mtbr member
    Jul 2012

Skewer question?

Yes, I realize this is a very noob question. So please don't beat me up too bad.

I have a 2001 Specialized Enduro. I recently bought a new front skewer. But it was Appx 5mm. And my original skewer is around 9mm. I searched for a bigger diameter skewer. But it seems that 5mm is the standard.

Is this because I have an old bike and need to upgrade?

mtbr member
    Duct tape iz like teh Force. It has a Lite side and a Dark side and it holdz the Universe together.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    5mm skewers have been the standard for a long time. Specialized has been using 9mm skewers (like what mitzikatzi listed) for a while to stiffen up the front end. What you have is acutally better than 5mm, so you are better off keeping the 9mm that you have. Currently 15mm is growing into the new standard.
    2012 On One Whippet 650b
    2012 Santa Cruz TRc 650b
    2014 On One Dirty Disco
    2010 Soma Groove
    1987 Haro RS1

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Thanks for the info!!

I'm now trying to locate a better looking skewer like the Crank Brothers one I bought last week. I don't see many 9mm skewers. And the ones I do see are dull looking.

Do you guys know a site that I'd have better luck with?

Thanks

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Also, what's the technical name? I've been searching "9mm skewer".

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    somewhat related question - there is 9mm skewers and 10mm axles correct?
    Anyone know if its possible to convert hubs(Chris Kings) between the two standards, or if there is some spacer to convert from 9mm to 10mm in the drop out??

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeyHustle View Post
    Also, what's the technical name? I've been searching "9mm skewer".
    Try "through bolt".

VERY limited options and none look like the Crank Bros (which is functionally a so-so QR).
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by pizon View Post
    somewhat related question - there is 9mm skewers and 10mm axles correct?
    Anyone know if its possible to convert hubs(Chris Kings) between the two standards, or if there is some spacer to convert from 9mm to 10mm in the drop out??
    Front axles are 9mm, rear axles are 10mm. Unless you are trying to run a front wheel on the rear there is no reason for such a conversion.
    2012 On One Whippet 650b
    2012 Santa Cruz TRc 650b
    2014 On One Dirty Disco
    2010 Soma Groove
    1987 Haro RS1

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ljsmith View Post
    Front axles are 9mm, rear axles are 10mm. Unless you are trying to run a front wheel on the rear there is no reason for such a conversion.
    Front axles can be 15 mm or 20mm they each need a specific hub and fork to be used.

Front axles can also be "9mm" they both use standard QR type forks (open dropouts).

9mm axles can be "through bolt" and require a special hub and skewer (through bolt/axle).

In other hubs the 9mm axle is part of the hub. It has a 5mm hole in the center that allows a 5mm QR skewer to be used.

9mm axles can also be threaded and use nuts to secure the wheel.

Some hubs can be used as all 4 types with the use of adapters eg Hope.

Generally most standard 9mm/QR hubs can not be converted.
    Last edited by mitzikatzi; 10-17-2012 at 07:24 PM.
    Duct tape iz like teh Force. It has a Lite side and a Dark side and it holdz the Universe together.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by ljsmith View Post
    so the question is really about my rear wheel. it is attached to the bike with a QR skewer. This skewer seems pretty much identical to my front. So is it 9mm or 10mm?

Quote Originally Posted by pizon View Post
    so the question is really about my rear wheel. it is attached to the bike with a QR skewer. This skewer seems pretty much identical to my front. So is it 9mm or 10mm?
    The QR skewer itself has a 5mm shaft (front and rear).

As stated previously in this thread, and in a few hundred other threads, the axle ends for "standard" open/QR dropouts/hubs are 9mm front and 10mm rear. There is no 9mm rear and no 10mm front.
    mtbtires.com

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy View Post
    The QR skewer itself has a 5mm shaft (front and rear).

As stated previously in this thread, and in a few hundred other threads, the axle ends for "standard" open/QR dropouts/hubs are 9mm front and 10mm rear. There is no 9mm rear and no 10mm front.
    That clarifies everything, thanks!

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    If we're talking about one of the best rim brake hubs made, and that Specialized used, it's the Stout hub with Skraxle 9 mm skewer. Very smooth and stiffens up the front end quite a bit. I believe these were made by Hugi (see pic attached)

Or, disc version:
    Specialized Stout Downhill Disc Brake Front Hub | eBay

mtbr member

Question on Skewers

I just bought a 2012 Diamondback Response XE. The skewer on the front wheel looks VERY similar to this one here. Do you guys think it will work? I ****ed mine up... It's on wheelbuilder.com

Quote Originally Posted by onelovetony View Post
    I just bought a 2012 Diamondback Response XE. The skewer on the front wheel looks VERY similar to this one here. Do you guys think it will work? I ****ed mine up... It's on wheelbuilder.com
    Looks like which one?

Will bet you have standard QR skewers. Go see your LBS.
    mtbtires.com

mtbr member
    Looks like which one?

Will bet you have standard QR skewers. Go see your LBS.
    I'm new to this site, so I can't send a link unfortunately. But it is the DT Swiss RWS Steel MTB skewer. 5 mm. My bike is a 2012, and it looks like 5mm is the standard. I'm really new to biking, so I'm trying to learn quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by onelovetony View Post
    I'm new to this site, so I can't send a link unfortunately. But it is the DT Swiss RWS Steel MTB skewer. 5 mm. My bike is a 2012, and it looks like 5mm is the standard. I'm really new to biking, so I'm trying to learn quickly.
    The DT is overkill and can be finicky. Just get a Shimano skewer and have your LBS show you how it works so you are safe and do not damage it.
    mtbtires.com

Sweat is just fat crying.
    Quote Originally Posted by aohammer View Post
    If we're talking about one of the best rim brake hubs made, and that Specialized used, it's the Stout hub with Skraxle 9 mm skewer. Very smooth and stiffens up the front end quite a bit. I believe these were made by Hugi (see pic attached)
    Stay away from the Stout rear hubs. Mine blew up way too soon. I talked with a friend of mine who works in the industry and he admitted they were/are weak.
    Mountain Biking Is Not A Crime stickers, free! (You pay postage. PM me for details.)

mtbr member
    The DT is overkill and can be finicky. Just get a Shimano skewer and have your LBS show you how it works so you are safe and do not damage it.
    I appreciate the help. Thanks!
    Doom On!