mtbr member
    Apr 2012

Should I buy this 2008 Specialized Stumpjumper Elite for $800? Lots of pictures!

I found a stock 2008 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Elite that looks to be in 9/10 condition. However this is only through pictures and you never know until you see it in person I guess. I managed to talk the guy down to $800 which is somewhat good it seems looking at bicycle blue book.

Do you think this is a good deal? Does this bike look as pristine as I think it is? I have to drive an hour there just to look at it so opinions are greatly appreciated! Also the price is a firm $800, I'm pretty sure if I offer him $795 when I'm there he will tell me to drive home, so no hope on a lower price.

Here's a link to bikepedia for the specs and bicycle blue book for the price.

2008 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Elite - BikePedia

2008 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Elite - New and Used Bike Value
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Should I buy this 2008 Specialized Stumpjumper Elite for 0? Lots of pictures!-main.jpg  

Should I buy this 2008 Specialized Stumpjumper Elite for 0? Lots of pictures!-capture7.jpg  

Should I buy this 2008 Specialized Stumpjumper Elite for 0? Lots of pictures!-capture5.jpg  

Should I buy this 2008 Specialized Stumpjumper Elite for 0? Lots of pictures!-capture3.jpg  

Should I buy this 2008 Specialized Stumpjumper Elite for 0? Lots of pictures!-capture1.jpg  

Attached Images Attached Images      

mtbr member
    Looks pretty clean to me. What do you plan to do with it, what kind of riding? Looks like the current owner used it to take the kids around the block. Hardly a scratch on it anywhere.

I'd say price comes down to what you are comfortable paying.

ben

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by armourbl View Post
    Looks pretty clean to me. What do you plan to do with it, what kind of riding? Looks like the current owner used it to take the kids around the block. Hardly a scratch on it anywhere.

I'd say price comes down to what you are comfortable paying.

ben
    I'm looking to do XC on some somewhat rough trails (roots, rocks, etc). The bike will hardly ever leave the ground and if it does it won't be more than 3 feet.

mtbr member
    I would check and see if replacement bushings/ rear suspension moving parts are still available.
    Has the fork ever been serviced?
    Rear shock ever serviced?
    do they both hold air?
    Brake fluids ever flushed?
    Otherwise, looks like a garage queen that has never seen the trail! Especially with that 10 gallon seatbag.
    Bring your shoes and a shock pump and jump it off some curbs and stuff.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by SeaBass_ View Post
    I would check and see if replacement bushings/ rear suspension moving parts are still available.
    Has the fork ever been serviced?
    Rear shock ever serviced?
    do they both hold air?
    Brake fluids ever flushed?
    Otherwise, looks like a garage queen that has never seen the trail! Especially with that 10 gallon seatbag.
    Bring your shoes and a shock pump and jump it off some curbs and stuff.
    Unfortunately the guy who is selling it bought it from the original owner and seems to be trying to flip it, and he pretty much knows nothing about the bike. And he doesn't seem too fond of questions, just has the attitude of "it's like new, what more do you want?". He did say the guy he purchased it from did service the suspension, but who knows if that's true.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Central Cal Rider View Post
    Unfortunately the guy who is selling it bought it from the original owner and seems to be trying to flip it, and he pretty much knows nothing about the bike. And he doesn't seem too fond of questions, just has the attitude of "it's like new, what more do you want?". He did say the guy he purchased it from did service the suspension, but who knows if that's true.
    And it's your money, so he should expect questions. If not, move on. There are plenty of fish in the sea, as it were. It does certainly look to be in superb condition based on the pics.
    We all belong in the Saturdays of our youth...

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Don't get hung up in a bike like this that is so old. It is a clean looking bike, no doubt, but there are soooo many stumpjumpers out there, no need to fixate on this one and chase it.

If he won't cooperate and you have issues with the bike, move on.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    I ended up purchasing the bike, while I do agree that an uncooperative seller is a pain, the way I viewed it was that the previous seller was probably a great guy and took good care of it, and this was just the pain in the a** middle man who flips bikes I had to deal with.

So here's the deal, the front brake needs to be bled because I can pull it waaaay too far in before it starts working. The fork and rear shock are both leaking a little but functionally they are both awesome.

However this bike looks and feels amazing, I looked at a 2014 Carve the other day in the store that was new and it felt like it was more beat up than this bike from people test riding it in the parking lot.

I checked the pivots for play but I didn't feel anything, but I didn't take the wheels off to check, just tried pulling on the swingarm and frame while on the ground. Also although the fork and shock are leaking oil, I'm pretty sure the seals have just deteriorated over time, I don't think the suspension has seen much action at all. I mean, there is barely any nicks on the bike from riding! Also, the sellers garage had a couple mountain bikes laying around, they all looked brand new, it seems like he seeks out bikes that have been "garage queens" and just resells them.

I think I did pretty well for $800, but I'm not totally sure. My to do list is; fork oil/seal, shock oil/seal, rear brake pads, bleed front brake. I'm planning to do all the work myself except bleeding the brake. Then it should be ready to go.

Sweat is just fat crying.
    Good luck, hope it works out for you.

since 4/10/2009
    This sounds like a stolen bike scenario to me. It may well have been a garage queen. But a legitimate seller should expect questions and be honest about things he's not sure about.

I didn't do it
    Yeah, sounds stolen to me.
    Let's eat Ted
    Let's eat, Ted
    Remember, commas save lives

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    I checked the serial number online and I checked for stolen bikes matching this description and found nothing, so I don't think it's stolen.

Pro Crastinator
    seals are a cheap and easy fix that do not require a rocket science background, plenty of videos to be found online...

as far as the legitimacy of the bike, you bought it with 100% honest intentions regardless of the seller whom you know zero about. you have nothing to worry about karma wise in my opinion. i say you got a great deal and ride it with a smile...

besides, my dad has a similar bike and if you asked him a few questions, he could tell you the color and that the suspension goes up and down. beyond that he couldn't give a crap less and wouldn't be able to tell you a thing either...

since 4/10/2009
    I checked the serial number online and I checked for stolen bikes matching this description and found nothing, so I don't think it's stolen.
    That's about all you can do, really. At least you did your end of the legwork there.

Lots of bike owners never report their bike stolen, believe it or not. An organization I belong to runs a stolen bike registry that mates up with one of the national stolen bike registry sites. I've done some work with getting the word out about it, and it's surprising how few people report their bikes as stolen with the police, as pawn shops in my state are required to check.

More than that, for me, is the vibe the seller gives.