mtbr member
    Jun 2007

Slip on Bash Guard/Third Chainring Cover

I think one time I saw something that basically slips onto the third chainring to protect it and turn it into a bash guard. Does anyone know what I'm talking about and where I can buy one? Or am I crazy?
    Matt

it's....
    I've only seen them on Walmart bikes.

Sweep the leg!
    a slip-on bash guard? I think not. Anything that "slips on" will pop right off once something hits it the way a bash guard is intended to work. Also, plastic wouldn't survive for very long if it was getting impacted as a bash guard.

I think what you saw was a plastic chainring guard which is meant to protect pants from getting chain oil on them.

There are bolt-on bash guards made of aluminum and they generally are held in place by the chainring bolts.
    Authorities speculate that speed may have been a factor. They are also holding gravity and inertia for questioning.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    What I'm thinking of looks like the Purely Custom Soft Touch Bash Guard, but it would be just the soft part to put over the existing third ring. It wouldn't necessarily slip off, because the inside of it would have an inverse tooth shape, so it would be held on by the teeth. If it hits something, the pressure of the hit and the fact that it is held on by the teeth should keep it in place.

It's possible that when I first saw the PC Soft Touch bash guard I misinterpreted what it was, and now that's what I'm thinking of. If it doesn't already exist, it would be a cool product if it works in practice.
    Matt

Sweep the leg!
    Quote Originally Posted by m85476585 View Post
    What I'm thinking of looks like the Purely Custom Soft Touch Bash Guard
    That bolts on via the chain ring bolts.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Slip on Bash Guard/Third Chainring Cover-pc_colors.jpg  

Last edited by Caffeine Powered; 03-04-2012 at 12:22 PM.
    Authorities speculate that speed may have been a factor. They are also holding gravity and inertia for questioning.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010

Sweep the leg!
    Quote Originally Posted by MitchD View Post
    also bolts on via the chain ring bolts
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Probably drunk right now

Nope, won't work...

Quote Originally Posted by m85476585 View Post
    What I'm thinking of looks like the Purely Custom Soft Touch Bash Guard, but it would be just the soft part to put over the existing third ring. It wouldn't necessarily slip off, because the inside of it would have an inverse tooth shape, so it would be held on by the teeth. If it hits something, the pressure of the hit and the fact that it is held on by the teeth should keep it in place.

It's possible that when I first saw the PC Soft Touch bash guard I misinterpreted what it was, and now that's what I'm thinking of. If it doesn't already exist, it would be a cool product if it works in practice.
    It won't work for a couple of reasons:

1. It won't protect the teeth or the chain ring. If you hit the ring hard enough that it needs protection, it's still going to bend the ring and/or mangle the teeth. Rocks will tear it up.

2. You can shift in to it and really mess up your chain and front DR. Perhaps even your rear DR of you're going fast enough.

3. The make bolt on bash guards that will fit over a triple already that are effective. So this would be a product that doesn't effectively do anything or solve a problem.
    JPark - 3.5- don't listen to dremer