Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Results 51 to 75 of 99
  1. #51
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    312
    So many misguided youth these days.

  2. #52
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Mr Pig's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    1,272
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffscott View Post
    I used to like my right leg best cause I really broke my left leg badly many years ago...But two years ago I sprained my ACL on the right leg and this year I had a full ACL repair on the left leg...So right now I like my left leg better.
    Interesting. I would have said that I like both equally, cosmetically there seems to be little difference, but I have noticed that when I step up onto something I always use my right leg first. Does this mean that I like or trust my right leg more? Or perhaps I value my left more so subconsciously choose to expose my right leg to danger first! It's a puzzle.

  3. #53
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Mr Pig's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    1,272
    Quote Originally Posted by tiretracks View Post
    So many misguided youth these days.
    That's why they crash so often.

  4. #54
    I love Pisgah
    Reputation: Duckman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,397
    What if a "real mtn biker with skills" then decides to start racing XC? Does that mean he now has no skills all of a sudden? Jus' wondering.

    The ol adage still rings true I see.."how do you spot a mtb newb?..because he makes fun of other riders in Lycra". Typical.

    Carry on.
    "I've breathed the mtn air, man" Johnny Cash

    It's a long way to the top
    . . . if you wanna rock and roll (ac/dc)

  5. #55
    Elitest thrill junkie
    Reputation: Jayem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    20,129
    Endurance? Pfft, I'd rather have POWER. Mountain biking is all about repeatedly going anaerobic and recovering. This is why people do squats to get better.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

    You're turning black metallic.

  6. #56
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    149
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbikej View Post
    I find that skills for a lot of riders tend to be more of a natural thing....they get on a bike and the skills to handle it take little to no effort.
    I'd really like to know how that works, because it sure doesn't work that way for me.
    I'm a month into my latest attempt to learn to bunny-hop, and getting nowhere.



    So far, the choice has been made for me.

  7. #57
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    2,715

    I want more Skillz

    Sorry didn't read the whole thread but to me;

    Endurance = riding a mountain bike, anyone can do it.
    Skills = going Mountainbiking, only mountain bikers need apply.

  8. #58
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    115
    I pretty much only ride solo, working on new skills can be tenuous at times. Now that I have the endurance to ride at the same skill level at the 10th mile that I do at the 2nd mile I'm now slowly working on trying new things.

    Thursday I found a few skinnies that I could do, but then I couldn't do the ones with a bigger step up or ones that were multi-level. Later on I tried a 6' tall rock, stalled just as the back tire hit and nearly put myself in a really stupid situation on a trail I'd never been on before. My agility on a XL 29er can be a little lacking at times lol!

    Wish I'd gotten into this before.
    2013 Trek Superfly 100 AL Elite
    "It's not us, it's the mud!" - foxhound.rank

  9. #59
    29ers Forever
    Reputation: CannondaleF9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    2,782
    Quote Originally Posted by Duckman View Post
    What if a "real mtn biker with skills" then decides to start racing XC? Does that mean he now has no skills all of a sudden? Jus' wondering.

    The ol adage still rings true I see.."how do you spot a mtb newb?..because he makes fun of other riders in Lycra". Typical.

    Carry on.
    Then you have Nino Schurter. Endurance and Skills. Ultimate mountainbiker.
    2013 Trek Cobia- 29er
    2015 Raleigh Misceo- Gravel bike
    2013 Trek 3700 Disk- 26er
    1994 Cannondale R300- narrow tire roadie

  10. #60
    mtbr member
    Reputation: borabora's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    575
    Strava doesn't give us segment average times but you can eyeball them pretty easily. If you do that you'll find the percentage time difference between the segment average rider and the KOM is larger for "endurance segments" than for "skill segments." I would interpret that to mean that if you have a race on a balanced skill/endurance course the endurance rider has an advantage because s/he can widen the gap more on an endurance segment that the skill rider can on the skill segment.

    Of course the endurance rider has to have enough skill not to crash out on the skill segments. And, in reality the folks that are KOM or near KOM on one type of segment are also KOM or near KOM on the other type of segment.

    In the end the rider who has the most fun wins independent of his or skill or endurance levels.

    Now back to the merits and inappropriateness of lycra...

  11. #61
    mtbr member
    Reputation: falconpunch79's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    218
    Quote Originally Posted by borabora View Post

    Now back to the merits and inappropriateness of lycra...
    When temperatures soar into the 70s, I ditch the shorts and go with the cooler lycra. Also, it shows off the sculpted legs I've developed from carting my fat ass up hills (but not off drops, jumps or anything else, because I'm not a real mountain biker). Also I must add that lycra with holes, totally inappropriate...

  12. #62
    Warrior's Society
    Reputation: mtnbikej's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Posts
    5,209
    Quote Originally Posted by andytiedye View Post
    I'd really like to know how that works, because it sure doesn't work that way for me.
    I'm a month into my latest attempt to learn to bunny-hop, and getting nowhere.



    So far, the choice has been made for me.
    It comes from riding BMX bikes when we are kids.
    I crashed hard enough on my Tallboy to break my leg,
    The carbon is way more durable than most people.

  13. #63
    Fat-tired Roadie
    Reputation: AndrwSwitch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    14,260

    Re: Skill or Endurance

    Quote Originally Posted by falconpunch79 View Post
    When temperatures soar into the 70s, I ditch the shorts and go with the cooler lycra. Also, it shows off the sculpted legs I've developed from carting my fat ass up hills (but not off drops, jumps or anything else, because I'm not a real mountain biker). Also I must add that lycra with holes, totally inappropriate...
    Semantics in this thread are starting to make my head hurt too.

    As far as I'm concerned, none of the segments in Strava are really long enough to be endurance segments. Though when you look at the whole ride one of our local pros was doing when he KOM'd something, it's often a few hours long and he was pretty much going fast the whole time. I've also noticed that it's the same guys in the first ten spots on both logging road climbs and flow descents. (And more old-school XC descents.)

    Funny thing is that what got me to go back and do some targeted skills practice was XC racing. I rode a lot of road when I lived in Manhattan. Not much access to MTB there, and what there is doesn't really compare to what I'd ridden in Santa Cruz. When I moved to Seattle and started pinning a number on, I could get up a fire road faster than other guys in Sport, but not necessarily keep my gap on a descent and technical climbing was my Kryptonite because it meant there was nothing for me to be better at. Flat to rolling singletrack wasn't great for me either, since losing a bunch of speed to negotiate every little thing meant accelerating a lot, and that's a ton of work.

    I'm having a pretty good season this year. A lot of that is mostly riding my mountain bike on trails. (If you want to say that's not mountain biking, I'm not sure what's left, but whatever.) I think it's making me a better-rounded rider. I'm still doing some long rides, both because I enjoy mountain biking so why not spend a few hours at it if I can, and because I was preparing for an endurance race I did today. Those are mostly on singletrack, because i can and because I think mountain biking is usually the best way to train for mountain biking (Go figure.) And, I'm doing some top end and medium-duration work. Finally, I've kept up with skills practice, mostly sessioning things that give me trouble. I think it's the blend, and doing most of it on singletrack, that's helping me get things to click this season.

    So yeah, "both."
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

  14. #64
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Mr Pig's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    1,272
    Quote Originally Posted by borabora View Post
    Now back to the merits and inappropriateness of lycra...
    I wear Lycra shorts most of the time. When cycling, obviously, I don't wear them to work. Very comfortable and I couldn't care less about what other people think.

    When you go to trail centres you see loads of guys with all the trendy clobber on, brand new mega full-suspension bikes, hydration packs and then you realise that they can't get up the hills! You can't buy ability in a bike shop and if you try to you just look like an idiot.

  15. #65
    Formerly of Kent
    Reputation: Le Duke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    2,779

    Skill or Endurance

    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    Endurance? Pfft, I'd rather have POWER. Mountain biking is all about repeatedly going anaerobic and recovering. This is why people do squats to get better.
    Squats aren't going to do much to build sustainable power.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  16. #66
    Formerly of Kent
    Reputation: Le Duke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    2,779

    Skill or Endurance

    Quote Originally Posted by CannondaleF9 View Post
    I'm the guy on the short travel rig. If a racerboy flew past me I'd just wait and watch for something catastrophic to happen. If a guy on a serious full suspension bike wearing body armour flew past me, I'd wait and watch for something awesome to happen.


    XC racers are weight weenies and have great endurance, that means a mountain version of a road bike, so in theory, they are both mountain and non mountain bikers.
    Most people who race are going to lay the wood to you, uphill or down.

    I'm not sure why there is this misconception that Lycra = bad bike handling.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  17. #67
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Mr Pig's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    1,272
    Quote Originally Posted by Le Duke View Post
    I'm not sure why there is this misconception that Lycra = bad bike handling.
    There is?

    Maybe from the fact that roadies wear it so a guy on an MTB wearing it might be more likely to be a roadie gone native. And roadies might be less likely to have good off road skill?

  18. #68
    mtbr member
    Reputation: J.B. Weld's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    2,648
    Quote Originally Posted by Le Duke View Post
    Most people who race are going to lay the wood to you, uphill or down.

    I'm not sure why there is this misconception that Lycra = bad bike handling.

    Denial? Maybe some people can't handle the fact that some skinny dude sporting less than masculine clothing just laid down some serious whoop-@ss on them.

    Anyone who spends much time in the upper categories racing xc is going to be strong and fast, and you can't travel fast over rough terrain without possessing excellent bike handling skills.

  19. #69
    Formerly of Kent
    Reputation: Le Duke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    2,779

    Skill or Endurance

    Personal anecdote:

    Took KOM on a climb/descent loop near Lake Placid recently. 29er HT, Lycra. Rocks, roots, loose corners. ~26 minutes.

    I bought a SC Tallboy LTC frame recently. Had a guy in the SC sub forum tell me to get a 140mm fork for it, specifically referencing the loop in question.

    In some respects, he's right. I wasn't the fastest on the downhill. I DID eat **** on a loose, dusty corner.

    But a longer travel bike/fork, or even bigger tires wouldn't have helped. Everyone over cooks a corner now and them.

    Technical climbing skills and hot, nasty power got me to the top the quickest, and much better than average descending ability got me down faster than most, with a slight hiccup.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  20. #70
    mtbr dismember
    Reputation: Wherewolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    6,578

    Amusing

    Quote Originally Posted by CannondaleF9 View Post
    As I said, people with great endurance are roadies, or XC racers. People with skills are real mountain bikers. (
    Amusing to see all the "experts" pontificating here. E.g., one lives in Florida and does 15 mile rides
    How many of you have even ridden on a mountain?

    Quote Originally Posted by Overhillthruthewoods View Post
    I'm still astonished to see how few mountain bikers can wheelie, manual, hop anything higher than a curb, ride a log, etc.
    I'm still astonished how many mountain bikers can't do what a crippled senior citizen can do

    My wheels never touch pavement, I do not race and I can only ride twice a week. Below is my typical ride, me on my first day of retirement, and the OP. None of you will ever get up to his skill level. I have about the worst skills ever, but nobody has more fun on the trails than me.






  21. #71
    mtbr member
    Reputation: MSU Alum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    1,071
    I'm 62. My skill level continues to increase. My endurance is "on the back 9". I'd take endurance over skill any time, just like I'd take youth over experience, but I don't get a choice.

  22. #72
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Nubster's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    4,103
    I'm in the endurance camp. There's lots of trails around that you can get by without much skill but there's not a lot around that you can ride without some endurance. When I started riding I had neither. It sucked. I was huffing and puffing and sucking for air and I was miserable. Now that my fitness is 1000% better, I can enjoy the trails I ride even though my skills are stills are lacking.
    Quote Originally Posted by Psycle151 View Post
    Friggin' coward. Give me a red chiclet instead of debating like a man. You don't deserve your green blocks.

  23. #73
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    149
    Endurance is also useful off the bike.

  24. #74
    Fat-tired Roadie
    Reputation: AndrwSwitch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    14,260
    So's skill.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

  25. #75
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Crankout's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    942
    Endurance. Can there be a correlation with age re: one's choice I wonder?

    F9 is a young rider I'm guessing. Balls out or nothing, apparently.
    Life will pound away where the light don't shine, son...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Feats of skill
    By heyyall in forum Off Camber (off topic)
    Replies: 42
    Last Post: 07-15-2014, 09:13 AM
  2. Replies: 38
    Last Post: 06-20-2014, 08:36 PM
  3. MTB Skill Help!!!!!!
    By MountainPassion in forum Beginner's Corner
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 08-22-2013, 08:24 AM
  4. skill help....
    By hozman67 in forum Downhill - Freeride
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-13-2012, 08:45 PM
  5. Falling: A necessary skill?
    By Mr Horse in forum Downhill - Freeride
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 05-21-2012, 09:32 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •