mtbr member
    Nov 2011

shimano brakes SLX / XT

Looking at replacing my elixer 5 brakes. What is the difference between SLX M666 and the SLX M675 (both ice tech)? Also I pretty much see only a 4 gram less weight on the XT M785....any other differences? Also do I need post adaptor or IS Adaptor on my 2011 Fuel EX8 with fox shock? It looks like blue sky is the cheapest price and availablility. Should I replace my Avid rotors too?
    2014 Niner RIP 9
    Full XT
    Rock Shox Pike 140
    Roval Control Carbon

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Rotors should be fine unless you feel grooves or they squeal like crazy. I hear slx is best bang for your buck and is not very different from xt aside from bling factor. I went with Hayes after a very troublesome pair of elixirs. I will never use avid brakes again (crotch bb7)
    There's something about those long grueling climbs that gets my front end all stiff... And I'm not talking about lockout...

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    My rotors seem fine. No squeeling and I have yet to even wear out one set of pads. As far as price I am looking at $40 more (front and back) for the XT vs the SLX M675. It turns out the M666 dont have the rear brakes available. I could use the $40 towards a SLX plus rear derailer upgrade over my regular SLX derailer.
    2014 Niner RIP 9
    Full XT
    Rock Shox Pike 140
    Roval Control Carbon

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by stygz1 View Post
    Looking at replacing my elixer 5 brakes. What is the difference between SLX M666 and the SLX M675 (both ice tech)? Also I pretty much see only a 4 gram less weight on the XT M785....any other differences? Also do I need post adaptor or IS Adaptor on my 2011 Fuel EX8 with fox shock? It looks like blue sky is the cheapest price and availablility. Should I replace my Avid rotors too?
    I upgraded my elixir 5s a week ago. I kept the rotors and they worked fine. Dont know the difference between slx and xt, but from posts I read while I was doing research, they are about the same.

I used the same adaptor that came with my elixir 5s for my tallboy carbon ltc.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    I was probably going to use my original adaptors...so I guess that does not matter....just get the 180 front and 160 rear. Did you have to shorten the hoses? How does that work?

What did you upgrade to?
    2014 Niner RIP 9
    Full XT
    Rock Shox Pike 140
    Roval Control Carbon