mtbr member
    Jan 2005

seat post collar: quick release -vs- bolt-on?

looking to get another HOPE for my bike. I always used quick release but was thinking of getting a bolt on with the thought that i rarely adjust my QR and the bolt-on may actually hold better. what's your set-up, thoughts, opinion.

bolt on is definately cheaper

pedal pusher
    I prefer bolt-on. I never touch it once it's set right, so I see no reason for the extra weight of a lever. It's also safer if you ever lock your bike up outdoors, which you probably don't, but still.

Yeah, cheaper, too.

Get a gravity dropper, then a regular seat post binder would be just fine If you don't adjust your seat by all means get a simple binder bolt. However, if your qr clamp isn't holding your seat post in place, it's not worth much anyways.
    "...the people get the government they deserve..."
    suum quique

MTBiker
    Oct 2006
    I have the Hope quick release. I constantly change the height for climbing then lower it for descending. If your bike is only for say, dirtjumping, bolt one is prob fine
    We can bomb the world to pieces, but we can't bomb it into peace -Michael Franti

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by f3rg
    I prefer bolt-on. I never touch it once it's set right, so I see no reason for the extra weight of a lever. It's also safer if you ever lock your bike up outdoors, which you probably don't, but still.

Yeah, cheaper, too.
    If you lock your bike outdoors, taking the saddle away is the safest .
    Having QR then is a good idea.

pedal pusher
    Quote Originally Posted by xenon
    If you lock your bike outdoors, taking the saddle away is the safest .
    Having QR then is a good idea.
    Yeah, I was thinking more along the lines of locking it up while you run inside the coffee shop for a minute.

Built4Speed
    I prefer a bolt-on seat-post binder to save some weight and for security. If you ride in a city like San Francisco,chances are there will be some crack addict stealing your seat & post and selling it.
    "Faster and faster until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death."

Five is right out
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by gsy971
    looking to get another HOPE for my bike. I always used quick release but was thinking of getting a bolt on with the thought that i rarely adjust my QR and the bolt-on may actually hold better. what's your set-up, thoughts, opinion.

bolt on is definately cheaper
    If you don't need QR because you don't change seat height, and bolt-on is cheaper, it's a no brainer, no?
    Since when did the phrase "invest in" come to mean the same as "buy"?

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    i actually do sometime (not too often though) take my post off or adjust. just thought carrying an extra hex key to use on a bolt on may be just as easy. sometimes using that QR can be tricky trying to find the feel of how tight is just right as to keep your ass in the air but as not to pinch the seat tube too tight.

i think i'll get a BO

thanks for all the input

re member
    I know a guy in San Fransisco that will sell you a whole seat and post far cheaper than you will pay for just a clamp at the LBS.

And he has a huge selection

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I'm switching to a quick release because my bike doesn't fit in the back of my SUV without the seat being lowered. Its a real pain using an allen key each time.

Nice day for a ride.....
    I pretty much have to use a bolt on clamp to solve my slipping seatpost issues on both bikes. And it makes sense since I set the seat height and never mess with it.
    Cheaper, lighter, more secure. Just makes sense.

im4Gsus
    the QR seem to lose grip after a while; the bolt on stays put.
    "If God is your co-pilot you're in the wrong seat!" S Barrington