mtbr member
    Oct 2012

Shadow + Derrailleur or chainguide or both

I am looking to go 1x9 on my XC 29er. Right now I have a regular long cage Deore derailleur in the back. The chain flops everywhere, is noisy, and I can't stand it.

I've read the new Shimano Shadow + derailleurs hold the chain on the front chain ring pretty good even without a chain guide. So I was wondering if anyone is using the new derailleurs with no chain guides?

Also, if recommendations are that I still need a chain guide I'm wondering if a BB mount bracket such as this below will work on a Shimano Octalink lower bracket (no external BB's)? I do not have a ISCG mount.

MRP G2 SL Guide 36-40T BB Mount White

I was looking at getting a short cage derailleur too which I've read is fine for a 1x setup. I don't ride downhill like some of you guys I see on YouTube, but the trails I ride are full of large roots and I do hit them pretty hard and fast.

If folks are finding they still need a chainguide I may just get that and forget the shadow +. I don't want to buy both right now though I sure that's the best way.

mtbr member
    I have been riding a Zee Shadow+ for a few weeks now. No chainguide. It has been dead silent so farvand I have not dropped a chain. Even if you decide to get a chainguide, I still would say to get a Shadow+. The clutch works fantastic, shifting is top notch.

Envoyé de mon iPad à l'aide de Tapatalk HD

mtbr member
    My experience has been the same as Johnny's. XTR Shadow+ with no chain guide. It's stealth quiet and I've had no dropped chains.

usually cranky
    full suspension or hard tail? if fs id say clutch and top guide to be safe, if ht just a clutch should be good.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by b-kul View Post
    full suspension or hard tail? if fs id say clutch and top guide to be safe, if ht just a clutch should be good.
    Hard tail....Cannondale SL3 29er. I assume from what I've read I want a short cage derailleur too?? I'm planning on 34T front with a 12-36 cassette.

The whole point of going 1x9 is to try to reduce noise and to simplify. Like many others I never find myself on the other chain rings. I also want to get a good looking chain ring up front for some bling. Looking at the single raceface rings.

Thanks for the replies.

mtbr member
    Shadow + only works on 10 spd. You won't be able to go 1x9

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Dover View Post
    Shadow + only works on 10 spd. You won't be able to go 1x9
    Wells shows how much I know.

I figured the shifter is what sets the cable pull and release lengths. Didn't think a derailleur would have anything to do with how far the shifter pulled and released it. Isn't a derailleur just on a spring? I need to look into that. What a bummer!!

Thanks

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Shimano and Sram changed their pull ratio for 10 speed to improve performance.

Strangely though, Shimano's 10 speed pull ratio is the same as Sram's 9 speed, so a 10 speed Shimano Shadow + derailleur would work with a 9 speed setup if you used a Sram 9 speed shifter.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    That blows! I guess I'm back to just trying to get a chainguide setup that will attache to a Shimano Octalink lower bracket. Seems like all the adapter plates are meant for the external BB type brackets.

This is getting to be a pita! I'm glad I posted the question before buying anything!!

banned
    Sep 2012
    If you're OK with SLX or Deore components, the RD-M662 and RD-M592 are 9-speed shadow derailleurs.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    shadow plus is pretty quiet but you might need to adjust your front derraileur to give a little ore clearance to the chain.

Im running shadow plus only and someone the other day mentioned that my bike is totally silent. I think it is a bit loud, especially compared to a turner sultan i demoed. The sultan has the chain stay above the chain so it literally is totally silent

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Take your outer and inner chainrings off, shorten your chain and put a BBG bashwich on it.
    About a $20 investment and works great. A single speed chainring is also a good upgrade.
    Buy other stuff when you have spare money and time.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ryguy135 View Post
    Shimano and Sram changed their pull ratio for 10 speed to improve performance.

Strangely though, Shimano's 10 speed pull ratio is the same as Sram's 9 speed, so a 10 speed Shimano Shadow + derailleur would work with a 9 speed setup if you used a Sram 9 speed shifter.
    So a xtr 10 speed shadow+ will work with my 9 speed twist shift? And I can lose my chain guide.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    Oct 2012

Update.. 1x hardtail no chain guard

If there is anyone wondering, I upgraded to the Saint Shadow plus derailleur and had to go 10 speed all the way around with it like Dover said. I also got a single ring raceface chainring for the front.

I have used this setup several times now on the bumpiest trail I have in my area. The chain has never come off nor have I ever felt like it was about to come off. The shadow plus without a chain guide seems to work great if you are running a 1x hardtail. My drive train is so quiet now I seem to be paying more attention to how bumpy the trail really is!!

Those with 2x or 3x or with full suspension setups may have a different experience.

YOUREGO ISNOT YOURAMIGO
    Bionicon USA C-Guide Chainguide

Shoulda got one of these instead.

G
    Yes, Monday and Tuesday are now no longer weekdays. Trust me. LP.
    No Rep/No Problem
    Banned For Boobies WTF?
    Don't PM Me.