mtbr member
    Apr 2013

Shimano deore m581 front derailleur

Hi all, I've been fine tuning my 2007 stumpjumper comp, and at best the front derailleur (shimano deore m581) scrapes on the derailleur cage when on the large chain ring and smallest rear cog, and the smallest chainring and two largest rear cogs. I've followed a bunch of good forums and instructional videos, but it seems physically impossible for me to tune the front derailleur to not scrape... ie. the low limit screw is screwed in as far as can go (as close to bike as possible) and it still scrapes on the small chain ring and largest two rear cogs. Some people suggest this is normal for some derailleur / shifter brands. Does anyone have any recommendations for replacement derailleur / shifters? My shifter is sram x7. Cheers.

rebmem rbtm
    Apr 2007

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    On the derailleur cage.

rebmem rbtm
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnmatrix View Post
    On the derailleur cage.
    Inside ? Outside ? Bottom ?

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Inside of the cage on the small chain ring and largest two rear cogs, outside of the cage on the large chain ring and smallest cog. I fiddled with it for about 6 hours this weekend, and pretty sure it can't be adjusted any better. I read on another thread on a site that some of the cages are a bit tight, and that it is impossible to eliminate all chain rub.

rebmem rbtm
    Apr 2007
    When the chain is on the small chainring/large rear cog can you push the deurailleur cage inwards any further by pushing on it with your fingers ?

Elitest thrill junkie
    Yes, traditionally it is difficult to impossible to set it up with no rub, even if you do it all correctly. The front derailleur is mechanically inferior to the rear, in terms of function. Shifting across 3 gears with with a front derailleur is just too much for the other constraints. This was figured out a long time ago, and a relatively good solution was the SRAM micro-adjust front gripshift shifter. This would allow you to twist it enough so it changed gear, and then back off one or two so it wouldn't rub. Really, that's what it takes to do it perfectly every time. The way we set up traditional shifters and derailleurs is usually so they only rub or slightly rub in the gear combos that you are least likely to be using.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    you should have no rub on middle ring and all gears in the back. When using large ring in front, rub is expected using first second or third largest in back(cross-chaining don't do it)

Same for when using smallest in front, the three smallest gears in back might give a slight rub.

What you experience is not normal, try to bend the cage and see if you can improve on it.

Did you try to rotate the derailleur around the seat tube?

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    No. It's rock solid

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Learux View Post
    you should have no rub on middle ring and all gears in the back. When using large ring in front, rub is expected using first second or third largest in back(cross-chaining don't do it)

Same for when using smallest in front, the three smallest gears in back might give a slight rub.

What you experience is not normal, try to bend the cage and see if you can improve on it.

Did you try to rotate the derailleur around the seat tube?
    My situation is as you describe in your first paragraph. No rubbing in the middle chainring. Thanks for your reply.

rebmem rbtm
    Apr 2007
    Has the derailleur taken any hard hits that could of knocked it out of shape ?

Maybe post some photos of it.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Shimano deore m581 front derailleur-image.jpg
    Quote Originally Posted by cobba View Post
    Has the derailleur taken any hard hits that could of knocked it out of shape ?

Maybe post some photos of it.
    I bought the bike second hand, but it is in excellent condition. The derailleur looks fine. Photos are a bit hard to see, but the cage / guide looks fine.