Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

The slickest electric bike I've seen

24K views 43 replies 22 participants last post by  jeffgothro 
#1 · (Edited)
...so far. Got around to fully reading the mtbr.com review of this beast. and I think the Ohm XS-750 is pretty much how I'd build an electric commuter or around town electric bike, except for the 57.5 lbs. and $3799 price tag parts maybe. ;) It uses the proven Bion-X 350 watt drive system, the quick release Bion-X battery is located in the middle of the bike to balance the weight out some, it has fast charging, XT drivetrain, standard fenders, decent rack, Schwalbe Marathon tires, a Magura Menja fork, Magura Louise brakes, B & M lights, Mavic 317s and so on. The 57.5 lbs. and $3799 price are still pretty big obstacles to actually purchasing one though. I wouldn't want to pedal that too far when it's out of juice. :p Given the level of components and the Bion-X system it's probably not that high of a price for those that can afford it.

https://ohmcycles.com/wp-content/themes/ohmcycles/electric-bikes/xs750/OHM_xs750SpecSheet.pdf

See less See more
#11 ·
Tax credit for those too

For 12k I would rather have one of these:

Doesn't pedal and can't use it on the bike path but 100mph and an 80 mile range capacity make spending that kind of money at least a bit more worthwhile:D
Brammo motorcycles are eligible for the recently passed 10% federal tax credit for plug-in vehicles

About The Federal Tax Incentives
As part of the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act of 2010 (H.R.1) two new tax incentives were included for electric motorcycles:
First: is a tax credit in Section 1142 (H.R.1, pp. 214-217) which changes IRS Code Section 30 to allow for 2 wheeled electric vehicles to be included as a qualified plug-in electric vehicle in the overall plug-in vehicle tax credit.

These vehicles which need to be able to drive on public roads, streets, and highways, are eligible for a 10% Federal Tax Credit up to a maximum of $2,500. This is a Federal tax credit, which reduces your tax liability by the amount of the credit; eg: if you owe $5,000 to the IRS and purchase an $8,000 electric motorcycle package, you would receive an $800 credit and now owe $4,200. If you are owed a refund by the IRS, your refund is increased by the amount of the tax credit
Second: is a tax deduction for state sales taxes paid on motorcycles under Section 1008 (H.R.1, pp. 203-204).

This provides all taxpayers with a deduction for State and local sales and excise taxes paid on the purchase of new cars, light truck, recreational vehicles, and motorcycles through 2010. This deduction is subject to a phase-out for taxpayers with adjusted gross income in excess of $125,000 ($250,000 in the case of a joint return). In this case, since it is a Federal tax deduction, the amount comes off your adjusted gross income and reduces the amount of taxes paid based on your income tax bracket

As with all tax matters, this information does not constitute tax advice, please consult your tax advisor, attorney, or accountant for specific details on how to claim these tax benefits. The IRS will be providing final forms and instructions for these new tax incentives later in 2010.

http://www.brammo.com/incentives/

Also, the same bike with 60 mile range instead of 80 mile range is $2000 less. :)

http://www.brammo.com/empulse/

Seems way better than an electric bicycle in some ways. :thumbsup:

#3 ·
Those may be even slicker

MABman said:
The Bion X system on the Ohm is ok but I like the new Bosch BB drive system better because you gain access to the bikes gearing which helps alot in the under 500w class. This example is around 45 lbs.
View attachment 615223
Significantly lighter that's for sure and having both the drive unit and battery centered on the bike has got to be a good thing. I hadn't seen the Bosch system before, thanks.

http://www.bosch-ebike.de/en/ebike/homepage.html

http://www.rotwild.de/index.php/en/bikes/tour/rt1h

Attachments

#4 ·
Although Cannondale was mentioned last year of being in on the development of the Bosch drive system it doesn't look like they have anything out yet other than some presence at Eurobike last fall. I am hoping that Bosch will break the 250w/25 kmh EU barrier with at least a 600w/20mph system for sale here in the states.

I personally have no problem with the 20 mph law as long as I can get there from one edge of the street to the other:) For inner city riding it is all about the launch and hill bursts and with a BB system there is not as much drag as a hub motor so pedaling efficiency is better for speeds above 20.

Hadn't seen that Rotwild 29"er either. Nice. Now lets see a Bosch drive on a cargo bike.

#5 ·
Speaking of Cannondale

MABman said:
Although Cannondale was mentioned last year of being in on the development of the Bosch drive system it doesn't look like they have anything out yet other than some presence at Eurobike last fall. I am hoping that Bosch will break the 250w/25 kmh EU barrier with at least a 600w/20mph system for sale here in the states.

I personally have no problem with the 20 mph law as long as I can get there from one edge of the street to the other:) For inner city riding it is all about the launch and hill bursts and with a BB system there is not as much drag as a hub motor so pedaling efficiency is better for speeds above 20.

Hadn't seen that Rotwild 29"er either. Nice. Now lets see a Bosch drive on a cargo bike.
I was trying to find that too. On the way to looking that up I found these Cytronex systems which are just a lightweight electric front hub, lightweight battery and manual throttle. That seems like a pretty good way to go, though there's probably not much in the way of power and range. At least when it's petered out you're not pedaling an extra 20-30 pounds of weight around.

http://www.cytronex.com/bikes/index.html

#8 ·
Yeah they look like they're functional

Have you ever seen an Optibike?

Pricey, but it makes this Ohm thing look like a Huffy.
Probably a great bike as far as function goes but first of all they START at $6000 for the least expensive one and go to $10,000 and that's before you buy any of their pricey upgrades. Esthetically they also look like bloated nightmare versions of old Trek Y-bikes. Neither quality, the price or the looks are for me thanks.

http://optibike.com/

Attachments

#15 ·
Wow, I'm surprised nobody has mentioned the Stealth Electric Bike. Definitely the slickest electric MTB out there in my opinion. Crazy expensive at around $7000 I think but its more of an electric dirtbike with pedals if you ask me.

My money would go towards the Brammo though. :thumbsup:

#16 ·
#18 ·
The above all suck because they are electric and can only carry the rider. How about a Mundo 500? It carries you and a great deal more, like how about 200 lbs of items in boxes to the FedEx drop off? And it isn't a crazy looking concept or overly complicated, it actually looks like a bike, a cargo bike really. It already exists right here in the Bay Area and costs less than the above options.

#19 ·
Wait, KTM makes bicycles? In fact, a huge range of bicycles, even comfort bikes? Wow, that kind of rattled my whole world view. I knew they were playing around with some hybrid moto-x / elec MTB type rigs, but had no idea about all of this.

Anyway, i'm sort of on the same page as illnacord. Elec really shows it's value when you're hauling cargo. Nice for just a commuter bike too, so you can commute without getting all sweaty and get there quicker, etc, but you don't need a real high-zoot system just for that.

#20 ·
German e-bikes

I've noticed that my local LBS has been putting out more electric assist bikes on the floor. Lots of folks out on the trails and bike paths on a good day so I'm guessing they're targeting a certain demographic. It's fairly hilly here so that may be a factor as well. I can see the electric assist extending touring range.

Here's an interesting e-trike,

Low step thru height plus the stability of the trike design would be perfect for older folks.

Fancy a ride with your sweetie? E-assist tandem!

Want cruiser bike cool?

Hybrid?

This one had the fattest aluminum tubing I've ever seen on a bike. Just take a look at the seatpost! Cool integrated headlights in the stem.

Hardtail version of the Haibike posted earilier,

#23 ·
I've noticed that my local LBS has been putting out more electric assist bikes on the floor. Lots of folks out on the trails and bike paths on a good day so I'm guessing they're targeting a certain demographic. It's fairly hilly here so that may be a factor as well. I can see the electric assist extending touring range.

Interesting to see inside a shop over there as it is well documented how well sales of e bikes are going across the pond. We are way behind here in the US and it will be awhile yet before you will be able to get that amount of variety walking through the door of a bike shop!

It does seem that bb drive systems are gaining popularity over hub systems but as I said in an earlier post it makes the most sense with 250w systems to be able to access the bikes drivetrain and hub motors don't allow for that.

The power potential here in the states is much higher though as some states allow for up to 1000w and all others are at least 750w. The speed limit is not much higher @ 20 mph but it does allow for much more torque which is what putting an e system on a bike is all about for me anyway. I want the power to be able to launch from stop signs and tackle steep grades with a loaded cargo bike and 250w just doesn't do that like 1000 will.

It doesn't look good for the EU though in regards to a power upgrade according to this article, although they are already building bikes of the "speed pedelec" class and selling them over there. http://www.bike-eu.com/news/5052/sp...n Regulations&WT.mc_id=mail_bike_21 juni 2011
Maybe if they called them "torque" pedelecs instead of speed they might get some traction. Or blend them in to the already in place moped class.

#27 ·
More pics....from the Shasta Dam Rail Trail, which connects to the Sacramento River Trail.
Ride was earlier this year with the Bunny on her Walmart Mongoose. My bike came with the skateboard seat add-on...gotta love it!

#32 ·
Someday a manufacturer will come on the scene with a production ebike that is affordable, quality, looks good and performs nice. The 'model T" of ebikes. Cost needs to be below 1000$ for commuters to consider them on mass scale. I built my ebike for $800 and it's great, but it took a good amount of work to modify the full suspension frame for the strong hub motor and battery enclosure.

As long as lawmakers act sensible and don't start banning ebikes on effective bike paths that can be used for transportation, the future looks very bright for ebikes.

#36 ·
As a quirk of fate and a few extra funchips laying around I ended up with an Ohm 450 in really nice well cared for condition last fall from a local Craig's Listing. It was too cheap to pass up and so I bought it feeling I could at least get my money back out of it.

It rides well as a bicycle as long as you stay on relatively flat terrain and the motor aids it enough for some inclines and headwinds. The battery on it holds a charge for about 15 miles of puttering around as long as you don't try and ride it on anything too steep and don't use the throttle heavily.

I have let quite a few folks ride it and they all seem pleased with it and come back with big grins on their faces. However I much prefer my 1000w 48v system because it doesn't get phased by any of the terrain I ride with it and has longer range while doing so plus rides like a bicycle even better.

#39 ·
Sweet

It rides well as a bicycle as long as you stay on relatively flat terrain and the motor aids it enough for some inclines and headwinds. The battery on it holds a charge for about 15 miles of puttering around as long as you don't try and ride it on anything too steep and don't use the throttle heavily.

I have let quite a few folks ride it and they all seem pleased with it and come back with big grins on their faces. However I much prefer my 1000w 48v system because it doesn't get phased by any of the terrain I ride with it and has longer range while doing so plus rides like a bicycle even better.
Nice purchase and thanks for the write up. The battery capacity sounds very non-impressive but knowing how fast the lithium batteries in some of our laptops degrade I imagine that it probably needs a replacement or at least to have some marginal cells replaced.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.