mtbr member
    May 2013

Shipping damage! Is half price fair for a bike w/ small dents?

Bought a Scott Scale 950 on ebay. I was thrilled, got it for about half the usual price for this bike. It was listed as new. I paid, a week went by and... nothing. After twenty days and intervention through ebay, bike arrived packed half-a#% in clothing and towels.
    It was bizarre- unpacking it was like going through someone else's laundry. No wait, I WAS going through someone else's laundry. Then I noticed the top tube has two dents about 1-2mm deep. And there were missing screws. Who packs a bike like this?

So now I am irritated. A month has passed now. I have escalated the case a 2nd time with ebay because the seller is unresponsive. It's out of my hands at this point.
    I have had good luck with ebay so far, but now I know not to buy a bike on ebay unless it's from a reputable shop.
    On the plus side, I've been able to replace the missing screws and have been riding it. It seems ok.

So hey, is half price fair for a bike w/ dented top tube?

AZ
    banned
    To me or to you? If it was mine the seller would be refunding my monies, sh!ts too hard to come by for some twatnozzle to play games. Post pics and out the seller.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    If the dents weren't disclosed in the item description I'd say get your money back. Dents in aluminum will eventually cause premature frame failure and that's not worth saving a couple bucks over. I sold and shipped two bikes on ebay just a few weeks ago. I have all positive feedback and explained they would be packed professionally and did just that. So not all eBay sellers are going to be that way. I'd say if I were to buy a bike off ebay I'd check their feedback as a seller and message them asking specifics regarding condition and how it would be packed prior to bidding. The eBay resolution process is a drawn out pain in the butt.
    2014 Trek Fuel EX 9.8 29er
    2003 Klein Palomino
    2000 Klein Adept Pro
    1999 Specialized Hardrock

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I seriously doubt the dents will lead to frame failure as long as they're not near a weld. I've seen a lot of aluminum frames ridden hard with dents and never seen one crack in the middle of a tube.

Without pics, we can't tell you much, but if you're getting a refund of 50% of the ebay price, it sounds like a pretty good deal to me. If the alternative is to return the bike and get all your money back, you might not find a better deal. If you offered to pay me a few hundred bucks to put a few small dents in my top top tube, I'd probably take the money.

gobsmacked Moderator
    Apr 2008

Yeah. 1/2 off eBay price as a refund or are you just saying you got a great deal on it for 1/2 off retail? I would keep it if it's the former. If they don't offer anything at all, I may be tempted to ship it back although it would suck to pay the cost of return shipping.
    Wanted: WTB rollercams and brake bridges

I Tried Them ALL... Moderator
    "So hey, is half price fair for a bike w/ dented top tube? "

Uh, NO. That is a carbon frame and the seller was just plain shady to NOT disclose this critical detail.

By filing your "significantly not as described claim," on eBay. They will suspend all the seller's money on PayPal and investigate your claim. If NOTHING happens in a few weeks - escalate matters again and PayPal will ultimately deduct your full refund directly from their linked checking/bank account. May take up to six weeks, though!

I know it sucks and the claims process on eBay is a complete time-waster. I hope you left negative feedback at the very least. Who is this scheister, so we all know NEVER to buy from them?
    "The mind will quit....well before the body does"

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator

Quote Originally Posted by Zachariah View Post
    "So hey, is half price fair for a bike w/ dented top tube? "

Uh, NO. That is a carbon frame and the seller was just plain shady to NOT disclose this critical detail.

By filing your "significantly not as described claim," on eBay. They will suspend all the seller's money on PayPal and investigate your claim. If NOTHING happens in a few weeks - escalate matters again and PayPal will ultimately deduct your full refund directly from their linked checking/bank account. May take up to six weeks, though!

I know it sucks and the claims process on eBay is a complete time-waster. I hope you left negative feedback at the very least. Who is this scheister, so we all know NEVER to buy from them?
    Ummm...the Scale 950 is aluminum, not carbon.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

Quote Originally Posted by shiggy View Post
    Ummm...the Scale 950 is aluminum, not carbon.
    Ooops - I stand corrected.

Bandit 29 FTW!!!
    Get your money back...Contact PayPal as well and get them to put a hold on the dinero.
    Let's make like a Bike and get the Huck outta here...

Quote Originally Posted by PretendGentleman View Post
    I seriously doubt the dents will lead to frame failure as long as they're not near a weld. I've seen a lot of aluminum frames ridden hard with dents and never seen one crack in the middle of a tube.
    This is absolutely correct. I'd say enjoy the deal you got on it... and in the future only buy frames local where you can see them in person... or from a reputable eBay bike seller. I've bought from The Pros Closet on eBay many times and always top-notch descriptions and disclosures.

Trail Prospector
    Quote Originally Posted by girlonbike View Post
    Yeah. 1/2 off eBay price as a refund or are you just saying you got a great deal on it for 1/2 off retail? I would keep it if it's the former. If they don't offer anything at all, I may be tempted to ship it back although it would suck to pay the cost of return shipping.
    ^ This.
    Once received a steel frame on eBay that was S.N.A.D. Never would have bought it, and the dents/scratches were all a result of his LBS' piss-poor packing job. Seller came across as sincere, was in an awkward spot, and we were able to settle it directly.
    In this scenario, negotiation does not sound like an option, so I'd be prepared to return it for a full refund.
    The best is the one you want to ride most often..

mtbr member
    You sure its not a stolen frame?

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    I won't use Ebay. Problem solved.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by vfrpete View Post
    Bought a Scott Scale 950 on ebay. I was thrilled, got it for about half the usual price for this bike. It was listed as new. I paid, a week went by and... nothing. After twenty days and intervention through ebay, bike arrived packed half-a#% in clothing and towels.
    It was bizarre- unpacking it was like going through someone else's laundry. No wait, I WAS going through someone else's laundry. Then I noticed the top tube has two dents about 1-2mm deep. And there were missing screws. Who packs a bike like this?

So now I am irritated. A month has passed now. I have escalated the case a 2nd time with ebay because the seller is unresponsive. It's out of my hands at this point.
    I have had good luck with ebay so far, but now I know not to buy a bike on ebay unless it's from a reputable shop.
    On the plus side, I've been able to replace the missing screws and have been riding it. It seems ok.

So hey, is half price fair for a bike w/ dented top tube?
    Try to get a full refund

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Shipping damage! Is half price fair for a bike w/ small dents?-20130624_203848.jpg
    Ok thanks everyone for your thoughts. Sorry if I wasn't clear - I paid $860, which looks to be about half of retail (it was on ebay with no reserve). Hopefully you can see a picture in this post. I will try and answer some of the questions raised.
    We agreed that he would pack it such that there would be no damage. There is no telling what may happen so we agreed he would get insurance, which I agreed to pay for. I have not sent the extra $60 for this because he was so unresponsive, and it has been such a mess I don't trust him. If he only said "hey it's insured, no problem" then I would have sent the extra $60. Way I see it, I owe him 60 and he owes me a new frame.
    The bike looks new (and seller said its new) and there is no wear. It's like it was never ridden. It came with all the manuals so I dont think its stolen. My guess either shipping damage or he's shady and it was a "scratch and dent" special that he failed to disclose. He never responded when I sent a pic of the damage so I don't know which it is. I really don't know if he insured it either. So I have asked ebay to let me keep it at a reduced price. Even at $860, I guess I could afford a replacement frame, as someone noted I could get one for a few hundred if this breaks.
    Yes I am still pi$$ed but I have refrained from doing negative feedback until this is resolved.
    I've learned never to buy from someone with "getsmoney" as part of their ebay name. It's a bad sign.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Oh, and as far I can tell, he has not been paid for the bike yet b/c I opened a resolution case. Apparently that holds the payment somewhere (cause it's sure not in my paypal!) I would think dude would want his money and so would be more responsive.

MTBR Member
    It doesn't look like it was damaged during shipping.

Quote Originally Posted by vfrpete View Post
    Oh, and as far I can tell, he has not been paid for the bike yet b/c I opened a resolution case. Apparently that holds the payment somewhere (cause it's sure not in my paypal!) I would think dude would want his money and so would be more responsive.
    Yes, once a Not as Described case is opened - the funds are held in PayPal's version of an Escrow Account, or suspended. Monies previously released to the seller as payment, gets reversed and/or subtracted from whatever PP balance the seller has. If his PP account has no funds - PayPal is draws the money from his linked bank account, which is held and finally gets released to you - once they decide the case in YOUR FAVOR.

The seller most likely blew the frame out cheap, without disclosing the blemishes....which probably bothered him. Waiting nearly two weeks for shipment has me speculating the seller had all intent to defraud you. I'd leave feedback anyways, since he can always return to eBay as a completely new seller....all over again.