Thread: Sizing

mtbr member

Sizing

I am looking to purchase a new full suspension bike. It seems that I am in between sizes. Small or Large. I am 5' 7" with short legs. If it were your choice would you go with the smaller of the frame sizes? Or the larger? Are there benefits to going with the smaller size you can handle or is the larger frame size the way to go?

bust a move
    Smaller for sure, but can I suggest you do so demo first. The bad taste of a bike that doesn't fit right lasts a long time.
    Falling down is part of LIFE…Getting back up is LIVING…

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    I'm 5'7" with short legs/long torso too. Just bought a FS ride (gt Sanction 1.0) and they run big - definitely had to go with a small rather than the medium (did you mean to post "medium" rather than large)? Even then, I had a little seat post cut. Don't go too small thinking you'll whip the ride about easier though. You'll just feel crunched in the cockpit and who wants that on a long techy ride?

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I'm 5'7" with the same short leg (29" inseam) and long back but after trying many bikes and being measured in several bike shops, I find small bikes too cramped and ride a medium nowadays. The problem for me is finding one with sufficient standover height so have been on Specialized Stumpjumpers & Epics over the last few years.