Abby Design & Constructio
    Feb 2012

Should I trade my bike?

I have a 2006 Trek Fuel 70 that I was gonna use for xc racing in the spring but someone offered me to trade for a 2011 Trek Marlin 29er. I was wondering if the Trek marlin would be a worthy trade for my Fuel. My fuel is in used condition but nothing is really wrong with it. I just want to know if it would be a good trade or not. Reply with any questions about the bikes or the riding I do.

Thanks

AZ
    banned
    Its only a good trade if you think it is.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bikesrock View Post
    I have a 2006 Trek Fuel 70 that I was gonna use for xc racing in the spring but someone offered me to trade for a 2011 Trek Marlin 29er. I was wondering if the Trek marlin would be a worthy trade for my Fuel. My fuel is in used condition but nothing is really wrong with it. I just want to know if it would be a good trade or not. Reply with any questions about the bikes or the riding I do.

Thanks
    1. Tell us the top three things you like about your fuel
    2. Tell us the top three things you dont like about your fuel

From there we can internet gossip if the top 3 likes/dislikes can be carried over or fixed with the marlin.

If you respond in the next 10 minutes AZ MTNS will make a pie chart as well.

Feb 2012
    Things I like
    1. It is full suspension
    2. I like the playfulness of it
    3. I can sit down more when going down. (I am 5'7'' and 115lbs if that helps)
    Things I don't like
    1. It is heavy
    2. The suspension
    3. The frame design

AZ
    banned
    Did someone say "pie"?

I build my own.
    I see exactly 10 minutes between post #3 and post #4. Did he make it in time?

BTW, I traded a 2007 Norco six one for a 2010 GF Mamba. For me it was a great trade.
    I have a device that can access the total knowledge of man. I use it to look at pictures of cats and argue with strangers.

mtbr member
    Things I like
    1. It is full suspension
    2. I like the playfulness of it
    3. I can sit down more when going down. (I am 5'7'' and 115lbs if that helps)
    Things I don't like
    1. It is heavy
    2. The suspension
    3. The frame design

OK, so you like and dislike the suspension - so thats a wash.

You like the playfulness, but dislike the weight - With the 29er I think you will lose the playful feel that you enjoy, but it will be a bit lighter then your current fuel. - still a bit even.

With the fuel you will for sure be able to sit down more when descending then on the HT 29er. Advantage Fuel.

You dislike the frame design of the trek - are we talking purely how it looks? If so I would rather have a bike that looks ugly but feels fun when riding - I get way more enjoyment riding the bike then sitting looking at it.

my final $.02 is it looks like you may be slightly better off staying with your Fuel - perhaps do a bit of upgrades to it to shed a bit of its weight - then you would increase the fuel happiness

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Trail Ninja View Post
    I see exactly 10 minutes between post #3 and post #4. Did he make it in time?

BTW, I traded a 2007 Norco six one for a 2010 GF Mamba. For me it was a great trade.
    Ya, AZ is currently working on the pie chart

Feb 2012
    I don't even know what a pie chart is. Haha

Sweat is just fat crying.
    Quote Originally Posted by 006_007 View Post
    If you respond in the next 10 minutes AZ MTNS will make a pie chart as well.
    Mountain Biking Is Not A Crime stickers, free! (You pay postage. PM me for details.)

Sweat is just fat crying.
    I don't even know what a pie chart is. Haha

Mountain Biking Is Not A Crime stickers, free! (You pay postage. PM me for details.)

FKA Malibu412
    Kinda depends on your comfort with whatever type of riding you will be doing most. Here you say that you ride mostly AM for which the Fuel is more closely suited although it is more of a racing FS. You also mention that you just traded a 29er HT for the Fuel so you have a fresh memory of what an HT is like.

Need advice

If you are planning on a more XC and race oriented ride, the HT might be the best choice.

At 5'7" 115, are you a female or an anorexic dude?

Seems you are trying to find your biking self.
    Everything that kills me, makes me feel alive

mtbr member
    I don't think a Trek Merlin will be lighter.
    I'd stick with the Fuel if it's in good shape.
    Happy Trails
    Jolly

Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by jollybeggar View Post
    I don't think a Trek Merlin will be lighter.
    I'd stick with the Fuel if it's in good shape.
    That's part of why I am trading it because it is so old I am afraid I am going to crack my frame and the frame bushings are going bad.

Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Malibu412 View Post
    Kinda depends on your comfort with whatever type of riding you will be doing most. Here you say that you ride mostly AM for which the Fuel is more closely suited although it is more of a racing FS. You also mention that you just traded a 29er HT for the Fuel so you have a fresh memory of what an HT is like.

Need advice

If you are planning on a more XC and race oriented ride, the HT might be the best choice.

At 5'7" 115, are you a female or an anorexic dude?

Seems you are trying to find your biking self.
    I do enjoy to trail ride but I like xc just as much and I am xc racing in the spring so I was wondering if I would be more comfortable. I did have a 29er and I liked it but I really had an urge to ride down more then up so I figured a 26er full suspension would work better. I now have more of the urge of xc and want to switch back. I think I am going to go with the 29er but I am going to look at it and replace parts as they screw over. I will se what feels better and check the parts out so I don't dump a whole bunch of money into something that I could have just bought a whole better bike for less. I will check back in Saturday and tell you what I did. Any other opinions are welcome. Also is there anyone that trail rides with a 29er hardtail?

Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Finch Platte View Post
    Haha "Pie that we did not eat."

Feb 2012
    Well I am meeting with him tomorrow so stay tuned to see what happens. I think if I do trade it I will swap out some parts off my Fuel like the seat, handlebars, and stem.