mtbr member

Seatpost clamp question?

I would like to have a quick release clamp on my seatpost instead of the bolted one that came on the bike.

The seatpost is listed at 31.6 mm, how do I know what size quick release clamp to purchase or are they all standard and is one brand better than another?

mtbr member
    31.6 is the seatpost diameter, which is the inside diameter of the seat tube. The QR clamp would need to match the outside diameter, which is probably 34.9mm (or 1 3/8") but double check; take the post out and measure the outside of the seat tube.

Hope and Salsa are pretty well-regarded, there are a lot of other brands out there that are good as well.

mtbr member
    Very technical stuff? You would think the clamp would be sized to the "stated" seatpost size?

Crank brothers have a nice split lever clamp, but $45??

Front Range, Colorado
    Quote Originally Posted by rickcin View Post
    Very technical stuff? You would think the clamp would be sized to the "stated" seatpost size?

Crank brothers have a nice split lever clamp, but $45??

It is, just match up the numbers. And as stated
    above Salsa or Hope are good as well as many
    others. But those two brands make a top notch
    product. Any question while purchasing can be asked at the bike shop. If buying on line just match the numbers up.
    --------- __o
    ------- _`\<,_
    ------ (*)/ (*)
    ************^^^^^^^^^Rock Garden

mtbr member
    the clamp doesn't go on the seatpost, it goes on the frame, and it matches up with the corresponding dimension on the frame. If your frame uses a clamp-on FD, most of the time the seat clamp is the same size.

$45 is, IMO a little much for a seat clamp, and it's Crank Bros, which means sure it looks cool, but it will probably break the 3rd time you use it, like everything else they make.

mtbr member
    I was looking to buy a QR clamp in order to raise the saddle when putting the bike on a work stand.

Thinking now, I might be better off with the Bontrager Torque tool, which is a 4MM pre set allen tool and I could just use that every time when using the work stand.

What do you think? Cheaper than a new QR clamp.

Quiet Professional
    I have a black 34.9 qr clamp you can have if interested.

Front Range, Colorado
    Go for the quick release, as you get better your going to want to lower the seat for steep technical terrain.
    --------- __o
    ------- _`\<,_
    ------ (*)/ (*)
    ************^^^^^^^^^Rock Garden

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DIRTJUNKIE View Post
    Go for the quick release, as you get better your going to want to lower the seat for steep technical terrain.
    Yeah, I think you are correct, the QR clamp will be more useful especially when out riding the trails.