mtbr member
    Aug 2009

Selle SMP Saddle

Anyone using a Selle Smp saddle on a mountain bike? Looking at the Glider model. Seems to get good reviews on the MTBR's review area.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    I was using one until a few days ago. I find that the seat is not so great with mtb seating ergo's (more upright) but pretty splendid with drop bars. I had originally tried it with a mtb bike but it was extremely uncomfortable with the edges of the center region with 'hot spots' that would make remaining seated on the saddle an exercise in pain tolerance (I have both the Pro and Plus). For the past few months I have put drop bars on a bike and retried the saddle and it was pretty darn good. That central cutout region did work as advertised and althought not perfect (i've had more comfortable saddles) it was truly good and I could sit on it for hours.

The Plus is the model that seemed to work best for me in my application, I should have ebayed the Pro ages ago, I found the pro really a torture rack on the sitbones and inner thigh.

In short, it's a good saddle and if you need one to address the very issue this saddle was created to alleive I think this truly does work. But, I think its not so good a solution for the way we sit on mtbikes. If you must have a generous center cutout I'm hard pressed to suggest one for mtb application I'm afraid. I seem to have found nirvana with WTB silverado's on my mtb and that has no cutout, just a minor recess,

I stopped using the SMP Plus simply because I have put flat bars back on the bike and with the ergonomic change I have saddles that are more comfortable for me than it is, and apparently I only seem to get confronted by "my gentlemans junk" issue when in drop bar position.

I also have a selle an-atomica clydesdale saddle that I think is superb if you need one with a cutout but I dont think it will make a good mtb saddle, the nose and tail of the saddle are hard as a rock as that is where the seat frame is, everything else is perfect. I personally rate it just above the Selle SMP because of it's awsome comfort (think "hammock") and for how completely it brings a solution to that "issue" for which it has the cutout. But I can see in a mtb application where you would perhaps slide forward to sit on the tip on the saddle when climbing steep hills that hard rail would directly be pushed into the region you are hoping to save from damage. I think it's great saddle for almost everything else but for mtb it is not such a great match. (leather so aprehensive about mud, and rigid nose and tail of saddle)