Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Shoud I B***H ?

mtbr member
    Jun 2011

Shoud I B***H ?

I got a new pair of tubeless tires. I took my wheels to a bike shop that has disappointed me in the past. It is about 10 min away. My usual shop is about an hour away. I thought, who can screw up a tire mounting? First off I forgot one valve stem. When I get there I asked them if they had one or should I bring mine in. No no we have one. So I tell them I will be back in a week. One week later I call and get the "we are working on them right now. come on down" ."Can you bring a valve stem?". No call saying they need the valve stem, which they assured me they would do. I get there and they say it will be awhile. I go to run errands and come back 1 1\2 hours later. They cant get the front mounted. The mechanic says my rim is the problem, the guy at the counter tells me I need a new tire. The tire is brand new. I get pi##ed and leave. They didnt start until I called, no valve stem,no call, no clue.

Go to my usual shop, the mechanic looks at the wheel and says this needs retaped. I suspected as much but wasnt sure. First glance he says this. The other shop never said anything about a retape. He puts on the tire and call me the next day. I cant get out there so I am going to go in a few days.Shop calls the next day and tells me the tire blew off the rim because the bead is broken. He has done tubeless before, for me, I still have no problems with them. He knows what is up and always does a GREAT job. (Matt -Sarasota Cycles) .

Do you think the first shop ruined my tire(broken bead)? Should I call and complain? The tires are Schwalbe Rocket Rons so they arent cheap.The tires were brand new in the package. What should I do? The first guys were both telling me something different, they had no clue.Well respected bike shop, too. This is the third time they tried to overcharge me or acted clueless. Guess I am a slow learner.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    DIY. With the amount of time you spent waiting, it would have been done on day 1

Quote Originally Posted by sbarnhart View Post
    ...I thought, who can screw up a tire mounting? .......
    Says the guy who brought in bicycle tires to be mounted

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    I dont have a compressor and I never taped a wheel before. I just was tryng to be lazy I guess. I didnt want to screw up the wheels either(bent bead or something stupid). I had a problem last time and got kind of frustrated with my other wheels.

mtbr member
    May 2014
    If the person working at the first shop is the owner, save your breath. If it is not the owner, give the owner the chance to make it right and improve in the future.

If no response, view the lost tire as a lesson on saving time. If you personally can't do it right, you now know help is an hour away and the shortcut has been removed.

Sorry for the expensive lesson, it could have been your rim!

Just my opinion.
    HBSURFDAD
    2014 Stumpjumper FSR 29er evo. XXL.

> /dev/null 2&>1

Re: Shoud I B***H ?

Why would you drive 10 min x 2 to pay someone to do a task that would take you no longer than 15 min?

Gas stations have compressors. Often even a floor pump works.

Why would you expect good service from a shop that you didn't buy the parts from?

"Hey, I know you're just getting by paying these expensive retail rents, and paying your mechanics a decent salary, but I found these online and OMG I got A DEAL! Can you install them for me? Cuz for some reason you're the only shop around here now. "

mtbr member
    it sounds like that first bike shop screwed you. they should have done it right, or concluded that it could not be done with your rim/tire combo, or found the right components to make it work. converting a tire and tube to a tubeless set up is not rocket science, but it does take an actual understanding of what works, how it works, and why it doesn't when it doesn't. if the dunderheads at the first bike shop could not figure it out, they have no business working on bikes and they owe you one.

mtbr member
    I will give them that installing "tubeless" Schwalbe tires is a *****! I have tried setting up customers' Rocket Rons and Racing Ralphs tubeless, even the ones that are labeled tubeless, and it takes a long time to get them to seal up. the problem is never that the bead will not seat, but that the sidewalls weep fluid forever and you have to inflate them over and over, my Continental, Maxxis, and On-One tires have never needed an air compressor to seat up, but it seems that Schwalbe tires take a lot of wrestling and inflating over and over to get them to seal.

it pisses me off that I left the working at a bicycle shop for peanuts and satisfaction to learn that these jokers are still employed in the field.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I suggest learning or at least giving it a try. Some planning will let you try and still get help if needed.

I've only done this with Schwalbe and Maxxis tires but have always been able to do it with hand pump if careful. Have someone help you for a moment where they can help squeeze to make pressure and seal as you pump. Do that squeeze part after working the tire into shape with your hands and fingers.

Spare the griping (you said B***H) for sanity and time management. Put that energy and thought toward what I just tried to describe. The right timing will get some sealing and you should be able to pump up the tires.

Good luck.

mtbr member
    I took my wheels to a bike shop that has disappointed me in the past.
    This pretty much sums it up.
    Quote Originally Posted by Psycle151 View Post
    Friggin' coward. Give me a red chiclet instead of debating like a man. You don't deserve your green blocks.

mtbr member
    If they damaged the tire, they should pay for it, but you need to identify that kind of issue before leaving the store. Anytmie anyone has ever told me something is broke or can't be used, I inspect the crap out of it before I step out that door. At this point, they can say you damaged the tire after leaving, so you're eating this one.
    I will suffer no butt-hurt fools!

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    i didnt realize that a bike shop was supposed to break your stuff if you didnt buy it there. Maybe, just maybe they dont carry what I wanted. Since they were charging me LABOR costs it seems like they were still making money.I have bought stuff there in the past.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Thanks for your replies. I will probably call today, but I am not expecting any help from the shop on this.I guess they got me. I tried with my last set of schwalbes. It was really frustrating. Next time I will just fight them more.

mtbr member
    next time dont go there. Find another good reason to go to the area where the 1hr away shop is and make an afternoon out of it.

mtbr member
    It may have been a defective tire. If its brand new with packaging then I'd return to to where you bought it from. I also wouldn't but tires online and then take them to a shop to install them either do it yourself or buy the tires from the LBS.

> /dev/null 2&>1

Maybe, just maybe they dont carry what I wanted.
    All your local shop's parts come from BTI or QBP just like everyone else's.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying don't buy online. But when I buy online, I install myself.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Procter View Post
    All your local shop's parts come from BTI or QBP just like everyone else's.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying don't buy online. But when I buy online, I install myself.
    I was going to do just that, but I got nervous about screwing something up. My other wheels are Bontrager RXL and they have built in rim strips. The tape thing is new. Didnt want to waste money,material, and get mad then have someone else do it.
    I will do it myself next time if it takes a week.

The White Jeff W
    Google Gorilla tape tubeless. Its very easy.
    No moss...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Procter View Post
    Why would you expect good service from a shop that you didn't buy the parts from?
    I'm sorry but... REALLY?!

Expecting a handout or some sort of "bro-deal" is one thing. But expecting good service shouldn't be out of bounds for a shop even if you've never been there... I assume he was paying them to put the tires on so why exactly shouldn't he expect good service again?

derp
    Quote Originally Posted by 7daysaweek View Post
    I'm sorry but... REALLY?!

Expecting a handout or some sort of "bro-deal" is one thing. But expecting good service shouldn't be out of bounds for a shop even if you've never been there... I assume he was paying them to put the tires on so why exactly shouldn't he expect good service again?
    ^^

This. When i first bought my bike i already had quite a few material laying around, i asked them if they would put the stuff on the bike or them coming from somewhere else was a problem, not only did they put everything on the bike but they even did it for free ! Needless to say, they are my "exclusive" LBS and i now have a good enough relationship with them to see stuff that i want, not having the money on hand and they always let me take the stuff home and pay for them later on.

Of course nowadays if i buy something online i will install it myself but everything else ( suspension/shock maintenance ) and things that i need and can't wait it's always them.
    2006 Cannondale Rush 650b
    2010 Cannondale Trail SL 650b
    2013 Norco Range Killer-B

mtbr member
    If you cannot mount a tire you should kill yourself.

Seriously.

The White Jeff W
    That might be a bit harsh. Maybe gouge out an eye with a tire lever.
    No moss...

mtbr member
    I dont have a compressor and I never taped a wheel
    No need for a compressor, a lot of people just use a floor pump. Heck I've seated a tire using a mini pump.

As for never having done something before, youtube. A wealth of knowledge to be had if the time is taken to look for it. Taping a rim is super easy.
    "The impossible often has a kind of integrity which the merely improbable lacks."
    -Douglas Adams

mtbr member
    I tried with my last set of schwalbes. It was really frustrating. Next time I will just fight them more.
    I was going to do just that, but I got nervous about screwing something up. My other wheels are Bontrager RXL and they have built in rim strips. The tape thing is new. Didnt want to waste money,material, and get mad then have someone else do it.
    I will do it myself next time if it takes a week.

Just learn to do your own bike work. You'll get a better understanding of how everything works and save money in the long run.

For going tubeless you don't want to leave the rim strip in. You take that out and use gorilla tape to seal up the rim. Trying to go tubeless with the rims trip will just cause air to leak out.
    "The impossible often has a kind of integrity which the merely improbable lacks."
    -Douglas Adams

> /dev/null 2&>1

Quote Originally Posted by 7daysaweek View Post
    I assume he was paying them to put the tires on so why exactly shouldn't he expect good service again?
    I'm with you, if I owned a shop, I personally would try to treat every walk in the same, and treat online buyers as potential future purchasers.

But shops face increasing costs, and stifling competition from large online retailers who do much higher volume at lower cost and lower margin, decreasing the local shop owner's volume and putting them under serious margin pressure. So I don't blame them if they're not jumping to install an online part and treat these walk in's differently. I would hope they'd treat everyone the same but I wouldn't expect them to. There is no consumer bill of rights guaranteeing you to be treated equally. The typical shop owner needs both the profit on the install, and the sale, to stay afloat. They see people come in to try on shoes & helmets, and parking lot test their bikes only to walk out knowing the customer will probably buy it for 20% cheaper from Jenson or CRC. They buy all their inventory on credit and stay up nights wondering if what they've carefully selected will actually sell, how hard they should go into this new 27.5 thing, all the while the big online competition looming in their mind and questioning how much longer they will be able to stay open and make a living.

Walking into a shop with online parts is like going to your friend's house for dinner but bringing your own food and asking to heat it up in their microwave. "What, you still get the presence of my company!"

Quote Originally Posted by danielsilva View Post
    ^^

This. When i first bought my bike i already had quite a few material laying around, i asked them if they would put the stuff on the bike or them coming from somewhere else was a problem, not only did they put everything on the bike but they even did it for free !
    Buying a bike from the shop and combining some installations is another story.

Positively negative
    Mar 2010
    An online shopper should never be treated poorly for bringing in parts, but an in store shopper may be rewarded for their loyalty.

Most of my really good customers wind up getting employee discounts (cost plus 10%) and will get prioritized service, they may even get a slice of pizza or a beer if they come in enough. Normals just get to pay me competitive prices and hourly rate to do the job right.

It is worth it to shop local if you find a good shop, trust me.

Also, I fully support shunning bad shops, although they should be given constructive criticism and a chance to make things right if you are unsatisfied. Bad shops give the entire profession a bad reputation and need to be weeded out.
    Last edited by big_papa_nuts; 07-12-2014 at 10:08 AM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast