mtbr member
    Dec 2011

scandium vs titanium seatpost

Anyone with experience on both or just scandium?

I need setback and 31.6 400mm so i am thinking between ControlTech team issue 1sc and J&L titanium but for J&L waiting for answer from seller, dont know price yet.

There is only one Ti with setback and with not to high price, van Nicholas, but I have read that clamp is really bad. Here is quote:"The big problem is the titanium extends about 5-8mm outside where the rails sit. This is a problem with the saddle I've had for years (a Specialized Alias 143) because it's a narrow saddle. Together with the sharp edges on the clamp, it wore a hole and tore my shorts last time out and grazed my leg"

Anyone using Van Nicholas?

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Why not thompson?

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by aBicycle View Post
    Why not thompson?
    Because aluminium is harsher than a scandium alloy, titanium, and carbon. FWIW I ride a niner One9 scandium, and its compliant (for a hardtail), but Im not sure if its more/less compliant than Ti. Good luck searching.
    Something wrong with your bike? Blame it on super human strength and sleep well at night knowing you are more than a man.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by ZXFT View Post
    Because aluminium is harsher than a scandium alloy, titanium, and carbon. FWIW I ride a niner One9 scandium, and its compliant (for a hardtail), but Im not sure if its more/less compliant than Ti. Good luck searching.
    More or less compliant depends of a world of variables such as ubing od and wall, butting, shaping etc.... Scandium was developed for aerospace because alloying aluminum with extremely small amounts of it (usually less than .3% by weight) serves to limit grain structure growth in the heat affected zone when welded. We also used it in castings and forgings for aerospace applications. It's cool sh#t but 3-2.5Ti is better for a seat post IMO.

One small suggestion to the OP..... don't cheap out on a seatpost. Thor and the Twins are right there in the neighborhood..if you get my drift.
    Monte
    Lodging & Guiding for SW Utah Trails
    http://www.vrbo.com/298759
    www.UtahMountainBikingAdventures.com
    MTBR Discounts