mtbr member
    Apr 2011

Shimano XTR M985 vs Time X Roc S

Guys -
    I've been mountain biking for about 6 months now on platforms and would like to try clipless. Im 42, have a hifi deluxe and mainly ride east coast xc trails. Im looking at the two above-mentioned pedals. They both appear to be high quality, but I'm intrigued with the fact that the X Rocs may have more float which may be better on my knees (not that I have knee problems now, I just don't want to develop any).

Any thoughts on these two pedals?

mtbr member
    Shimano XTR M985

Retired User
    It's been debated to death over the years. Each have there so called advantages and disadvantages. Time guys (like myself) will tell you Times are the best, Shimano guys will tell you Shimanos are the best. Both wonder why anyone buys Crank Bros pedals.

Alot of it will come down to whether you think float is great or whether float sucks. Otherwise, I'd say that Time pedals do have an advantage when it comes to not getting gunked up with mud / snow / ice. (I'm sure someone will tell me I'm wrong.)

My advise: Find an opportunity to try both. Try to find someone that has Shimanos and someone that has Times, along with roughly the same shoe size, and try there's. Or a bike shop that willing to let you try both out.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I went through a similar process a couple of months ago. I had always ridden platforms and wanted to try clipless when my right knee started giving me a little grief.

After quite a bit of research, It came down to the M985's or the M647's for me. Price wasn't as much of a concern as ease of entry and versatility.

After looking at the two side by side, I chose the M647's. They have a bigger platform and I can ride them easier (on the occasion I ride an easy bike path leisurely with my kids wearing regular sandals).

Couldn't be happier with my choice. They are easy to get into and out of, and they keep my large feet from moving back and forth on the pedals when climbing. Knees feel great now.

I can't comment on the Time pedals, heard they're great too, but you may want to look at the M647s as well.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Edit: Oops. I put this in the wrong thread. Sorry about that. It also appears that I cannot delete messages yet, so this will have to do.

I just purchased a set of M647's off of eBay and will try them out to replace my old and loose M424's on my new bike. The bike came with Crank Bros. but since I already have SPD all over the place, I am not changing at this point.
    Last edited by DRSpalding; 07-23-2011 at 05:03 PM. Reason: Couldn't delete message I posted in wrong thread.

Five is right out
    Sep 2006
    I've been riding 2 pairs of ROC S for the last several years. Prior to that, standard ATACs, Aliums and way back, XT SPDs. All are good. I stuck to Time for the float. I've also tried Eggbeaters and Look Quartz. Not so good.

wbmason has all the points covered. The Shimano mud clearance has improved over the years, but I moved to Time for the float. Times are still not proof against huge amounts of thick clay buildup- Eggbeaters are a better design for this, but I will not buy Crank Bros products.

The minor downside to the Time designs is that they tend to be a bit heavier than SPDs, so if you are a complete weight weenie, they are not ideal. If you do get the times, the advantages of the ROC is that the retension bars are steel and more durable than the XS series, and there are independent springs on each side of the pedal so you don't get popped out of your pedal if the pedal strikes a rock (a weakness of both the XS series and Crank Bros).

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by womble View Post
    I've been riding 2 pairs of ROC S for the last several years. Prior to that, standard ATACs, Aliums and way back, XT SPDs. All are good. I stuck to Time for the float. I've also tried Eggbeaters and Look Quartz. Not so good.
    You must've had the older version Look Quartz. I went from Time Atacs to the Looks and I love the Look Quartz pedals. I wanted to try them mainly because of the similar design to the Atacs but lower weight (5 ounces on my scale). They are very very similar in engagement and disengagement to my Times. I have also used Shimanos in the past. I swapped out my Shimanos for Times due for the increased float and because the Shimanos got clogged up easily not allowing me to clip in. I have never tried Eggbeaters and don't care to...

mtbr member

Test, just a test

Hello. And Bye.

RIDE...
    Quote Originally Posted by broeli View Post
    You must've had the older version Look Quartz. I went from Time Atacs to the Looks and I love the Look Quartz pedals. I wanted to try them mainly because of the similar design to the Atacs but lower weight (5 ounces on my scale). They are very very similar in engagement and disengagement to my Times. I have also used Shimanos in the past. I swapped out my Shimanos for Times due for the increased float and because the Shimanos got clogged up easily not allowing me to clip in. I have never tried Eggbeaters and don't care to...
    I have 2 pairs of look Quartz Ti, always I have accidental disengagement in my right foot, I have changed shoes and cleats from 15 to 20 degree, removed shims, now no shims on the right foot, it is a real pain, I brougth those because they are one of the lightest but they are not reliable, and I have the new model..

Plays with tools
    Quote Originally Posted by wbmason55 View Post
    . Both wonder why anyone buys Crank Bros pedals.
    LMAO.

If pedals weren't such a personal choice they would still come with bikes. Personally I'm a Time guy and have been for almost 15 years, on and off road. I really like the springy float they have as opposed to the Shimanos that are in or out and nothing in between.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by MarcoL View Post
    I have 2 pairs of look Quartz Ti, always I have accidental disengagement in my right foot, I have changed shoes and cleats from 15 to 20 degree, removed shims, now no shims on the right foot, it is a real pain, I brougth those because they are one of the lightest but they are not reliable, and I have the new model..
    It's odd how people seem to have such different experiences with the Quartz pedals.

I've been using them for over a year now, and I have never had an accidental disengagement. In fact I've never been able to fault them in any way.

A suggestion: Removing more shims could well have made your problem worse, are you sure you didn't need more instead of less?

RIDE...
    Quote Originally Posted by hedgeboar View Post
    It's odd how people seem to have such different experiences with the Quartz pedals.

I've been using them for over a year now, and I have never had an accidental disengagement. In fact I've never been able to fault them in any way.

A suggestion: Removing more shims could well have made your problem worse, are you sure you didn't need more instead of less?
    I began with enough shims according the manuals, but It was too tight, then I put another one and it was too loose.. then I remove it....

should I try Time or it is better go back to XTR?

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by womble View Post

wbmason has all the points covered. The Shimano mud clearance has improved over the years, but I moved to Time for the float. Times are still not proof against huge amounts of thick clay buildup- Eggbeaters are a better design for this, but I will not buy Crank Bros products.

The minor downside to the Time designs is that they tend to be a bit heavier than SPDs, so if you are a complete weight weenie, they are not ideal. If you do get the times, the advantages of the ROC is that the retension bars are steel and more durable than the XS series, and there are independent springs on each side of the pedal so you don't get popped out of your pedal if the pedal strikes a rock (a weakness of both the XS series and Crank Bros).
    Doesn't the ATAC XS also have independent springs on each side of the pedal?

willtsmith_nwi
    Quote Originally Posted by wbmason55 View Post
    It's been debated to death over the years. Each have there so called advantages and disadvantages. Time guys (like myself) will tell you Times are the best, Shimano guys will tell you Shimanos are the best. Both wonder why anyone buys Crank Bros pedals.
    I know why, they're light, they're pretty and they work very well until they fail catastrophically.

To the OP, I think you'll do good on either Shimano or Time.

Michigan Wolverine
    I'm a Time guy. I love how resistant they are to getting clogged up. The float is nice too. And this is a bit superficial, but I like the way they look, especially those gold cleats. But really you can't go wrong with either type of pedal.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    I love the Shimano XTR M985's. Just replaced my CB acid's with them. Nice pedal. Look cool as well.

Front Range, Colorado
    This question has been asked TIME & TIME again and the answer is always TIME.
    Sorry but I been on TIMES for 12 years and have been so happy I couldn't give them up long enough to try the others. I compare it to a cup of coffee once you get that "just right" mixture you'll never try any other combo.
    I currently run TIME XS Carbon Titaniums and love the float adjustment dial. All it takes is a click or two on the dial to fine tune it to your desired preference. I did this early on and have never had to readjust it since. May I add that was 4 years ago and still going strong. My original aluminum TIMES were used for 8 years before I retired them as a spare set if ever needed. A top notch pedal that works like a charm and will never let you down.
    Last edited by DIRTJUNKIE; 04-16-2012 at 04:43 PM.
    --------- __o
    ------- _`\<,_
    ------ (*)/ (*)
    ************^^^^^^^^^Rock Garden