Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Shipping bikes

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by HitmenOnlyInc View Post
    @Jeffscott- If I find that I am traveling with my bike more I will invest in a hard shell carrier. Which Serfas case do you have are there more than one? I see one that's about $300 but weighs 31 lbs. My bike weighs just shy of 30lbs add that to the carrier and that puts me way north of the 50 lb limit. I think Southwest charges extra for overweight baggage on top of oversized.
    Yeah I think I was about 60 lbs....I had two sets of tires...road and trail. I also threw in my snorkel equipment. I think I paid $60 bucks a few years back....

The lady who weight it looked really worried and said sorry it is overweight....I will have to charge you $60 bucks....

Then she looked at me and said "You allready knew that right" I go "yup".

I have no idea how Southwest Charges but it must be easy to look up...

I think I paid $300 bucks for it.....It sure feels lighter than my 30lb bike though

The Original Suspect
    ^^ Cool, Gotcha! Nice to know you can put that much extra stuff in there. That can make it worth the extra charge.

mtbr member
    My girlfriend just flew Southwest with her Canfield One in a hardshell case. I think it weighed somewhere between 70-75 lbs and there was only a $50 charge each way. The boxes are pretty secure and seem to be cheaper and easier than shipping. Try calling some LBS, a lot of them rent them by the week for a reasonable price if you dont want to shell out for a new case.

mtbr member
    I got a free box from my local bike shop and boxed my bike up once and just checked it in on Jetblue like it was my first bag, then carried on a duffle bag with my clothes. Didnt cost me anything. You should check when you check in at the counter they might be cool and let you get it in like a checked bag.

The Original Suspect
    Southwest allows the first two checked bags free. They take the bike in lieu of a checked bag. The $50 charge was because the bike box was oversized.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by edubfromktown View Post
    Never thought of shipping to local REI store

I just shipped a 29er frame, boxed it was 14 lbs. via FedEx ground for $72. UPS was $81.41...
    I recently sent a frame USPS for $26 from WV to CA

Hooked
    We used BikeFlights.com this summer to ship my kiddos bike to and from his DH/FR camp week at Woodward/Copper. Bike went from Milwaukee to Copper Mtn in CO. At the front end of the trip, arriving at a certain day/time was critical -and we'd procrastinated too long - we did the 2 day option which was a bit pricey ($112), but return just standard shipping ($34). Even then I think it was only 3 business days until we received it.

Packed it in a bike box. We packed ourselves, getting a box from our LBS. As others mentioned, everything was zip tied together. Used some bubble wrap and that thin foam stuff to pad the bike. Maybe went a bit overboard in the protecting the bike.

Worked beautifully.

In our case taking on plane wasn't an option, as he was doing two weeks of camp - second with a snowboard - the amount of gear we were lugging was overwhelming (and would be difficult to fit it all in a rental), so door to door.
    My blog - this, that, travel, garden, bikes, fitness, family, whatever

Instagram, Twitter you'll find me as beerbikegirl

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2