Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. #1
    L1MEY
    Reputation: mahgnillig's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    796

    Sidi Dominator 2 vs Dominator 5?

    Is there a real tangible difference between the Dominator models (besides the price tag)?

    Thanks,

    - Jen.

  2. #2
    Chrome Toaster
    Reputation: Hecubus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,850
    There are very minor improvements. From the Dom3 on or so they are very tiny and practically not worth it. Its just most notably different colors. The most significant was when they added the adjustable top buckle strap. The original Doms (not sure if the Dom 2 as well) had the buckle strap as a fixed part of a leather flap. If you had very low arches you could clamp it all the way in and the shoe would still be loose. The adjustable flap on the later models solved that.

  3. #3
    "Mr. Britannica"
    Reputation: roadiegonebad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,820
    Quote Originally Posted by mahgnillig
    Is there a real tangible difference between the Dominator models (besides the price tag)?

    Thanks,

    - Jen.

    Along with the different buckle and flap, the velcro straps changed from inside to outside, to outside to inside (or something like that) and the soles changed slightly. I found that the fit was slightly different. Of course the D2 hasn't been made for several years...

  4. #4
    Chrome Toaster
    Reputation: Hecubus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,850
    Quote Originally Posted by roadiegonebad
    Along with the different buckle and flap, the velcro straps changed from inside to outside, to outside to inside (or something like that) and the soles changed slightly. I found that the fit was slightly different. Of course the D2 hasn't been made for several years...
    Oh yeah, forgot that too. The straps close inwards to outside on the new ones.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    2,114
    I actually prefer the old D2s, as the flap that covers the instep was made of the Clarino leather, as opposed to a hard plastic piece.. Although the fit is identical, that plastic piece isn't as comfortable over a long ride..

  6. #6
    Chrome Toaster
    Reputation: Hecubus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,850
    Quote Originally Posted by Reposado Man
    I actually prefer the old D2s, as the flap that covers the instep was made of the Clarino leather, as opposed to a hard plastic piece.. Although the fit is identical, that plastic piece isn't as comfortable over a long ride..
    It was a bit more comfortable but it was a sizing nightmare if you didn't fit into the exact range. Either your foot was too tall and the flap would barely reach the buckle or it was too low and it would still be loose all the way in. The plastic flap has a significant range of adjustability on the other side to solve just that problem.

  7. #7
    jrm
    jrm is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: jrm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    10,217

    Havent the material of the uppers changed?

    Quote Originally Posted by mahgnillig
    Is there a real tangible difference between the Dominator models (besides the price tag)?

    Thanks,

    - Jen.
    to that lorica(sp?) stuff....

  8. #8
    Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Reputation: shiggy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 1998
    Posts
    48,139
    Quote Originally Posted by jrm
    to that lorica(sp?) stuff....
    My Dominator 2s are Lorica or similar synthetic.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •