mtbr member
    Sep 2007

should I bring my Bianchi WUSS to college?

hey guys,

i got my Bianchi WUSS single speed bike last summer. i took it to my local trails nearly every day, but when i left for college in september, the bike stayed home. currently, i am using an old trek hardtail for transportation, but its very small and i miss the bianchi.

would it be a wise idea to take the bike to school with me for everyday transportation? the university is very safe, you can insure it against theft for a very good price, and i have a very nice lock to keep the bike safe anyway.

i'm mostly worried about how the weather would affect the bike.

thanks in advance

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    also, i feel pretty crummy that the bike is sitting in my garage getting absolutely no use at all when i'm at school.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    I work on a college campus and the only advice I can give is don't use cable or chain locks as the primary means of securing your bike.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    what other means are there?
    __ o
    _< \_
    (_)>(_) .

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by aKore
    what other means are there?
    A good u-lock or be prepared to walk. We find cut cable and chain locks all day long.

The Martian
    Jan 2007
    What's the college's policy on bikes in the dorms? I was able to keep my bike inside (in my room) throughout college, and used two solid locks (U-lock through frame and rear wheel, cable lock through frame rear and front wheels) when I rode it to class. Never had any issues.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Bring it for sure! Just check the University policies.

Fisher Fan
    Sep 2008
    Put more locks when you park the bike, and put it in an open area where there are lotsa people. There will always be a certain degree of risk involved as always, its up to you if its worth that risk.

Fall Down...Go Boom
    Sep 2008
    Before you spend anything extra to insure the bike ask your parents (I'm making an assumption about that since you said the bike stayed "home") to check their homeowners insurance and how it applies to you while you are away at school. When I left home to stay in the dorms my dad discovered that their homeowners policy covered my personal belonging in the event of fire/theft while I was living in the dorm. Just something to look into.

mtbr member
    I was surprised to find that my homeowner's insurance covers bike theft. OTOH, I have a big deductable, so it's largely a moot point. So check your parent's insurance, but also ask about their deductable.

Edit: I just looked at a photo of the WUSS. Very nice bike. I would not wanting to be leaving it outdoors in the rain and snow and such. Just MHO, so +1 on the idea of maybe keeping it in your dorm room.

mtbr member
    I wouldn't worry about one particular model being more attractive to thieves.

However I think the first and most important rule is not to leave your bike out for longer than 2 hours.

Any lock (yes any lock) can be broken. If you choose to leave your bike in front of the chem building over the weekend, don't be surprised to see it gone.

Universities are also prime spots for bike theft. Kids are not as careful because they think it is safe. Frankly, I rather lock it in the hood because a bike thief is more likely to get shot by a gangbanger.

Finally, I hope you have a Kryptonite Evo Mini or a NY Lock. Anything less than that is vulnerable.

Cheezy Rider
    Keep your beater and use it for riding on campus. Keep the Wuss in your room and only ride it on trails. I work at a college in a very "safe" town, and bike theft is a huge problem here.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    hey guys thanks for all the advice. my parents' insurance does cover the bike. however, i don't think i'll be taking it outside my dorm for daily riding after today (unless its joyriding on trails/around the campus).

i have a kryptonite u-lock and discovered some attempted cut marks on it after the bike's first day out on the campus. there are two one centimeter gashes on the lock from what appears to be some sort of chain cutter.

i don't think its worth risking since the bike is my pride and joy. on the side note i've been saving up for a new wheelset for quite some time . i'm going to go tubeless. any recommendations?

You down with entropy?
    Even if the college does not specifically allow bikes in the dorm room, I would think it would be more up to your roommate(s) and you. At one point I had 2 bikes in our dorm room with 2 roommates in a small 3 person room. One bike was upside down over my desk with the seat on a dresser and the front wheel on a hook. The other was on my bed when I was not there, while I was sleeping it was in front of my desk and dresser. So completely out of their way.

I asked first and all was well.

in the long run I did sell my older bike to help pay for upgrades on the new bike.

edit. sheesh theft attempt on day 1

Cheezy Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by rjsbass
    h

i have a kryptonite u-lock and discovered some attempted cut marks on it after the bike's first day out on the campus. there are two one centimeter gashes on the lock from what appears to be some sort of chain cutter.
    That didn't take long! You got lucky.

metrotuned WoS
    You are VERY lucky the theif(s) got scared / frustrated. As with any awesome bike, keep your eyes on it, that is, they dont even get locked, they are within an eyeballs glares distance at all times. Lock ups are for beaters.
    #willofthesun and author of the most viewed MTBR thread: Platform Pedal Shootout

mtbr member
    good to hear you got lucky!

Exactly why I bought my Krypto New York Ulock. It's security is worth the 10lbs it is in my backpack lol