mtbr member
    Apr 2013

Seatpost mount racks

Any opinions/suggestions?

I need a small rack for my commuter/trail bike (Trek Wahoo). The size and ease of mounting has me interested in seatpost mount racks.

Thanks

mtbr member
    It depends quite a bit on what you want it for (expect out of it) and how much you are willing to spend.

I had a couple of different racks over the years that clamp to the seat post with a quick release clamp type set up. They move pretty easy if you do anything other than ride straight and smooth. Even jumping off a curb could cause the rack to swing to the side a little. I fooled with them a little, but generally wasn't very happy with the set up. They are pretty heavy for the most part, but not real expensive.

I currently have the Arkel Randonneur rack and the trunk bag that goes with it. I only use it a couple of times a year when me and my brother do some gravel grinder century rides. I don't use them much, but the set up is the best rack I have owned by far. It clamps to the seat rails, so it has to turn the whole seatpost if it is going to move. Super easy to take on and off. Really good quality, and pretty pricey. The bag just has velcro straps and has a handle on top. Real easy to carry it someplace with you. Did I mention it was spendy? I think it was worth the money though. I like quality stuff.

Arkel Randonneur Rack - Seat Post Rack - Carbon Seat Post Friendly

Arkel's Rack bag | Trunk bag

If your bike has the tabs and you want to spend a little less money I suggest you look at the racks that attach to the frame. Not as easy to remove, but solid and not real expensive.
    I'm not very smart, but I can lift heavy things