mtbr member
    Nov 2010

So this bike just sort of fell into my hands

and I'm not really sure what to do with it.

Circa 2002 Giant NRS XTC1 in darn near mint condition. Belongs to a buddy that doesn't ride and he wants to get rid of it. I said I'd take a look at it and post it up for sale but here's the dilemma, it rides really nice and I kind of like it. Thinking hard about keeping it for myself I'm just not sure if I want to get into possibly needing to upgrade a few parts on an 11 year old bike. I think of things like fixing or replacing the Hayes brakes or putting a more modern fork on it could get be an issue.

I was pretty sure I was going upgrade to a nicer 29er than I have now but I can milk the one I have a bit longer I guess. I'm not sure if I want to pass on it and just get the new bike or keep it and put a little money into both bikes and have a couple different ride choices. I like my 29er but those 26 inch wheels sure are flickable and it wheelies really easy. And yes those bar ends really are that big.

dru
    mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    The need to upgrade is partly reality and partly hype. A big concern is the suspension seals and bushings. If the shock and fork were well looked after/have low hours you are golden. After that, wear and tear on the drivetrain is your next worry. From the picture the bike looks mint so maybe you've dodged a bullet and don't even need to replace a chain.

Why would you replace the SID? Its only weakness is the fact it's a bit of a noodle.

If that were mine I'd ditch the bar ends and ugly seat, and throw on a riser bar and maybe a shorter stem.

There's absolutely no reason to be concerned about mint components being 11 years old, so what.

Drew
    occasional cyclist

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Yea it's mint alright, I don't think it has more than 100 miles on it. The tires still have the little nubs on them. It does have riser bars but they are pretty wide and those bar ends are huge. The sid just looks a bit goofy with that giant brace and rim brake bosses. I did notice a drop of oil on the right fork leg by the seal, could it still be rebuilt? It feels tiny compared to my 29er but just riding around my back yard I felt I could really throw it around and I'm sure it would be great in the tight stuff. Here's a size comparison.

dru
    mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    You're good! Road bike, big wheel and little wheel bikes. What more does a guy need?

Drew
    occasional cyclist

Kitty! Kitty! Kitty!
    I know the feeling! Keep it. I just scooped my wife's bike from her parent's house. It's a '98 Trek Singletrack 920. It has less than 50 miles on it. It feels good to stumble across a "vintage" bike that is in great shape, stock and has low miles on it. I fell in love with this bike, so I know how you feel. Why not keep it? Seems like a nice bike and it could turn out to be a fun "project" bike.

mtbr member
    May 2006

So this bike just sort of fell into my hands

The NRS suspension on these bikes is well known for placing a lot of stress on the seat tube - which eventually snaps under heavy use. But apparently they're a nice bike to ride until that happens

Doesntplaywellwithmorons!
    I wouldn't describe an NRS as riding nice since they're designed to be ridden with ZERO sag in the rear shock, otherwise they pedal bob something fierce.
    I don't post to generate business for myself or make like I'm better than sliced bread

mtbr member
    Keep it! I had a 97 GT LTS 2 that was in nowhere the shape yours is in. I rebuilt it and had a blast! Well eventually I needed the "upgrade" so I bought a new bike and sold my GT. love my new bike but man do I regret selling my GT. I have a soft spot now for retro mountain bikes. Technology only gets better with time so the bikes from yesterday will always have complaints from riders, I say screw that! Those bikes had people having a blast as they were meant to do. You're lucky to have an older bike that is such great shape, have fun with it! My $0.02

ballbuster
    Quote Originally Posted by dru View Post
    You're good! Road bike, big wheel and little wheel bikes. What more does a guy need?

Drew
    ... a singlespeed.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I'll pass judgement after I've had some time to put a few miles on it. I don't see it being my main ride and I don't have the funds for a new 29er and the Giant. My BD 29er has been great but the downside is that I should have gone with the next size smaller. I can ride it fine but it just feels a bit big at times. Might just get a smaller Bike Island frame and swap the components over since they sell the same frame pretty cheap. But at that point I have just about the same amount of money in the Giant and new frame as I would in just getting a whole new bike. I hate feeling indecisive.

dru
    mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by pimpbot
    ... a singlespeed.
    Well played, my friend!
    occasional cyclist