Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Oct 2010

show your DIY truck bed bike racks

im tired of just tossing my bike in the bed of my tundra and dont want to spend big bucks on a store bought rack. so, lets see what ya got.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I've got 2 mounts on a piece of wood wedged in the front bed of my Colorado. Works great and only cost maybe $35. I could probably add another mount and fit a third bike if I needed to.

The mounts screw into the wood and you attach the front fork to them. Put the front tire elsewhere. I'll take a picture and post it here tomorrow.

Big Damn Hero
    There are several threads on this topic in the Car and Biker forum...

I'm getting a Pipeline rack for my birthday next week for my Titan.
    Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving. ~ Albert Einstein

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by nate. View Post
    im tired of just tossing my bike in the bed of my tundra and dont want to spend big bucks on a store bought rack. so, lets see what ya got.
    I didn't like having to climb into the bed to secure a bike, so I made mine with front wheel near the tailgate.
    Not sure if your Tundra bed would be long enough or have the slot in the side rails to make this work but here's a few pix of mine. Ford F150 6.5ft bed

gnewcomer aka OldMtnGoat
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails show your DIY truck bed bike racks-resize-p1050453.jpg  

show your DIY truck bed bike racks-resize-p1050456.jpg  

show your DIY truck bed bike racks-resize-p1050455.jpg  

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by gnewcomer View Post
    I didn't like having to climb into the bed to secure a bike, so I made mine with front wheel near the tailgate.
    Not sure if your Tundra bed would be long enough or have the slot in the side rails to make this work but here's a few pix of mine. Ford F150 6.5ft bed

gnewcomer aka OldMtnGoat
    thats great. where did you get the quick release hardware and brackets?

this is what i threw together after 7 or 8 beers with what i had in the shed.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    thats great. where did you get the quick release hardware and brackets?
    I'm pretty sure I got both of them at Price Point or Jenson. Just google "Quick Release Fork Mount" for best prices. I found my second set for less than 10 bucks on a clearance deal.

The 20mm Filzer Fork Adapter, I found on Amazon

gewcomer aka OldMtnGoat

gran jefe
    Nov 2011

mtbr member

I need to find a better shot but it is a pair of modified old womens road bike frames tied together with a pipe and bed bar(the threaded kind with plates at the ends) through the bottom bracket shells. Adjustable width, perfect hold on mtb tires and only needed bungee at the other end. I would still have it installed if I had a truck. It was the most convenient rack design I have yet seen, especially if you have a 6 ft bed.

mtbr member
    I did a search of the "Cars and Bikes" thread and found the plans for a stand-up rack made out of PVC. After modifying the plans for 2 bikes (the plans were for 3) and changing the dimensions to fit my Chevy S-10, all it took was $20 worth of PVC pipe and about two hours, and the result looks like this. All I have to do now is paint it flat black and I'm good to go!

I thought about doing the 2x4/axle mount thing, but the idea of having to take the front wheel off of my bike every time I want to use it didn't appeal to me. Neither did the idea of the loose wheel sliding around in the bed of my truck, and after being on the trails I sure ain't putting it in the cab!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails show your DIY truck bed bike racks-2012-12-23_17-16-02_392.jpg  

mtbr member
    I have 2 words for you: Ratchet straps. Think of a motorcycle on a trailer.

Prime
    Just a piece of lumber with the 3 fork mounts, I bent up some shelf brackets to hang over the front of the box, tied it down with a couple of cheap turn buckles.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails show your DIY truck bed bike racks-dscn3771.jpg  

Prime
    Slick and simple, gnewcomer.

mtbr member
    Is that your reflection in the rear window? looks like a Men's Health ad

Prime
    Quote Originally Posted by GR1822 View Post
    Is that your reflection in the rear window? looks like a Men's Health ad
    LOL, never noticed that before. Yeah, that's me, 3 years less ice cream ago.

conjoinicorned
    Quote Originally Posted by Traveller584 View Post
    I did a search of the "Cars and Bikes" thread and found the plans for a stand-up rack made out of PVC. After modifying the plans for 2 bikes (the plans were for 3) and changing the dimensions to fit my Chevy S-10, all it took was $20 worth of PVC pipe and about two hours, and the result looks like this. All I have to do now is paint it flat black and I'm good to go!

I thought about doing the 2x4/axle mount thing, but the idea of having to take the front wheel off of my bike every time I want to use it didn't appeal to me. Neither did the idea of the loose wheel sliding around in the bed of my truck, and after being on the trails I sure ain't putting it in the cab!
    You'll want to find a way to strap the bikes in the middle as well. I've been using a version of the PVC rack for a year on some 4x4 only terrain (and some very long highway trips)...works great but the bikes will tilt and crack the PVC. A single strap over the seat (or handlebar depending on rear wheel or front wheel in the rack) keeps everything solid as heck and the rack going strong
    what would rainbow unicorn do?

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    I use the bed extender as a bike rack in my tundra. I wrapped plumbing foam around the bars and duct taped them on to provide cushion. I use a small strap to secure the toptube to the extender and then a locking ratchet strap to secure the bike to the bed. It can hold 4 bikes.

I really dislike the ones that require removing a wheel. The great thing about this is you dont need to climb into the bed, just lift the bike over. it also leaves the rest of the bed available. I also use the bed extender for all the other things you use an extender for.

bike in truck

mtbr member
    I have 2 words for you: Ratchet straps. Think of a motorcycle on a trailer.
    Having been a biker since 1978, I've hauled more than my fair share of motorcycles in pickup trucks, and I'm here to tell you that unless you have a kickstand on your bike - whatever kind of bike it is, motor or none - strapping in a bike is a two-man operation. With a stand-up rack like this, it's a one-man job to get the bike in the truck and secured. And as you can see, I'm also using the rack in my garage to keep the bikes in when they're not being used, so I killed two birds with one stone. But thanks for the suggestion anyway!

Quote Originally Posted by ferday View Post
    You'll want to find a way to strap the bikes in the middle as well. I've been using a version of the PVC rack for a year on some 4x4 only terrain (and some very long highway trips)...works great but the bikes will tilt and crack the PVC. A single strap over the seat (or handlebar depending on rear wheel or front wheel in the rack) keeps everything solid as heck and the rack going strong
    Had that thought already, and I absolutely plan to do just as you suggest! Thanks for the input!

mtbr member
    Having been a biker since 1978, I've hauled more than my fair share of motorcycles in pickup trucks, and I'm here to tell you that unless you have a kickstand on your bike - whatever kind of bike it is, motor or none - strapping in a bike is a two-man operation. With a stand-up rack like this, it's a one-man job to get the bike in the truck and secured. And as you can see, I'm also using the rack in my garage to keep the bikes in when they're not being used, so I killed two birds with one stone. But thanks for the suggestion anyway!
    Huh. My buddy who I ride with all of the time uses straps for his Mt bike and hasn't had a problem in the 3 plus years he's been doing it by himself.
    It's really not that tough.

Your Best Friend
    I've got three fork mounts installed down each bed rail. Yes, I had to drill through the truck but it's my truck right now so I don't care what other people think about future re-sale. Having them on the side like this makes it very easy to install each bike. I never have to climb into the bed. Because the bed is long enough, I still have room near the bed gate for gear. This is all very handy for my guide business. It ended up being pretty cheap for all the basic mounts, it's all the different fork adapters that get expensive.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails show your DIY truck bed bike racks-1356635674012.jpg  

I guide and rent bikes in Northern Utah

http://www.facebook.com/AdventureEarthRides

Its got what plants crave
    I just throw my front wheel over the tailgate and put a piece of old carpet or my floor mat between the down tube and the tailgate. I don't mind just laying it on it's side either though.
    Ocala Mountain Bike Association - www.omba.org

It's about showing up.
    The blocks are mounted directly to the front of the bed.

This held 2 bikes facing front in a Tacoma Quad Cab bed which is small. A third bike fits nicely between the two with a block on a 2x4 on the bed floor. Very tidy and inexpensive.

I found the flat metal wrench at a flea market and bent it to do the job. I greased the holes I drilled and 10 years later there was no rust. The skewers need to kept greased against the weather. I used a long 3/8 cable through the triangle/rear wheels and the separated front wheels. The lock went through the cable loop ends and attached to the closed cletes in the truck bed. I still never let this out of my site when loaded; ever.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails show your DIY truck bed bike racks-mount0081e.jpg  

Attached Images Attached Images
    I don't rattle.

mtbr member
    ^^^nice and clean^^^

mtbr member
    If you have a toolbox this is really easy to do. Took more time picking out bolts than installation. I need to add one more cleat for the driver side, just havent ordered it yet.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I did the same for my Tacoma. Used some elevator bolts with sides cut to make flats to slide in the bed rail channel to bolt it in.
    I used the black textured spray paint for plastics. It has held up with just a few scratches and rub marks for 3 years now.

mtbr member
    Huh. My buddy who I ride with all of the time uses straps for his Mt bike and hasn't had a problem in the 3 plus years he's been doing it by himself.
    It's really not that tough.
    If it works for him, great. It didn't work for me.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast