Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Dion View Post
    When I discovered Strava, life was good. I had a lovely wife, a nice home and making a good middle class income.

Before I was on Strava, my friends would be, like, "You should try Strava... it's really great." At first, I resisted, but one day, I created an account...

I started to lose myself. PR's, 2nd, and 3rd, bests and even one KOM on some random trail started to consume me. My marriage, work, bills, responsibilities... all fell to the wayside. It was just me, my bike and STRAVA. I loved Strava - it made me feel like a man.

One day, I painted my dog orange, just to match the Strava logo.

I started making segments like crazy. To get the mail, waiting in line at the supermarket... I set a PR for letting out a fart. Checked the next day, and somebody knocked me out of top ten. I lost it, punched a hole in the wall and flagged the segment.

I stopped being intimate with my wife when she wouldn't cooperate on getting a PR on love making. She left me a month later.

I am in recovery now. I've realized that not everything is a race and I can safely wear baggies on a XC ride again. I joined "S.A." or Strava Anonymous. And my wife, with loving support, attends the meetings with me. She gently reminds me not to go for KOM of trips to the coffee maker, or try for PR's of pouring sugar. Without her, I couldn't have done it.

So yeah. Strava can be a gift or a curse. I recently saw a homeless guy on the street begging for Strava crowns. I sadly realized it was a guy I used to ride with.

Sad.
    Hahahaaaaaa................love it!

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    I agree with those that simply use it for bike stats. I like to know my mileage and time. I like the fact that it tells you your mileage for the week. I love the average and top speed. It is just a great information tool. I don't care about KOM, my biggest competitor is myself.

Kitty! Kitty! Kitty!
    I use it to track my rides and mileage. Plus it's nice to look at every now and then and have it remind me I need to get out on a ride!

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Strava - for entertainment purposes only....

the half breed devil
    Quote Originally Posted by emptybe_er View Post
    Strava - for entertainment purposes only....
    yup. pretty much.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by GelatiCruiser View Post
    I use it to track my rides and mileage. Plus it's nice to look at every now and then and have it remind me I need to get out on a ride!
    I wish people used it responsibly. My local trail is always developing shortcuts through corners!

mtbr member
    I like Strava simply because I've had the best luck with it as a GPS mapper. I tried several other paid apps before a friend suggested Strava and I found it to be the most reliable so far. It's never crashed and when the GPS is locked on (pre-ride) it's always tracked my distance with terrific accuracy. I know this because I have a wired computer on my bike as a backup and it and Strava calculation are usually within a few tenths.

The segment comparison is simply a bonus but it's fun to go out and pimp a fellow friend/rider that you're faster than him on a particular segment. Fwiw, I never try to beat any downhill times, just the uphill ones.
    Please donate to IMBA or your local chapter. It's trail karma.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    ADVICE: Don't start recording your ride until you get to the trailhead. If you start it from your house, bike thieves know where to come and get your gear.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by pjq6 View Post
    ADVICE: Don't start recording your ride until you get to the trailhead. If you start it from your house, bike thieves know where to come and get your gear.
    that's why you set up a privacy zone

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    See: Hackers. Better safe than sorry.

mtbr member
    Why is it hip to hate on Strava?

It's a free app, it maps the ride, it tracks your time and miles.
    ANd most imporant of all - it give you an estimate of your calories burned - so you know how much beer you can drink for the day

and like setting PR's on the climbs, you can really see a time difference and it's safer for others...
    bombing down a hiker infested trail to shave off two seconds is pure stupidity

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    It is a great app. It's nice to able to use the raw mapping data in Google Earth too.

Although I can do without the Strava Facebook updates from people who can ride circles around me.

govt kontrakt projkt mgr
    Because so many littler guys do it just as well. There is more than one to choose from and Strava has just become mind numbingly a nuisance--like a bad ad that wont go away.

Quote Originally Posted by metalaficionado View Post
    Why is it hip to hate on Strava?

It's a free app, it maps the ride, it tracks your time and miles.
    ANd most imporant of all - it give you an estimate of your calories burned - so you know how much beer you can drink for the day

and like setting PR's on the climbs, you can really see a time difference and it's safer for others...
    bombing down a hiker infested trail to shave off two seconds is pure stupidity

Afric Pepperbird
    Quote Originally Posted by emaisch1080 View Post
    Not true at all. Texting and driving is dangerous and stupid.
    Who mentioned texting and driving??

My nephews, co-workers, neighbors, and just about everyone else I see cannot be happy unless they have a gadget (most likely a smart phone) in hand. It's a rather sad addiction.

the half breed devil
    Quote Originally Posted by dirt farmer View Post
    Who mentioned texting and driving??

My nephews, co-workers, neighbors, and just about everyone else I see cannot be happy unless they have a gadget (most likely a smart phone) in hand. It's a rather sad addiction.
    yeah, that's true... but i start recording my ride on my gadget, put it in leave-me-alone-mode and stuff it in a pocket somewhere for several hours.

mtbr member
    When did it become so uncool to be competitive. I played basketball, football, soccer ... I don't recall anyone stopping in the middle of the game saying here lets give the other team the ball because it's so uncool to be beating them.

I may not have too many KOM's, but in my area on a lot of trails 15th is pretty damn fast and I'll take it if I can get there and feel good about it too.

P.S. I don't cut corners on the trail and I don't buzz hikers. I sow down when I need to. If that means a slower time no biggie. I rode the same way before Strava.

People compete in freeride/all mountain too. Getting over obstacles and sometimes even illegally building them. Oh and the GoPro crowd is not immune from riding over their heads to impress either. I've seen many buzz past hikers on the "rad" downhill runs.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    I have been using it for a month now and like it just to keep track of my stats, milage and speed. I'm not concered with beating someone elses time on a route. Most of the routes in my area are road rides.

Fat-tired Roadie
    I get a kick out of Strava. I even had a moment of considering paying the premium subscription. But in messing around with the tracks of people who've paid for it, it doesn't seem like I can get it to give me data at the resolution I want - broken up by lap.

Downloading Golden Cheetah now; ask me later if I like it...
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by pjq6 View Post
    See: Hackers. Better safe than sorry.
    Suuuuure buddy, suuuuuure.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2