mtbr member
    Dec 2012

Single (1x10) Chainring Options (Wolf tooth, Race Face, etc)

So, this single chainring aftermarket is heating up with Wolf Tooth, RF, Absolute, etc., now in the market. Are there any design/production/quality difference among these products? What makes WT's chainrings different from those of RaceFace?

Just curious.

mtbr member
    Wolf Tooth Components:

Small US based.
    Only make chainrings (for now).
    Offer chainrings in a variety of styles to fit spiderless cranks and standard bolt on.
    You can order direct.

Race Face:

Large corporate company based in Canada.
    Manufacture a variety of awesome parts in many colors.
    Only offer these rings in a 104 BCD configuration.
    Costs slightly less due to mass production.

FWIW I have a Wolf Tooth 32 and it's awesome.
    The cake is a lie.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Just ordered a race-face. Trying to keep costs down and not running a chain guide too. Did anybody step down from a 3x10 setup? If you removed links from chain, how many?
    Noobish
    2013 Cannondale Trail 29er 1
    1990ish Specialized Hardrock

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Doing more research I think i might need a jump stop since i have an xt shadow long cage without a clutch derailleur. I'll try without and see how the new style teeth on the raceface do at chain retention. Then I'll go from there with other chain retention tools, or think about upgrading to zee show plus derailleur.
    Noobish

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    would love a ride report on the non-clutched version as I'm thinking of doing the same.

mtbr member
    Dont forget Blackspire and RotoЯ which I really like but only available in 34 104 and not cheap

mtbr member
    Dont forget Blackspire and RotoЯ which I really like but only available in 34 104 and not cheap

wild times
    Sep 2010
    Wolf tooth CR are awesome. They are a few bucks more but made in the USA and excellent customer service. The website is very easy to navigate through making ordering a breeze. This company is great!

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Long term report.

Raceface 34 tooth
    Hardtail 10 speed.
    Stepped down from 3x10 with no bash guards.
    FSA chain. Did not remove any links.
    Xt long cage non clutch.

Zero drops after 3 months.
    Noobish

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Suprised no one has mentioned MRP, loving mine

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Has anybody used several different narrow/wide rings? I am curious how they compare.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    this is the one i use. its a 104 32 tooth and i was 1x9 but just switched to 1x10 today.

SE Chain Ring, 32 - 48T, Bolt Center Diameter: 104mm

wild times
    Sep 2010
    I initially bought a Wolf Ring 32T but needed a little smaller ring. I bought a Race Face 30T; I had great luck with both.

mtbr member
    Seem to be some non narrow/wide references creeping in here to confuse things. Anyone got a link for the RotoЯ ?

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Rotorbikeusa.com they don't make a standard nw, just a narrow wide q ring that needs the corresponding spider to work on either their cranks, sram x9, x0, x01 or xx1 cranks or s-works cranks.

A few of my shops team members as well as a friend of mine all run it, 34 and 36t versions. Dero chain drop and awesome performance

mtbr member
    Sub

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

Unpredictable
    I have been very happy with my limited time on a race face narrow/wide. I have a zee clutch derailleur, but it has not thrown a chain even running the clutch off.

mtbr member
    I have been running my rf narrow wide with an xt rear Derraileur and I just realized I've been running the clutch off the whole couple months and still haven't thrown a chain (and I ride hard)

Posted via mobile

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Last night I witnessed a young fella carrying his bike back to the parking lot where I ride. He was running a Raceface N/W (didn't notice the tooth count). The ring had taco'ed. He was a large guy, (guessing 6'2", 230#) so he can put a lot of torque on the drive; but that was enough for me to try the wolftooth as my first attempt at this single ring endeavor. I did speak with him and he was not deterred from Raceface (said he had a ton of miles on the ring) and had already ordered another via his phone. I wanted to know more but it was already getting dusk and it was gonna be my first ride at night...

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    I've been using a raceface for almost one year, never dropped a chain or had issues. They do have less to them than the wolftooth but from what I've seen the wolf tooths wear out faster. I would think It would be pretty hard to bend one, maybe with a horrible chainline but even then under typical riding situations even being a bigger guy I can't see them bending easily. I'd think there was an external factor that the guy either didn't mention or wasn't aware of. I have seen a few bent chainrings but most were bashed against rocks, one was from a combination of improper front and rear simultaneous shifts and it was some bootleg oval ring replica out of stamped aluminum so was pretty easy to bend even by hand

The White Jeff W
    Good results so far with North Shore Billet direct mount chainrings on 2 bikes. One single speed one geared.
    No moss...

mtbr member
    Nice bump.
    Did it pretzel from pedalling or smashing off obstacles??

Quote Originally Posted by Amazed View Post
    Last night I witnessed a young fella carrying his bike back to the parking lot where I ride. He was running a Raceface N/W (didn't notice the tooth count). The ring had taco'ed. He was a large guy, (guessing 6'2", 230#) so he can put a lot of torque on the drive; but that was enough for me to try the wolftooth as my first attempt at this single ring endeavor. I did speak with him and he was not deterred from Raceface (said he had a ton of miles on the ring) and had already ordered another via his phone. I wanted to know more but it was already getting dusk and it was gonna be my first ride at night...

mtbr member
    When I built my last bike I configured a 1x10 setup with a spiderless Home Brew Component chainring (took about 8 weeks to get it but I was in no hurry). With no chain guide but a clutch rear derailleur (x9) the configuration worked pretty well but I dropped my chain on bumpy descents. It seemed to get worse over time as I started dropping the chain maybe once every 20 miles or so.

Ordered a Wolf's Tooth spiderless 32t along with a 40t cog for my SRAM cassette. Pretty darn expensive! I haven't dropped my chain in 1200 miles. Runs quiet, no sign of worrisome wear and 100% reliable. While costly I'd replace with Wolf's Tooth again when the time comes.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Chippertheripper View Post
    Nice bump.
    Did it pretzel from pedalling or smashing off obstacles??
    Forgot to say that he did report breaking a chain ring bolt so I' thinking that was where the failure started. It may have been over torqued, loose, or something. But since he was getting another just like it, that says a lot.