mtbr member

Silly question about padded briefs

Are you supposed to wear underwear with them? I just got my first bike-specific clothing. PricePoint has their own store brand for a tad under 12 bucks. I took advantage of their free shipping and think I got a deal compared to what bike clothing goes for! So underwear or is the padded briefs the underwear?

Stiff yet compliant
    Nope, no underwear should be worn with padded bike shorts.

Are you talking to me?

Wait.

What did you buy, exactly? Cheap cycling shorts, or padded underwear. If they are cycling shorts, no underwear.

After you get tired of riding with a diaper, you will get a decent set. I skimp on other things, but not shorts. The pro level bibs are fantastic.
    gfy

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    No to the underwear.

Yes to saving your pennies and getting a nice pair of bibs. Ride what you bought, but know that you get what you pay for. Cheap shorts use thicker padding (read diaper), so it's bulky, but then they also make it from softer, less dense foam, so it packs down, and doesn't really pad much. A better quality short will hold up better, fit better (less bunching and the like) and last longer.

Also, don't machine wash 'em. Just jump straight in the shower with them on, and wash them with shampoo. Gentler on the fabric, and the scent allows you to squeak a second ride out if you forgot to wash them in time.
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by damion
    What did you buy, exactly? Cheap cycling shorts, or padded underwear. If they are cycling shorts, no underwear.

After you get tired of riding with a diaper, you will get a decent set. I skimp on other things, but not shorts. The pro level bibs are fantastic.
    Defintely not shorts, and I definitely would not wear them as such--looks too funny! PricePoint calls them briefs. I should check out a name-brand padded briefs at a bike store for comparison.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    I'm a newbie and looking into buying a pair. I was leaning towards a pair of pro bibs and wearing a pair of biking cargo shorts over top of the bibs. I don't think people want to see a guy like me walking/riding around in tight clothing. lol

Sweat is just fat crying.
    Maybe this will answer your question.

I used to ride with a fellow who wore tighty whities under his padded shorts. One day, a group of us went over to his house to work on our bikes in his backyard. When we went thru the gate, we couldn't help but notice his underwear flapping on the clothesline, drying in the warm sun. Must have been 15 pair up there, and EACH PAIR HAD MASSIVE SKIDMARKS.

fp
    Mountain Biking Is Not A Crime stickers, free! (You pay postage. PM me for details.)

Doctor
    Dec 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by MendonCycleSmith
    Also, don't machine wash 'em. Just jump straight in the shower with them on, and wash them with shampoo. Gentler on the fabric, and the scent allows you to squeak a second ride out if you forgot to wash them in time.
    That's a novel idea!

I wear P.I. Slice and PRO shorts, and their recommendation is cold water washing, delicate cycle. Air dry. Some of my shorts are now 5 years old, and wear/feel the same as some I got this XMas. I ride at least 3500 mi/year - that's a lot of wash cycles. ..just FYI.

To the OP, wearing underwear somewhat defeats the purpose of biking shorts, what with the seams and inferior moisture wicking.

jeff