homeless guy on the street begging for Strava crowns. I sadly realized it was a guy I used to ride with.

    Sad.

    Hahahaaaaaa................love it!
  • 01-03-2013
    uneek78
    I agree with those that simply use it for bike stats. I like to know my mileage and time. I like the fact that it tells you your mileage for the week. I love the average and top speed. It is just a great information tool. I don't care about KOM, my biggest competitor is myself.
  • 01-03-2013
    GelatiCruiser
    I use it to track my rides and mileage. Plus it's nice to look at every now and then and have it remind me I need to get out on a ride!
  • 01-03-2013
    emptybe_er
    Strava - for entertainment purposes only....
  • 01-03-2013
    shekky
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by emptybe_er View Post
    Strava - for entertainment purposes only....

    yup. pretty much.
  • 01-03-2013
    Brodino
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by GelatiCruiser View Post
    I use it to track my rides and mileage. Plus it's nice to look at every now and then and have it remind me I need to get out on a ride!

    I wish people used it responsibly. My local trail is always developing shortcuts through corners!
  • 01-03-2013
    MTBeing
    I like Strava simply because I've had the best luck with it as a GPS mapper. I tried several other paid apps before a friend suggested Strava and I found it to be the most reliable so far. It's never crashed and when the GPS is locked on (pre-ride) it's always tracked my distance with terrific accuracy. I know this because I have a wired computer on my bike as a backup and it and Strava calculation are usually within a few tenths.

    The segment comparison is simply a bonus but it's fun to go out and pimp a fellow friend/rider that you're faster than him on a particular segment. Fwiw, I never try to beat any downhill times, just the uphill ones.
  • 01-03-2013
    pjq6
    ADVICE: Don't start recording your ride until you get to the trailhead. If you start it from your house, bike thieves know where to come and get your gear.
  • 01-03-2013
    metalaficionado
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by pjq6 View Post
    ADVICE: Don't start recording your ride until you get to the trailhead. If you start it from your house, bike thieves know where to come and get your gear.

    that's why you set up a privacy zone
  • 01-03-2013
    pjq6
    See: Hackers. Better safe than sorry.
  • 01-03-2013
    metalaficionado
    Why is it hip to hate on Strava?

    It's a free app, it maps the ride, it tracks your time and miles.
    ANd most imporant of all - it give you an estimate of your calories burned - so you know how much beer you can drink for the day ;)

    and like setting PR's on the climbs, you can really see a time difference and it's safer for others...
    bombing down a hiker infested trail to shave off two seconds is pure stupidity
  • 01-03-2013
    pjq6
    It is a great app. It's nice to able to use the raw mapping data in Google Earth too.

    Although I can do without the Strava Facebook updates from people who can ride circles around me.
  • 01-03-2013
    ArmySlowRdr
    Because so many littler guys do it just as well. There is more than one to choose from and Strava has just become mind numbingly a nuisance--like a bad ad that wont go away.


    Quote:

    Originally Posted by metalaficionado View Post
    Why is it hip to hate on Strava?

    It's a free app, it maps the ride, it tracks your time and miles.
    ANd most imporant of all - it give you an estimate of your calories burned - so you know how much beer you can drink for the day ;)

    and like setting PR's on the climbs, you can really see a time difference and it's safer for others...
    bombing down a hiker infested trail to shave off two seconds is pure stupidity

  • 01-03-2013
    dirt farmer
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by emaisch1080 View Post
    Not true at all. Texting and driving is dangerous and stupid.

    Who mentioned texting and driving??

    My nephews, co-workers, neighbors, and just about everyone else I see cannot be happy unless they have a gadget (most likely a smart phone) in hand. It's a rather sad addiction.
  • 01-03-2013
    shekky
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by dirt farmer View Post
    Who mentioned texting and driving??

    My nephews, co-workers, neighbors, and just about everyone else I see cannot be happy unless they have a gadget (most likely a smart phone) in hand. It's a rather sad addiction.

    yeah, that's true... but i start recording my ride on my gadget, put it in leave-me-alone-mode and stuff it in a pocket somewhere for several hours. :D
  • 01-03-2013
    SSdirt29
    When did it become so uncool to be competitive. I played basketball, football, soccer ... I don't recall anyone stopping in the middle of the game saying here lets give the other team the ball because it's so uncool to be beating them.

    I may not have too many KOM's, but in my area on a lot of trails 15th is pretty damn fast and I'll take it if I can get there and feel good about it too.

    P.S. I don't cut corners on the trail and I don't buzz hikers. I sow down when I need to. If that means a slower time no biggie. I rode the same way before Strava.

    People compete in freeride/all mountain too. Getting over obstacles and sometimes even illegally building them. Oh and the GoPro crowd is not immune from riding over their heads to impress either. I've seen many buzz past hikers on the "rad" downhill runs.
  • 01-04-2013
    tater9.75
    I have been using it for a month now and like it just to keep track of my stats, milage and speed. I'm not concered with beating someone elses time on a route. Most of the routes in my area are road rides.
  • 01-04-2013
    AndrwSwitch
    I get a kick out of Strava. I even had a moment of considering paying the premium subscription. But in messing around with the tracks of people who've paid for it, it doesn't seem like I can get it to give me data at the resolution I want - broken up by lap.

    Downloading Golden Cheetah now; ask me later if I like it...
  • 01-04-2013
    rebel1916
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by pjq6 View Post
    See: Hackers. Better safe than sorry.

    Suuuuure buddy, suuuuuure.