mtbr member
    Sep 2014

Should i Machine my own DERAILLEUR HANGER?

So i purchased a used 2010 Kona stinky six. thought it was a great deal but it seems like it was beaten up pretty bad ( the parts list keeps adding up). the next item i need to buy is a new D. Hanger since its warped up bad. i straightened it in a vice the best i can but the slight twist on it still, causes it to skip teeth on the smallest 2 sprockets when under average torque.

so i looked around and found the specific hanger that i need.....

seemed like the average hanger price was 30-40$.... not too bad..... then i found mine.... $80-$120...... 2-3x the price. this being said i can purchase a block of titanium for about $ 45-$60 or get very high grade Al and still pay about half the price.. i would 3D model it on my computer and either machine it by hand or give it to a machine shop student and have em CNC it for me ( im a student at a Engineering Tech college.. ie lots of tools and machines to play with )

this being said. my question is should i machine the part myself and save half the cost, or should i pay the full price?

Or maybe im just miss informed about the hanger.

here are the links i found

Derailleur Hanger #252

Thanks for the help guys

mtbr member
    maybe contact kona direct and see if you can get better price.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    couldnt find a real number to contact them. kept finding bike shop dealers.

ill look more in the AM

mtbr member

Should i Machine my own DERAILLEUR HANGER?

What is your time worth?
    By your numbers, there is potentially only a $20 difference between the titanium block and the manufactured drop out. I would guess that your time is worth more than that.
    Its all Shits and Giggles until somebody Giggles and Shits

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Ok well.. First of all, don't make if stronger than the frame.. Otherwise when you crash you'll break the frame or derailleur. The problem is that you have a specialty hanger. It's gonna cost you. If you could cnc it for free I'd make a few and sell them to offset the time and cost.

Sent from my 831C using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Best you to find with your bike dealer shop. They can suggest you cheapest on for you. All the best!

As far as derailleur hangers go, that's a pretty complicated one.

If you have good specs and can machine and anodize one for cheap, then have at it. Better make sure it's exactly right, or your bike won't shift right.

As for me, I'd suck it up and buy a couple. Sometimes you might go a long time without tweaking your hanger. Other times, you're bending them up almost weekly. I always like to have a spare or two sitting around just in case.

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    tough call. you need to make it from sh*t metal so it busts before the der or dropout, but need to make it tough enough to not fail with bumps or tree scrapes...

have at it though, it's not rocket science but there is a sweet spot in hardness you need to meet, and it must be machined to 1000ths tolerances or shifting will stink everywhere

Professional Crastinator
    Geez, that is one complicated der. hanger.

I can tell you from experience that if you cannot accurately measure all the important features on the hanger you already have (yes, the bent one), your new home made one will be just as bad as your old bent one. I would thread a bolt into the der. hole to keep the hole in shape, and bend it around until it works again. THAT would be the time to measure it, but of course, then you'd no longer need a new one. You'd be ready for when you did, though.

-F
    It's never easier - you just go faster.

MTC rep for LPCPCAC
    A derailleur hanger is designed to break. Yes it sucks yours costs 2-3Xs the competition but suck it up and buy the one specifically made for your bike from the Kona direct or dig deep into the net. First site that Google came up with....

Hanger #25 Kona Stinky Series 1999-2011 - $22

I have found them for my Blur carbon for under $20 where they can cost $40 from the manufacturer. They fit work and provide all the same benefits as the EOMs.

Most people will break a hanger but it is not very frequently. You probably spent $50+ for each of the tires you ride on. They wear out far more quickly than the hanger. There is $100 buck that you probably don't even flinch at replacing when the time comes.

CNC works but like the others said it has to be weaker than the frame, perfectly straight (your model is bent and a bad example), and take the cost ($/hours labor) into account. It is hard to believe you come out ahead.

How about this - you drop the $22 on the hanger and if it doesn't work, they knock your self out with the home brew. I am betting it works just fine.
    Apathy will get you exactly what you deserve

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    just do it. you have the machine shop, so grab a hunk o billet and clone your busted one