mtbr member
    Dec 2006

Second bike, any point ??

I currently ride a Jamis XAM 2. It's an "all mountain" weighing in at 33 pounds. Very solid. Frankly much more bike than i need. i got a great deal through Jenson last year so i bought it. i do not do big jumps, ever !! Mostly intermediate stuff with some small drops.

I am considering a second bike weighing in at about 23 pounds, more of a trail cross country bike. I would use it for the longer, winding and flatter cross country type stuff.

It would be a hardtail.

Is it a waste of money. Would i feel a difference in the hardtail and in a bike 10 pounds lighter?

I could easily lose 25 pounds myself and imagine this would be the logical step.

Reason i ask is i have been told that for cross country flat type stuff a lighter hardtail is preferable.

Any thoughts on this.

lots of folks have multiple different bikes for different types of riding. Nothing wrong with that. right now I have a FS and a city bike. My FS is built heavier than a race bike, but it has too little travel to be truly good at bigger drops, rock gardens, and anything too aggressive. It's a fairly reliable all-rounder. My next mtb will be a hardtail well suited for long bikepacking rides. So it won't be a race bike by any means. My FS will need to be retiring eventually so the HT will replace it for some time and then I'll probably get a 120-130mm travel FS to round out the other types of stuff I like to ride.

I am not a racer, so I really don't have much desire for that type of bike. I also don't tend to go really big and/or get all armored up to ride, so I wouldn't really go with those types of bikes, either. But if you like those things, I could totally see buying bikes so you can ride that stuff.

if you can afford it, why not? You'll definitely notice a difference between two bikes that are so different in geometry, suspension, and weight.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003

I really like having a hardtail. In my case, I find that I ride it more than my Fs all mountain bike. Two very different feeling bikes.
    Riding slowly since 1977.

I build my own.
    I used to have a stable of bikes, 13 all together. Lately, due to financial restrictions & a couple of thefts I've been left with only one bike. I've managed over the last year to switch up my one bike, but no matter what I try there are always times when I "need" a different bike. I've also managed to lose 60lbs in that year.

I'd say that first of all you will notice a difference if you lose weight personally (don't try my weight loss method) but you'll still notice a difference if you ride a lighter bike as well. The difference between 60lbs lighter and 70lbs lighter is still significant. Yes, get another bike if it's within your budget.
    I have a device that can access the total knowledge of man. I use it to look at pictures of cats and argue with strangers.

Bro
    Where I do my thinking
    I say there's no point in not having more bikes.

I currently have four bikes, recently down from a previous high number of five. At that point, I had a fixed gear commuter, a shitty road bike, an older S-works road bike that had been handed down to me from a very nice uncle, an older S-works full suspension cross country bike that had been handed down to me from that very same uncle, and a nicer singlespeed hardtail that I bought used from a teammate. I sold the shitty road bike, so now I have four bikes. I use the road bike for both road training and racing, and I use the full suspension for training and racing, and the singlespeed for mostly fun stuff and training.

I'm pretty happy with the bikes that I have now. I've never really been into downhill-type stuff so I don't really see the need for that. If I had the money, I would definitely put a fat bike as the first item on the want list.
    I've made some bad decisions like taking the gears off my bike. So here's the warning: Do not as I say, nor as I do.

mtbr member
    I'd say go for it. A light hardtail is significanly different than your Jamis and anything that makes you want to ride more is a good thing, plus riding a hardtail will improve your handling skills. Even if you go for a 26lb hardtail you will notice a difference.
    Personally I've got several bikes, all different enough that they all get used pretty much equally. Plus it never hurts to have a spare in case of a bike issue, nothing worse than having a blown shock/fork before a road trip...

29ers Forever
    Go Get It! It is nice to have two bikes so that you can choose which bike to use depending on what terrain you are riding on. XC hardtails are good for longer trails that are flatter and have less bumps, while AMT bikes are good for more technical trails.
    2013 Trek Cobia- 29er serious mountain bike
    2015 Raleigh Misceo- Gravel bike
    2013 Trek 3700 Disk- play mountain bike

I like pie.
    Quote Originally Posted by drjay9051 View Post
    I am considering a second bike weighing in at about 23 pounds, more of a trail cross country bike. I would use it for the longer, winding and flatter cross country type stuff.

It would be a hardtail.

Is it a waste of money. Would i feel a difference in the hardtail and in a bike 10 pounds lighter?

I could easily lose 25 pounds myself and imagine this would be the logical step.

Reason i ask is i have been told that for cross country flat type stuff a lighter hardtail is preferable.

Any thoughts on this.
    Gads! You'd feel a huge difference. Like night and day. Pedaling uphill, you would feel like a god compared to your 33lbs AM rig

mtbr member
    I currently ride a Jamis XAM 2. It's an "all mountain" weighing in at 33 pounds. Very solid. Frankly much more bike than i need. i got a great deal through Jenson last year so i bought it. i do not do big jumps, ever !! Mostly intermediate stuff with some small drops.

It would be a hardtail.

Any thoughts on this.
    I think it is a good idea of you have the money to spend and will end up riding it. In my eyes a bike is worth it if you put miles on it. If it sits collecting dust then where it value? I have 3 bikes. One does not get much use, but that is because it is my old mtn bike. I keep it, but it got replaced so it is ok to sit. My other two are my main mtn bike (26" hardtail) and carbon road bike. I got road bike used for a good price and ride that mostly mid week. I found it alot more fun than I anticipated. Still when I have time to ride on the weekends it always falls on my Mtn bike. I have probably put more miles on the road bike this year, but it is easy to rack up 18-20 miles in 1 hour of road riding.

Anyway the point is that I am happy to have both since I use them. I don't really want another mtn bike however since I am happy with my hardtail. I ride it everywhere.
    Joe
    2003 KHS Alite 4000 26" Hardtail - XC, All mountain, blah blah blah.. I just ride.

Professional Crastinator
    You NEED another bike.

I ride different bikes based on my mood, not the terrain. My go-to bike is my rigid 29er. I never get tired of that instant trail feedback and no-loss pedaling.
    If I am feeling lazy, I take the FS 26er.
    If I am riding indoors, I take the old rigid 26er with the cheap brake levers and rear derailleur.
    I also have a 29er cruiser for when I'm drunk. It steers so slowly that I almost can't fall off of it.

You NEED another bike.

-F
    It's never easier - you just go faster.

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by Fleas View Post
    You NEED another bike.

I ride different bikes based on my mood, not the terrain. My go-to bike is my rigid 29er. I never get tired of that instant trail feedback and no-loss pedaling.
    If I am feeling lazy, I take the FS 26er.
    If I am riding indoors, I take the old rigid 26er with the cheap brake levers and rear derailleur.
    I also have a 29er cruiser for when I'm drunk. It steers so slowly that I almost can't fall off of it.

You NEED another bike.

-F
    I'm about the same way. FS and rigid 29'ers for however I'm feeling that day. I think the minimum bike number for me is 3: All mountain bike, dual purpose rigid for commuting and trails, and a road bike. I don't yet have a road bike.

mtbr member
    It's nice to have a few. 1 bike just can't do it all as well.
    FWIW, a HT is my fav all around. A fs is nice sometimes, as well as a rigid or road bike. Even when it comes to a type of bike like let's say road bikes. One of mine is a racer and accelerates and turns quick, my other is a tourer and even thou it's steel also, and around the same weight, just that slight increase in steerer rake, and a few inches more wheelbase makes it so much more stable, comfy for long days on the saddle, and over bumps and whatnot. Depends what/where/how you wanna ride. Always test ride. Geo changes things. Not to mention frame material/construction.

Weight on spinning mass, like your wheels, crankset, pedals etc. will "feel" and do the most. Weight on other parts of the bike will help too.
    Body weight will help, but more in ways of cardio/ability IMO, unless you're really overweight, unfit, or unskilled.
    With that said, heavier can and will help many areas of training better, as well as possibly add durability, but can take away some fun factor, speed, maneuverability, and flickability.
    It's all about a balance, even when you have more than 1.
    my 2 sense
    Last edited by theMeat; 02-25-2013 at 12:43 PM.
    Round and round we go

29er and 26er
    Mar 2012
    The correct number of bikes to have is n+1

I currently switch between my HT XC 29er for trail riding, my 26" SS for commuting, and my old road bike for the road.

My next project will be a fixed gear track style bike....

I say why not, and go for it.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011

It would be a hardtail.

Any thoughts on this.
    A light 29er hardtail is a really good complement to an AM full suspension bike. I have a 29er full suspension trail bike and a hardtail 26 that I use to practice manuals, wheelies, bunnyhops etc.

mtbr member
    There is absolutely no point to having a second bike!!!!

Is what you will say to yourself when buying your third, fourth, fifth.....

Welcome to the n+1 club

EMBA Member
    This morning, I packed a bag with my riding gear for a ride tonight. Last thing was to load my bike, but the back tire was flat from my ride yesterday, so I just tossed my spare bike into my truck and rode tonight anyway. I didn't have time this morning to deal with the flat plus I wouldn't want to work on the bike in office clothes. I also lend my spare bike to people visiting that want to go for a ride. Lastly, it is helpful to have a second bike when my main ride is in the shop. If you can afford it, definitely get the second bike.