Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Shimano STX question

2K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  JCS1969 
#1 ·
Forgive me if this has been answered. I've looked but I cannot find anything.

On my recently acquired '94 GT Tequesta, if I downshift on the rear it will blow through all the gears to the very lowest one IF I push the lever the full throw, or hold it. I can barely depress the lever to grab each gear if I want to, though. Is this an isolated problem, or the way it was designed? If it's just an adjustment issue, i'm leaving it because it's hugely convenient in stop/go commuting rides. :p

#4 ·
STX in 1994 was rapidfire push pull, wasn't it? i remember it from my kona fire mountain...

that means that you shift the rear cog to smaller cogs with the pull lever (one in front of the bar). if i remember properly, you had to shift into the smaller cogs one by one with rapidfire. you could hold the push shifter down shifting to larger cogs but only 2-3 at a time. again, this is based on foggy memories...

what i don't understand is your being "barely able to depress the lever to grab each gear". does the chain shift through the cog ok? i've had XT level shifters get very difficult to shift into the larger rear cogs but that was because the insides of the shifters were getting toasted in some way shape or form.

can you go into more detail?

#5 ·
I'm sorry I didn't explain it well; let's try again.

If I'm riding down the street and I want to downshift a gear I can. I just push the lever slightly, and quickly (perhaps 1/4 of the full throw of the lever). However, if I push the lever further (1/2 of the lever throw, or more) it will skip every gear and land on 1.

#8 ·
Hey Joel,

What Shekky described is how the rapidfire has always worked on that bike. Shifting up a gear is a single gear at a time process. Downshifting for me on that bike was always 3 maybe 4 gears at a time if I pushed the lever far enough. If I pushed the lever ever so slightly, I could downshift a single gear. I don't know that I ever tried to go all the way down to 1 in a single push of the lever so I can't speak as to that being normal or not.

I suppose it's possible that the bike was setup wrong all those years ago when I bought it, but it never seemed odd to me...it always worked fine and I found it to be convenient at times to drop more than one gear at a time on the rear dérailleur.

Is the bike still working well for you?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.