mtbr member
    May 2013

Seat level with bar

Hello

I would like to know If have the seat level with the handlebar for cross country is important??

thanks

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator

Seat level with bar

Quote Originally Posted by trek88 View Post
    Hello

I would like to know If have the seat level with the handlebar for cross country is important??

thanks
    No. Having the proper bar and saddle height for you is important. That may or may not be level.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    People who ride XC race tend to have the seat higher in relation to the bars compared to people who ride more all mountain. I trail ride on a full suspension and my seat is about 1.5" lower than my bars because that's the position I like. You are the only one who knows what is most comfortable and effective for your body type and riding style, though.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator

Seat level with bar

Quote Originally Posted by MSU Alum View Post
    People who ride XC race tend to have the seat higher in relation to the bars compared to people who ride more all mountain. I trail ride on a full suspension and my seat is about 1.5" lower than my bars because that's the position I like. You are the only one who knows what is most comfortable and effective for your body type and riding style, though.
    And is that because they/you have the saddle lower relative to the BB or have the bars higher?

It is really the height from the BB that matters for both bar and saddle. I will change my saddle height on the trail for the terrain, but I do not change the bar position. The bar to saddle relationship is different while the bars remain in the same place, and the basic fit of the bike (especially while standing) is unchanged.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

I like pie.
    Back in the day XC types would ride with the bar as much as three inches lower than the saddle (In the mid 90s I ran mine one or two inches lower). These days I run the bar level one bike and about a half inch higher on the other.

Experiment and find what works for you. But make sure your saddle height is correct first.

High Desert MTBer
    What if I was to increase the length of my stem, keep the grips in the same position, but lower the saddle, would that affect the handling?!?!

Just KIDDING!!!
    It's all Here. Now.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    My problem my seat is maybe 1.5 inch lower than my bar.

mtbr member
    It's not a problem unless it causes a problem. As other's have said already your saddle height is important -- mostly for the health of you knees. There are guidelines what the angle between your upper leg and lower leg should be when your foot on the pedal is extended as much as possible. But that's just a starting point and people move from that point quite a bit based on preference and whether climbing or descending. Most new riders start off with their saddles too low.
    The height of your bar is a personal preference based on comfort and your ability to control the bike. Lowering your bar lowers your center of gravity and makes you more aerodynamic. But not everybody is Gumby and can have their bar 3" lower than their saddle. If you are comfortable then all is good.
    You can always go to a bike store and ask for a fitting but while I think those are good for roadies I don't think fittings are as important for mountain bikers. Of course, you can always get their opinion and then choose to ignore it. Most stores will charge you for a fitting unless you bought a pricy bike from them.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by borabora View Post
    It's not a problem unless it causes a problem.
    That is correct. The seat height should be set for good pedaling. Too low and you will never get good power down and too high and you a reaching. Once you set the seat height you can worry about where the bars are. Low bars vs high are a comfort issue when riding and also balance issue when climbing and descending. Lower front bars will tend to put more weight on them and when climbing this helps keep the front end weighted and keeps the bike steering. Not enough weight on the front and the tire will wander and it will making climbing hard. Too low on the front and it can create comfort issues (being bent over) and can make the descents more scary due to the feeling of being too far forward.

Only you know what is idea for you given and can be dependent on body geometry. Leg, torso, and arm length along with core strength. Also there are things you can with body position on the bike to get one that climbs well and descends well. For example on really steep seated climbs I will crouch down and sit on the forward tip of the seat. This moves a lot of weight forward to keep the front end down and yet puts good weight on rear tire to get it gripping. When standing and climbing again you need to shift the weight a little to keep the front end down while also maintaining good rear traction. Same thing i with descending as well where you need to shift the weight.

So since your seat is lower than the bars do you have any bike handling problems? If so lets address those and determine if bar height is a factor in that or no.
    Joe
    2003 KHS Alite 4000 26" Hardtail - XC, All mountain, blah blah blah.. I just ride.

mtbr member
    Duct tape iz like teh Force. It has a Lite side and a Dark side and it holdz the Universe together.

mtbr member
    You need to set your saddle position first. Height and fore/aft.

Then you can move onto your handle bar position.