mtbr member
    Jun 2009

Shimano 520's or Time Atac for clipless beginner?

I'm looking to get my wife a pair of clipless pedals. This will be her first time using clipless, so I'm looking for a good pedal for a beginner. Or, one that won't kill her, and will last a long time.

I have the ATACs and I like them, but I have nothing to compare them to, as I've never owned anything else.

I found my atac's on craigslist with cleats for $25, so I'm wondering, should I wait to find another good deal on TIMES, or I could pick up a pair of 520's on Ebay for about the same price???

Any other suggestions? Bonus points for blue pedals, but function is the most important consideration.

Seems the ATACs, Quartz, and Shimano SPD's are the highest regarded pedals, so that is why I've come down to these two.

mtbr member
    Time were the first pedals I ever used and I still think they are the best. I don't really think there is much of a difference between Shimano and Time as far as ease of use for a beginner, however. They feel similar in terms of clipping in and getting out. Just remember that Time cleats are asymmetrical, so that the right cleat with easy release will require much greater rotation to release when on the left shoe.

FKA Malibu412
    Quote Originally Posted by stingray4540
    Bonus points for blue pedals
    This + this = any color you like.

I'd say 520s for someone new to clipless.
    Everything that kills me, makes me feel alive

I Have Cookies
    +1 on the 520's that's what I learned on and still have orig set on my SS'er!
    The most important thing is what God thinks about it. He will have the final say. Joshua Stinebrink

____
    Kimo

too cold to ride
    I really like my 520's - easy to clip in and out, rugged as well.
    Now go home and get your ******* shinebox.

bi-winning
    I learned on 520s, and never for a moment did I regret that decision.

Unfortunately, I have not tried Times for comparison.
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

Shorthills Cycling Club

ride the moment
    I've never used Times. I started on SPD then went to crank bros then back to SPD's about a year later because I really like the tight, ski binding style you get with the SPD.

That being said, I bet either one will be fine to learn on, and once she gets the hang of it she'll just have tot try a couple kinds to see what she likes. Pedals are a preference, each kind having strengths and weaknesses.
    Just because you read a book it don't make you conscious. - MC Lush

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    I've ridden many pedals including Shimano's and have stuck with Time's since my first purchase of them. They are the best in my book for many reasons; durability being number one.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Malibu412
    This + this = any color you like.

I'd say 520s for someone new to clipless.

Awesome idea!!! I might have to do that to my ATACs.

Do you know how difficult it is to disassemble and reassemble SPDs or ATACs? Are there any special tools needed or cautions to follow regarding the springs, etc?

I always bleed like this.
    Both work well. I don't unclip from the Time's accidentally as often but I have no problem getting out when I want too. I only tried the Times after a winter ride in the snow with the 520's and figured out that the Shimano design is bad news where snow or mud can get into the pedal. Snow was very annoying, if it is in that stage that it can pack into ice the 520's turn into really crappy platforms. The design of the Time is much better for clearing the pedal from snow or mud, same with crank brothers. If you never expect to be in thick snow or mud, the 520's are good pedals. JMHO

Former Bike Wrench
    I've owned and ridden Time, Shimano (including newer style), and Crank Bros

I would eliminate Crank Bros for their tendency to release when touching anything (like a log when doing log crossings).

Time ATAC-best for mud and snow, nice float, will not release accidentally, nuclear holocast proof

Shimano 520/540/959/etc-most positive click in and out, more durable cleats, good float

Personally I'm riding Times because they work regardless of conditions. But the Shimano is an excellent pedal if snow, ice, and thick mud are not issues as they provide the most positive "click" in and out.

mtbr member

Do you know how difficult it is to disassemble and reassemble SPDs or ATACs? Are there any special tools needed or cautions to follow regarding the springs, etc?
    Really? I think that sounds like a terrible idea. The way pedals get dropped, stomped on, kicked, scraped, and banged, I can't imagine a paint job that would look good even after a couple of rides.

I Have Cookies

All you really need to disassemble a set of spd's is a #2 Phillips screwdriver and some loctite blue to put it back together..... Easy!
    The most important thing is what God thinks about it. He will have the final say. Joshua Stinebrink

____
    Kimo