mtbr member
    Apr 2012

Should I upgrade my old bike or just sell it for a newer one?

I currently have a 2004 Norco Fluid One. It has three issues; the rear brake needs to have the brake lever almost completely compressed to engage, the front fork doesn't work very well, and the rear shock is not working the best either.

I think the front and rear suspension both need to replaced just because I bet they haven't been torn down in years. The brake worked great until the bike shop replaced the pads and now it's junk, they told me it's the brakes fault and I need a new one (avid elixir 3). The fork is Marzzochi and the rear shock is Manitou, if I replaced either I would want to go with Fox or any brand that is easier to use than what I have.

So my question is, if I'm on a budget of about $300, should I just sell my bike and try to use the funds to buy something nicer, or should I keep the bike and try to replace the parts somehow very cheaply?

I really like the bike because it is so durable and everything else is great except for maybe the weight of the bike. However if I can get around $500 to $700 for it should I just do that and try to get something in the $800 to $1,000 range?

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    I'd say you are dreaming - you aren't going to replace brakes and front and rear suspension for $300 and you are not going to buy a decent f/s bike for 800 to a 1000.

Ride Instigator
    Well, You can get a good FORK in that $800-$1,000 range...

Magically Delicious
    Quote Originally Posted by Central Cal Rider View Post
    I think the front and rear suspension both need to replaced just because I bet they haven't been torn down in years. The brake worked great until the bike shop replaced the pads and now it's junk.
    So, you've failed to maintain your ride and the suspension needs to be replaced because of that.

The brakes are junk because of new pads?

And, you have a budget of $300?

Nuff said.
    A bad day of cycling is better than a good day at work

Work Truck - Dassault Falcon 7X

mtbr member
    sounds like you need to take it back to the bike shop if they did something wrong while replacing the brake pads. if that is all it needs, it might be worth it to have the suspension rebuilt instead of replacing it.

Magically Delicious
    Look at this as a great way to learn some new stuff by rebuilding the suspension yourself (forks and rear shock). Perhaps solicit someone with tools (if you don't have what you need) to assist and tackle the job (suggest to buy them beer or dinner...it cheaper than a replacement). Suspension maintenance is not that difficult and something that needs ongoing care.

You might not even need to replace the seals unless it's leaking. That makes this really easy. Just fluid replacement.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Nobody is going to pay $500 to $700 for an 11 year old broken bike. Would you?

Your bike is 11 years old. I would fix the brakes myself, live with the shocks for a while and then I would find a way to make $2500 and buy a new bike.

I really think 10 years for a bike is like 100000 miles for a car. Sure you can nurse it along and keep it but it's best days are behind it.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Sounds like my best bet is to just fix what I have. I'll take my brakes to someone new since the bike shop broke the brakes and haven't been able to repair them the two times I brought it back because of the issue.

The fork leaks a little bit of air but takes about a year before it needs to be pumped up. It works well enough but would changing the fork oil and seals be good bang for my buck? I don't think anything inside is broken yet and the only issue is the leaking of air as I mentioned.

The rear shock needs to be pumped up about once a week and I honestly just hate it. Would putting new seals and oil do anything to stop the leaking of air? The main issue is that it has a SPV attached to it that needs to be pumped to its maximum to function decently, so I imagine that something is broken (it was like this when I bought it so I'm not sure). I'm tempted to just throw it away and use my budget for a new rear shock. Although if changing oil and seals somehow fixes it I would definitely rather do that.

Just a little bit of information

Forks: 2004 Marzocchi Freeride SL Z1
    Shock: Manitou Swinger 4 way, I believe between 2004 and 2006, not stock.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    If you need to put a little bit of air in the front fork once a year consider yourself lucky and keep riding it. However your rear shock needs a rebuild. For less money and a little shopping around you could get a newer model used Fox. Just test it first in a bucket of water for leaks.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I'll repeat what was already said. No way you're going to get $500-$700 for that bike. The bike was clearly neglected and any real bike fanatic is going to spot that immediately. Let us not forget the age of that frame as well. I would fix it up best you can and sell it for as much as you can. It is new bike time.

Magically Delicious
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael_L View Post
    However your rear shock needs a rebuild. Just test it first in a bucket of water for leaks.
    Like an inner tube huh?

Funny